New Fury III Guy

redvettemike

Reaction score
Hello: I recently found this forum and have joined. I am a retired guy and do a bit of restoration work on some old classic cars. I recently took on the restoration of a '69 Plymouth Fury III convertible. I am attaching some pictures of it here. We are not doing a nut and blot restoration job, but will freshen it up quite a bit. There are some rust issues in the floors and trunk and in the bottom of the body panels. We are dipping the fenders, doors, hood and trunk deck and will replace the floors and do some patch panel of the body panels. The top is not good and the interior needs some help also. the car is just a 50000 mile car and the engine (383, 4 bbl) seems to be sound as does the trans and rear end. We will rebuild both front and rear suspensions. In any case. I am glad to IMG_5685.jpgIMG_5688.jpgIMG_5697.jpgfind this forum and will be posting some questions and asking for a bit of help as this build goes along. I'll post a few pictures as progress is made.
Tks,
Mike

IMG_5685.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg

:welcome: .looks like it was originally a 2 barrel , what color was it originally? Looks like green.......

:welcome: I come to believe they were only available in green from the factory. ;)

Last edited:
What Vette ? ;)

Last edited:
:welcome: .looks like it was originally a 2 barrel , what color was it originally? Looks like green.......

IMG_5698.jpgIMG_5793.jpgIMG_5913.jpgIMG_5909.jpgThanks for the welcome. It was green. I think it was originally a 4bbl engine. Serial number is PM27M9D.... which I think indicates a 4bbl engine?

IMG_5698.jpg

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_5913.jpg

IMG_5909.jpg

You mean "N"? M's were used in 72 for the 400. L would be a 383 -2 and N would be a 383-4

Yeap, you could be correct, I see the HP exhaust manifolds,. Damn , you arent wasting any time

Nice car and an original big block, very nice, looks like you are moving along very quickly, what are your plans for it when you are done?

Nice car and an original big block, very nice, looks like you are moving along very quickly, what are your plans for it when you are done?

This Fury belongs to a friend/client of mine and I am restoring it for him. He will use it as a driver and go to some small shows/cruise in's around here. His kids and wife are interested in it too. I drove it and it runs well; sort of floats down the road. It will be a great driver when done. We are going to replace the old a/c with a Vintage a/c system. We already have put in a new gas tank and lines (will have to pull again to cut the trunk floors. It needs brake lines too (best place to get such?) The dash is in bad shape broken on the bottom under the steering wheel and someone put (glued) a carpet type pad on the top. Looks bad. I would like to get a replacement dash which is likely to be difficult? Thanks for the interest and questions. The owner wants it black(!) We will have to get it pretty straight.

original crack free dash pads can be pricey and will be extremely difficult to find. Best bet, have yours restored

We did a bunch of work restoring a '61 Desoto. I sent the pad off to Just Dashes in Ca. They charge a lot but they did it good. I guess my best bet it to do that with this one?

Nice Fury Vert !!! good luck with it..

Hey Stan has anyone Vetted this guy yet ?? :eek:s_dancing2:

Last year at the All Chrysler Nationals I spotted a black pad for a 69 Fury mixed in with a bunch of other pads. It was in very good shape and priced good at $150.00. I dont need one but offered the guy a hundred for it, he gracefully declined. The pad was gone two days later. Point is, they are out there but you have to be in the right place at the right time. So many guys are looking for these pads that it could turn into a bidding war if found on e-bay, a bidding war that could take it to $700.00 without a care.

Just dashes or a similar restorer may need to happen.

This Fury belongs to a friend/client of mine and I am restoring it for him. He will use it as a driver and go to some small shows/cruise in's around here. His kids and wife are interested in it too. I drove it and it runs well; sort of floats down the road. It will be a great driver when done. We are going to replace the old a/c with a Vintage a/c system. We already have put in a new gas tank and lines (will have to pull again to cut the trunk floors. It needs brake lines too (best place to get such?) The dash is in bad shape broken on the bottom under the steering wheel and someone put (glued) a carpet type pad on the top. Looks bad. I would like to get a replacement dash which is likely to be difficult? Thanks for the interest and questions. The owner wants it black(!) We will have to get it pretty straight.

Yeah the dash is most likely to be restored as your best bet unless you want to spend time at swap meets on the off chance one turns up, they are very hard to find and they are not reproduced. Regarding the airconditioning being replaced, you can buy the kits readily to rebuild the old twin banger pumps in these things. If it is NOT an airtemp fitted car then I would think redoing what you have would be an easier and cheaper option. The kits can be gotten from rockauto or even advanceauto i think.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Look up Innline Tube for your plumbing needs.

Wasn't there a post here within the last couple of days looking for someone to restore his C-body?

A question: on this '69 would the firewall have been originally the body color? The radiator support also (both front and back?)? The inner fenders would have been semi gloss black? The hood hinges body color? If the firewall was body color where did the color break (to black) take place?
Thanks,
Mike

Back