New Dual Exhaust

73Coupe

Reaction score
Well, I'm finally going to be putting duals into my NY'er this January. I looked at all the threads where y'all talked about this subject previously. I looked at TTI and Waldron's.
TTI is in stock for about $700, Waldron's is about 10 weeks out for about $500, and both are just parts only, nic shipping. So I went down to my local exhaust shop here in Belmont and the owner quoted me roughly $600 for a made-to-order system, installed. I think I'll be using Walker mufflers, #18381: 25" length x 9.75" x 4.25".

The system that's in the car now is original except for the turbo muffler that a previous owner put in (and it sounds like shite). There are many holes in the tail pipe, and I get exhaust smell in the car whenever I'm at a stop and I'm sick of it.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on what to use for hangers for the left side. I could just leave it up to the shop to fab something, but would prefer to use an original style hanger if possible. Anybody got anything?
Also, is it necessary to get a different shift linkage torque shaft for the pipe to go through that area?

IMG_3774.JPG

If he's gonna make a custom exhaust he'll most likely hang it for you. That what my exhaust guy does. Builds it while on the rack. That price SHOULD include installation.
IMHO

On the 69 the left side uses a secondary bracket to attach the hanger to, this is over the differential, the only other hanger is at the bumper and is the same on both sides.
2015-02-12_003.jpg

2014-10-16_002.jpg

Now the 73 may be different but the point is the rear probably uses the same hanger on both sides
The fronts are different plus the addition of the bracket on the left.
Some cars have yet another hanger forward of the muffler, no comment on those.

Just let the shop do their thing.

Alan

Last edited:
That's how it worked for me. Dropped the car off. He built it and completely installed it for me.

Yup my guy builds and installs it. From the flanges to the tips. The other good thing I like about a shop-built setup is minimum number of joints. The TTI setup is in multiple pieces which I didn't really like the idea of. More leak potential. The shop also can fab up one piece tail pipes including the turn down tips just like original.

One thing I'm debating on is having a mechanical clamp (not welded) upstream of the mufflers, in case I need to drop the pipes for any future work. On the other hand, my tranny is new, so I don't expect to have to extricate it for at least another 20 years.

Have faith in your shop guy.

Ask him also if he can get the specific Data Bend Cards for your car - that will tell him exactly where to bend stuff and save him time.

The cards will be on file somewhere...

You may as well get it welded all the way. Once clamped those pipes are crimped, you're not gonna get that joint back apart shy of an air chisel. You can ask if he can do a slotted joint with band clamps.

Last edited:
On the 69 the left side uses a secondary bracket to attach the hanger to, this is over the differential, the only other hanger is at the bumper and is the same on both sides.
View attachment 159243

View attachment 159244

Now the 73 may be different but the point is the rear probably uses the same hanger on both sides
The fronts are different plus the addition of the bracket on the left.
Some cars have yet another hanger forward of the muffler, no comment on those.

Just let the shop do their thing.

Alan

Great, exactly the photo I was looking for. I found a few muffler hangers like that on feebay, maybe the shop can just fab a bracket similar to what yours looks like, to properly attach it to the cross member.

Have faith in your shop guy.

Ask him also if he can get the specific Data Bend Cards for your car - that will tell him exactly where to bend stuff and save him time.

The cards will be on file somewhere...

I will ask him. He's very good, the best around this area. He's done work for me before.

You may as well get it welded all the way. Once clamped those pipes are crimped, you're not gonna get that joint back apart shy of an air chisel.

That's a good point! Plus corrosion, etc...

Unfortunately, my experiences with muffler shops and their "built in-house" pipes has been very bad, even from the more reputable shops locally. Personally, I like pipes I can basically put on in the driveway or on a vehicle lift instead. That leads me to Walker Exhaust (NAPA sells their stuff, too). They also have many, if not all, of the OEM hangers! Go into their catalog and look around, at least for the hangers.

Many muffler shops like to weld their pipes, BUT that also means that if some adjustments are necessary later, that's not going to happen without a welding torch. In these shops, you CAN request clamps instead, BUT the clamps they might use are thinner-than-OEM gauge clamps, which can stretch, making you wish you'd opted for "welded". With the clamped system, you can also opt for a "tack weld" at the clamped joints, but not a "full weld".

The "custom built" system, also means that if something needs replacing or changing, you will have to return to "them".

I think I'd go with Waldrons, personally, if I couldn't get what I needed from NAPA/Walker. Factory configuration, quality clamps and all.

If you're looking at TTI, I'm presuming you are desiring to upsize the pipe diameter?

CBODY67

I have a TTI system on my street/strip '68 Sport Fury and love it. It flows very well, fits good, only needed a little tweaking to fit perfectly and it comes with all the mounting brackets that you need.

If you want to have a local shop do one, what some folks do for the left side pipe is loosen up the gas tank straps and move the tank over a bit to the right to give just enough clearance for a 2" tailpipe to fit between the tank and the frame rail.

I was really interested in getting a factory correct set up from Accurate exhaust until they stopped making C body stuff. :(

These pictures are of my 75 NYB dual exhaust. They may or may not help you. I was in a bind because my old system was rotten so I purchased 2 flow masters and had a local shop install everything, there are certainly things I’d change, but until then I’m happy.
F848A051-D9E2-41B9-AB4D-2D3C22C1BD5B.jpeg

43FE7F33-B2FC-4F36-B8D4-A9F672748D84.jpeg

1F939FF1-DF5D-4F2E-B467-A96B5019A8B5.jpeg

This is the factory placement of the tail pipes on a 69,
2015-12-04_001.jpg

2015-12-04_002.jpg

As you can see the pipes run under the frame, the left corner of the tank is angled to make room for the pipe to get through.

Alan

No pictures of the pipes installed, a couple of the original pipes out of the car
2011-09-27_001.jpg

2014-01-04_007.jpg

The second picture better reflects the placement, just increase the space for the driveshaft.

Alan

I was really interested in getting a factory correct set up from Accurate exhaust until they stopped making C body stuff. :(

You would think they would be able to make up a set whenever ordered. I thought they used to have C body stuff, but quit making them due to demand?

I’ve got their performance hemi mufflers on the monaco, love the sound of em.

I installed a 2.5" TTI system on the 68 Monaco several years ago. I used swap meet 40 series mufflers so you can hear the 440 coming. It fits very well out of the box. I'm technically challenged and was able to do the install in a day so the system is truly plug and play.

IMHO, the TTI stuff is really nice and it's what I have on my car. The hangers are all there and all fit with no hassle. I had a friend's shop install them and I'm pretty happy. They don't really match up to factory pieces if that is what you want. You can usually get a deal, especially at a show, on the prices if you shop around. I bought mine at Carlisle from Rob's Rod Shop and they drop shipped direct from TTI.

That said... If you have a good shop near you, that's a pretty good option. I don't have anything like that around here, so my choices were pretty much confined to what I could buy and install myself (or have installed). The price sounds good, although I would be sure that includes a "H" pipe and be very specific how YOU want the pipes to exit the rear.

Back