New fuel cell has major leak

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
8623710D-C2A0-4FD2-9AC7-AD2F2A89397A.jpeg
400A2892-E0CE-4E81-9BAE-84B71CE5D42E.jpeg
C698DE9B-CCDA-453A-8D2E-8818A66B2EDD.jpeg
Another Chinese crappy part
So I purchased a new fuel cell from Summit Racing. Installed a few months back. Have been practically rebuilding the whole car. About to fire it up. Put trans fluid in the new rebuilt trans. Look good. No leaks. So then I put fuel in the cell & was going to switch on the electric pump & flush out the new fuel line & see how fast it filled a 2 liter bottle. As soon as I put down the fuel jug I could hear the fuel absolutely pouring out on the shop floor. Looked under the car & it’s raining gasoline. Looked the back of the cell & it’s pouring out a seam where the cell is seamed together. Brand new cell first time it’s had fuel in it. So I called Summit Racing last night & their customer support is closed till monday. So I sent off this scathing e-mail this morning. I have a video showing the gas pouring out the back of the new cell. Let’s see how they handle this. Not sure on the warranty or if they will accuse me of improper installation

It’s frustrating to purchase things and have this happen but will probably get more frustrating when you ask for warranty. Not that I have had any dealings with Summit but usually the first thing you usually get from vendors is the empathy card “I am sorry your having problems” which puts me over the top immediately because in all reality they really don’t care and aren’t the least bit sorry. Then they slowly turn it around to it’s probably “an installation issue”.
Hopefully I am wrong and they take care of it.
By the way what did you do wrong!!! Just joking.

68413217_2542586785806931_5018865187424305152_n.jpg

I take you never did do a good, thorough visual inspection of this tank before install? I would think with a leak like that you'd be able to see where it wasn't welded before installing it, but what do I know? Good Luck

View attachment 412612

I take you never did do a good, thorough visual inspection of this tank before install? I would think with a leak like that you'd be able to see where it wasn't welded before installing it, but what do I know? Good Luck
It's plastic. Just like 98%of all the car made now. QA is lacking period.
Woman at the appliance store this weekend brought up a good point that most of the manufacturing plants were shut down during initial lockdown and now running at 1/4-1/2 capacity with workforce that is thinner for social distancing. Do you think QA is going to be compromised? Disappointing when safety equipment fails before is even gets used most of this stuff has a SFI rating, test by a lab to say it's safe for racing, so it had to pass somewhere.

And to add salt to the wound......
RJS CLASSIC DRAG FUEL CELL • American Made • Optional 12 Bolt Billet Aluminum Screw on Cap Available • Stainless Steel Hardware • Rollover Valve Fitting

RJS CLASSIC DRAG FUEL CELL • American Made • Optional 12 Bolt Billet Aluminum Screw on Cap Available • Stainless Steel Hardware • Rollover Valve Fitting

From their website:
RJS RACING makes safety equipment for all racing applications.

Is your safety equipment designed and tested to SFI specifications?

RJS Safety Equipment is designed, made and, tested in the USA to meet or exceed SFI specifications.

It's plastic.
OMG, so what is it, plastic or metal? This is why I don't ask any questions on the net and do my own research, because this is what you get, idiots & stupidity!

OMG, so what is it, plastic or metal? This is why I don't ask any questions on the net and do my own research, because this is what you get, idiots & stupidity!

The tank is plastic! The cap and hardware are metal. Doesn't anybody do their own research anymore! :lol:

The tank is plastic! The cap and hardware are metal. Doesn't anybody do their own research anymore! :lol:
On mine the cap is plastic. Did my reasearch. Couldn’t find any negative postings. Consulted with several fellow racers & they didn’t know anyone that had used one. When I got it I didn’t like the seam on it. Posted again on several sites for advice on this thing post purchase & not one single reply. So I installed it.

That sucks Bob, I know you're chomping at the bit. After this gets fixed, how much left before you hit the track?

You know that old saying you get what you pay for... Bob apparently thinks 100-150 dollars for a fuel cell is good. But when you spend that little money and don't pressure test it when it shows up who didn't do their homework?

You know that old saying you get what you pay for... Bob apparently thinks 100-150 dollars for a fuel cell is good. But when you spend that little money and don't pressure test it when it shows up who didn't do their homework?

If QC was anything but worthless to nonexistent, you shouldn't have to do a dam thing to ensure it's safety & function of said tank, regardless of price!

Back