New Evaporator for '68 New Yorker AC?

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
As you may or may not know, I'm in the process of getting a '68 New Yorker back on the road after being abandoned for 40 years! I am going to be removing the dash soon, and I know that THIS is the time to tackle the heater core. I've read some threads here on FCBO about replacing the evaporator. What is it, and where could I possibly find one new? Don't know if it matters, but my car is not an Auto Temp car (thankfully.) I appreciate any help I can get!

As you may or may not know, I'm in the process of getting a '68 New Yorker back on the road after being abandoned for 40 years! I am going to be removing the dash soon, and I know that THIS is the time to tackle the heater core. I've read some threads here on FCBO about replacing the evaporator. What is it, and where could I possibly find one new? Don't know if it matters, but my car is not an Auto Temp car (thankfully.) I appreciate any help I can get!

I think this is what you are looking for:

1965-1968 CHRYSLER DODGE PLYMOUTH C BODY DUAL HEATER COIL & BY-PASS VALVE CORE | eBay

You may need some of the related parts shown here:

Great deals from Classic Auto Air Manufacturing | eBay stores

I've seen some listed on Ebay also. I'll budd pulling my box out hopefully in the next month or so. I've got a good used evaporator, but may need a heater core. Mine doesn't leak, but I may have it tested and cleaned.

DMT (I think) makes and insulation kit to redo thed box while you have it out. Be extra careful when removing the vacuum lines that control the doors on thed box.

Nobody makes new evaporator cores for these cars. The original core is pretty stout and they rarely leak as long as nobody has abused or butchered the fittings that stick through the firewall. Once you have yours apart, just give it a good cleaning and visual inspection. If you don't see any obvious damage, it's likely to be fine. You could go the extra mile and rig up some fittings to pressure test it or try bringing it to a local A/C shop to have it pressure tested.

You can treat the heater core the same way, but if your California car spent years with just water in the cooling system, it's likely that the core is junk and needs to be replaced. If it looks good on the outside, I'd hook it up to your garden hose and flush it out to see how much gunk is in it.

Jeff

Back