New girl

The Judge

Reaction score
My new 63 windsor, we had a 64 300 growing up.

All tucked away for winter. Wondering if anyone has done an air ride set up in one if these?

Screenshot_2016-01-15-00-09-41.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. As far as Air ride? You wont get much help here, Lot's of purist Here.

The problem most have with air ride, aside from aesthetics, is that by the time you have cut the car to pieces and welded in all of your fabricated mountings... the car is pretty much destroyed. It would be a ridiculous amount of work to install and worse to ever consider trying to undo. Body on frame construction makes the install easier and cheaper... but still destroys the frame and what ever sheet metal that gets cut. Unibody cars like ours are stronger than body on frame, but rely on every piece of metal that was welded or bolted to make up that strength. Simply welding in a metal brace doesnt bring that back when its in a new position with less leverage to hold that part of the body in position.

Remember, once the cutting begins the car is pretty much valueless and hard to sell. Between the expense and amount of skilled labor and expensive equipment involved to jig it up and weld in the mounting locations correctly... very few ever seem to get finished, or finished well. The engineering of a suspension is far more complicated than just bolting in that part and the aftermarket suppliers you would get parts from only need worry about fit... you're the engineer. This makes all ride quality and handling concerns your problem, and the car will likely be considered unsafe for road use if you ever get an inspection or piss off a cop. So put aside some funds for the enclosed trailer you will need to go anywhere.

You will get lots of help here if your looking to repair or preserve. We wont discourage modifications for improvement unless the car is exceptionally rare or original... but those mechanical upgrades, like a new carb, can be undone as easily as they were done and make the car easier to enjoy. Most of us wont like to see a car chopped up to do a modification that most of us know wont turn out well. Its not that we are old and hateful, we are experienced and knowledgable. I am a Master Tech and have an extensive resume in my field, some of these guys have engineering backgrounds, others have many decades of racing and loving and restoring thier cars. Most of the time if we say its a bad idea, its not simple hate... we have reasons.

BTW
Welcome... you have a very nice looking car.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! I see you've met cantflip, he's our resident talker...

Welcome, nice car.

X2 on what Cantflip said. Your front torsion bar suspension doesn't lend itself at all to air bags. You are also starting with a northern car (Windsors were sold in Canada) so now you may have other rust issues in the uni-body that may not bother you until you start welding on it.

The bagged cars that you see are cars with full frames and coil spring suspensions.

You know who I am waiting to chime in on this post, don't you people? Looking sideways for a big Imperial dropped to the ground to cruise in here.....

You know who I am waiting to chime in on this post, don't you people? Looking sideways for a big Imperial dropped to the ground to cruise in here.....
No bags on the Pimperial.

Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the group, no one here likes to cut the old girls up.
I'm pretty happy with the purchase I bought it though a Kijiji wanted ad by looking at the photos. I'm quite used to seeing these northern rust buckets and this one is from the east coast it has been filled and painted about fifteen years ago I had to plate the front sub frame to pass Ontario inspection.

So as far as bagging the old girl goes that's what I'd like to do I'm not interested in hopping all over the place like an impala or something just the option set her down.
Not easy with the torsion-aire suspension

So what if.... I know you can get quite a bit of difference in ride hight by playing with the torsion bar adjusters ( I leveled it then dropped the front almost two inches) I've heard crazy notions of making those automatically adjustable either by electric motor or hydraulics. Not something I'm going to just start hacking into this car to accomplish, but I think it can be done and might explore on a parts car if I find one.

So what if.... I know you can get quite a bit of difference in ride hight by playing with the torsion bar adjusters ( I leveled it then dropped the front almost two inches) I've heard crazy notions of making those automatically adjustable either by electric motor or hydraulics. Not something I'm going to just start hacking into this car to accomplish, but I think it can be done and might explore on a parts car if I find one.

I saw that somewhere... no idea where. Its not going to be cheap and is likely a bad idea from a safety standpoint... there is a lot of pressure at those T-bar mounts.

FWIW I have worked on a great many factory air and hydraulic suspensions. They have a much higher failure rate than steel springs and are usually more expensive to repair. One feature that is always there on a factory system... they never touch the ground. You may have trouble with potholes and speed bumps... it is unsafe to "lay frame". If a street driven car failed and dug in, you could have a very serious accident.

Also your inner fenders are structural support, they should not be cut to fit the tires/suspension.

Back