New dog!

When I worked for General Electric, we had 18 people working at our location and 8 of them were named Dave. We had to use last names and descriptive names like "Long hair Dave".

I was standing next to the site manager at a meeting and he was talking to us and he called me Dave by mistake. I told him that I wasn't Dave and that I had changed my name to the "employee formally known as Dave".

None as good as original!!!

Years ago we had a Lab-mix female rescue named 'Rocket'. Smartest and most lovable dog we ever had. Of course, we couldn't just call her "Rocket." Sometimes we called her 'Rocky Pox', and later that turned into 'Rocky Pox Poo Poo Face'. Rolls of the tongue nicely. . . Don't ya think ?

You have my permission to name your new friend "Dusey Pox Poo Poo Face."

Well, we decided to pass on this one I am very sorry to say. There ended up being 1 too many reasons that we shouldn't get her, mainly the health history. The owners couldn't even provide us with any contact info from the "breeders" they got the mom and dad from. Hell I could tell you where I got Dues from and I never had any intention of using him to breed!

Matt, I gotta ask, why do you need to know the history?
I've heard a lot of horror stories about poorly breed Danes. The health issues that this breed is known to have if not carefully breed, can start to show up at a very young age. That's not to say that I wouldn't take the chance if we didn't get mixed signals from the owners. Like I said before, you can't tell me its a comforting thing to be told that they don't have any info from where the parents are from and it was only like 4 years ago. You keep things like that, at least I do.

O.K. I personally know very little about Great Danes. I do know a fellow who always has at least two. He has had pronblems where a dog may have had to be put down at two years old because of health...... I need a dog thats gonna live long, I cant handle the short life spans like that...

Probably a good move on your part.

Given the genetic health issues like wobblers (spine compression) and hip dysplasia along with the Vet bills and heartache, it's best to move on.

Our first Great Dane came from a breeder that sold him as "pet quality" with a neuter agreement. He was very healthy and a great dog. We didn't do our research on the second Dane and while he was a very sweet and wonderful dog, he had some serious health issues and we had to have him put down.

The dog we have now, being a rescue, has no history but at least we know the he's healthy now. A pup is a crap shoot.

I took a chance with Dues. I bought from a "Dane breeder" but not a reputable one and got lucky on the health side of things with 10 good years which is phenomenal but he had some pretty serious aggression issues through most of his middle years. Believe me when I say that an aggressive 185 pound dog can make for some scary moments! I was even advised to put him down when he was only 2 or 3 because of it, no way that was happening! He had a great life but most of it I had to protect the public from him. Bob, you were never in danger, he had mellowed out by then....

I took a chance with Dues. I bought from a "Dane breeder" but not a reputable one and got lucky on the health side of things with 10 good years which is phenomenal but he had some pretty serious aggression issues through most of his middle years. Believe me when I say that an aggressive 185 pound dog can make for some scary moments! I was even advised to put him down when he was only 2 or 3 because of it, no way that was happening! He had a great life but most of it I had to protect the public from him. Bob, you were never in danger, he had mellowed out by then....

It's good you are conscientious Matt ... good plan to be safe

No problem......Dues was only looking for a snack. LOL!

Wow.... I have only seen one "aggressive" Dane and that was because he was beaten and left alone. The woman that has that Dane has rehabilitated him. She's the one that hooked us up to get House and I saw him when we were there. He's a big sweet dog now but the first time I saw him he couldn't be trusted.

Back