new and looking for info.

finnasnewport

Reaction score
hi ya'll i'm new to the forum having just purchased a 62 newport 2 door hard top.
i don't have much history on the car but it was last registered in 2016. i had it towed home and i'm in the process of going through the systems and trying to make it a driver/restore project.
with that said, i have the 361 running and compression is 120-122 in all 8. she starts up first try and is running great. with that done, i turned my attention to the push buttons that shift the trans. they were sticking and not working.
one of the mounting studs that secure the shift controller had pulled free and it was flopping around. it was also very dirty and gummed up. i removed it (a serious pain) and cleaned it. fixed the stud, it seemed to shift fine. i replaced it (an even bigger pain) and put the car on 4 jack stands to start working on the brakes.
when i started the car, with the neutral button pressed, the rear wheel is turning, since the brakes are not functioning i shut the car off, pushed another button and the car would not start which i'm guessing is the neutral safety switch working. so to be clear what is happening is the car starts with the neutral button in but the drive wheel spins and won't start with any other button pressed.
i do have the service manual and although its hard to tell, i think i have them where they should be. they seem to fit right in place but i didn't take a picture. i have looked on line but haven't found any pics.
anyway, any help or suggestions would be very helpful

The car should only start in the Neutral position, so yes it appears that the neutral safety switch is working properly. A rear wheel turning slowly is probably nothing to worry about unless you think the transmission is still engaged with the button in neutral. I would suggest getting the brakes functional first. Once that is done, you can drop the car off the stands and see if it tries to move in neutral, if the car acts like it is drive, something is way off with your cable adjustment. If the car remains at rest, it is probably set correctly. In Neutral, there won't be enough hydraulic pressure to move the car if everything is adjusted properly. With the wheels off the ground, there is often enough static drag from the clutch packs to cause a wheel to turn with very little torque. If this car sat for a long time I would also suggest doing a fluid and filter change and a band adjustment on the transmission. FSM has good detail on this operation. Section 21-43 of the FSM covers the cable adjustment preceedure

Dave

Last edited:
hey, thanks for the reply.
if i can ask another question, it seems there are tons of GM and ford aftermarket part suppliers. are there any for the c bodies?

hey, thanks for the reply.
if i can ask another question, it seems there are tons of GM and ford aftermarket part suppliers. are there any for the c bodies?
Depends on the year, but 1962? Total Chrysler production, Newport, 300 Sport, New Yorker, 300H was less than 120,000 total. Compare that to Chevy whose production of Impalas alone in the same year was almost 750,000. You bought a car with a one-year body and almost no after-market for it. Good luck!

However, all is not lost. Since I sold my '62 New Yorker in 2003 many of the things that were not available then are now. That's good.

I'm sure someone will tell your this, but a '62 is not "technically" a C Body; that starts in '65.

As I said, good luck! You have a car that not many else do. Have fun with it, drive it, and enjoy it!

:rofl:Take a PhD course in Googling.

Add Duck Duck Go, Bing, and whatever else your favorite search engines are. Finding parts is like pulling teeth from a minnow with a pair of vice grips!! Good Luck

prehistoric-googling-search-results-back-in-the-old-days-5408458.png

i have a 61 newport. found push button linkage and a conversion cable to work w later 727. how does the cable secure to the shifter housing so it will stay in gear? can you get a picture?

hi ya'll i'm new to the forum having just purchased a 62 newport 2 door hard top.
i don't have much history on the car but it was last registered in 2016. i had it towed home and i'm in the process of going through the systems and trying to make it a driver/restore project.
with that said, i have the 361 running and compression is 120-122 in all 8. she starts up first try and is running great. with that done, i turned my attention to the push buttons that shift the trans. they were sticking and not working.
one of the mounting studs that secure the shift controller had pulled free and it was flopping around. it was also very dirty and gummed up. i removed it (a serious pain) and cleaned it. fixed the stud, it seemed to shift fine. i replaced it (an even bigger pain) and put the car on 4 jack stands to start working on the brakes.
when i started the car, with the neutral button pressed, the rear wheel is turning, since the brakes are not functioning i shut the car off, pushed another button and the car would not start which i'm guessing is the neutral safety switch working. so to be clear what is happening is the car starts with the neutral button in but the drive wheel spins and won't start with any other button pressed.
i do have the service manual and although its hard to tell, i think i have them where they should be. they seem to fit right in place but i didn't take a picture. i have looked on line but haven't found any pics.
anyway, any help or suggestions would be very helpful

dude ive had my 61 newport since 1990. let me know if you want to help each other. i need to see how the cable is secured to the linkage housing in the dash! as always i cant find jack

Back