New 2019 Ram Pickup Truck

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
It seems the reveal of the new 2019 Ram pickup was today at the Detroit Auto Show. While there are lot of new, and seemingly really good engineering, features and performance upgrades, I am not so keen on the new look. It seems to be a step backwards in time compared to the look of the Fords and all new Chevrolets for 2019.

2019 Ram 1500 – More Space. More Storage. More Technology

2019-Ram-1500-VLP-Style-Hero-1-Exterior-Styling.jpg.image.1440.jpg

The new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado looks more modern to me at least, although it isn't a home run either to me because it looks too cluttered:

2018-Chevy-Silverado-1500-Exterior-Gallery-1.jpg

The Ram looks more like a throwback to the 2003 GMC pickup:

01126061990020.jpg

It seems with so much on the line for the Ram trucks, they could have done better in order to keep increasing their share of the market as they have been doing in the last few years. It seems that guys that buy these beasts want a really bold look, not a more subdued one.

In a nutshell... dropped fenders equal poor aerodynamics, equals the front is not as prominent and bold. I agree with your assessment, but it is better in person.

There is a 2019 Ram Rebel model. I am not sure what exactly is this grille design resembling. A biker's horseshoe mustache? Darth Vader trying hard to take a big dump?

2019-ram-1500-rebel-dirt.jpg

I will say that I sense (and encourage) a huge aftermarket opportunity for whoever will tool up some snap-in vertical bars that fit the center of the grille, thus continuing the crossbar grille that has been around for decades.

It would be pretty easy to do, and it would make me very happy to see someone crap upon the 20-something, tight-pants wearing idiots who killed the theme. And they could make a few bucks!

Everyone’s got their opinions, and I respect them all. But damn that’s a sweet looking truck... The bells and whistle’s, good God!!

And you still can’t haul a sheet of plywood with the tailgate closed in most of these vehicles(I hardly can call these trucks, they’re more a sport utility than anything else).

All of these trucks suck.....literally.

I walked my local Dodge dealer lot and saw many trucks that cost as much as a Hellcat and the styling, features and performance just isn't there.

Most of the pickups sold today are wretched excess beyond reasoning.
I can't wrap my head around the conundrum of Millenials being useless as **** and not wanting to work and years later buying $60,000.00 trucks. wtf...

This is why the newest vehicle I own is a 2009 Toyota with the only options being the 5.7 and tow package. I can't get the damned thing to break down.
The new Ram reminds me of the old Lincoln suv/truck look.

Designing vehicles in wind tunnels is what got us to the look-alike cars of today, and now it has extended to trucks. At least they didn't F-up the inside with the exception of the wall mount TV in the middle. One thing that annoys me is that they have increased the height of the box sides by an inch. As it is, I think I am average height, and I can't reach over the side, or tailgate, to grab something on the floor. The cab is also 4 inches longer. I would rather have had a longer box. I'll have to see it in person before I make my final decision on whether to love it or hate it.

Designing vehicles in wind tunnels is what got us to the look-alike cars of today, and now it has extended to trucks. At least they didn't F-up the inside with the exception of the wall mount TV in the middle. One thing that annoys me is that they have increased the height of the box sides by an inch. As it is, I think I am average height, and I can't reach over the side, or tailgate, to grab something on the floor. The cab is also 4 inches longer. I would rather have had a longer box. I'll have to see it in person before I make my final decision on whether to love it or hate it.
I believe the box height is to match the theme they all have of trying to appear bigger than they actually are. Run one next to a useful 70's or 80's model and they make it look almost wimpy.

We have gigantic $60k luxury trucks in 2019 because Jimmy Carter killed our C-bodies and knee-capped the US auto industry in 1977.

Congress had two choices for achieving increased efficiency—raise the gasoline tax or regulate less use. Relying on market forces was the most efficient approach to reducing oil use but then every motorist would know who was making them pay more and drive less. So, in typical politician fashion, Congress chose the regulatory approach which has morphed into a climate action program....

...the Big Three had to sell small cars at a loss to induce their purchase and raised the price of larger models to compensate. In time, they also figured out how to get around CAFÉ, which had different requirements for trucks by creating SUVs.

Although CAFE was promoted as a way to reduce dependence on foreign oil, it did not achieve that objective since oil imports continued to rise. And, there were other examples of the law of unintended consequences. Since higher miles per gallon lowered the cost of driving, people actually drove more—the economic principle of the rebound effect.

speaking of oil, prices are up! Not a fan of the 19 Ram or their house like prices.

In time, they also figured out how to get around CAFÉ, which had different requirements for trucks by creating SUVs..

Thank you, the highlight of that statement was really evident when I was vehicle shopping in 08... I knew I was buying used, but hadn't determined much other than we needed a truck or SUV. Viv's printing enterprise needed a delivery vehicle every once in a while, so the pickup with a cap option didn't seem water tight enough. Looking at approximately 7 to 10 year old options was a real eye opener, fuel economy wise. I went by published ratings, knowing they would be optimistic, and settled on the suburban due to it's useful flexibility (4x8 sheet hauling became a requirement at the end of the search), cost of ownership (10 year old auto repairs, not many have parts as cheap) and fuel economy. To save 1 or 2 MPG to drive a tiny SUV or P/U is just crazy to me. I was astounded by how bad the fuel economy was on so many small footprint SUV's... because they weren't sold in a time when that was a primary consumer concern (for those models)... A Ridgeline should not get essentially the same fuel economy as my 1/2 ton 'burb.

Sorry Carmine, even if I knew about Mexican Ramchargers... they won't haul full sheets of drywall while closed up.

Back