New Here with a '61 Imperial

OKDart

Reaction score
Figured I'd introduce myself here instead of the Welcome Wagon, looks like the Imperial section needs some more posts.
I bought my '61 Imperial a couple of weeks ago and have been working on getting it running and driving. It's been sitting for about 13 years over dirt. Not a whole lot of rust for an unrestored 50 year old car, but does have some holes. I'm not new to Mopar, but am to the Imperial, I also have a '70 Charger annd a '68 Dart. Here's a couple of pics...

rsz_img_1048.jpg

rsz_img_1065.jpg

:sSig_hihihi:...............welcome to the forum. Nice Imperial.....god luck with it. I am absolutely unfamiliar with anything that old so I wouldn't know where to begin. Good luck with her.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Nice Imperial! Look forward to some more pics!

Yes welcome to the site.. She is beautiful. I love the older cars with the wings. Someday I may own one.

:eusa_clap: Nice score! Not a Cbody but you are still welcome. What does it need to become road worthy? Long term plans?

:eusa_clap: Nice score! Not a Cbody but you are still welcome. What does it need to become road worthy? Long term plans?

The ForCBodiesOnly Site is the closest thing I've found to a Tech Forum for Imperials, I've found http://www.imperialclub.com/ which is a wealth of knowledge.

I fired it up yesterday, but it wouldn't idle, so I didn't let it run for too long. It still doesn't have any brakes at all, I'm waiting for a new master cylinder to show up. All the fluid was gone from the system, so I might have more issues once I get a working master cylinder. Also the linings on the parking brake separated from the shoes, so I'm looking for replacements (see first pic). See post: http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?t=754 Ebay has them for $80+ shipped, but I'm going to call a brake relining place after the holiday. Right now I have to chock the wheels.

Everything in the interior needs attention due to being sun baked and from moisture. The seat upholstery rips when you sit on it and the foam turns to dust. 95% of electrical is inop or sluggish like the power windows. I think I can fix most by just cleaning connections and lubing. The glass is crystal clear when cleaned up, I was surprised about that, the windshield has a little fog around the edges in spots and a small delamination spot at lower center but overall in great shape.

My plans for it are to get it running/driving and polish the original paint to make it more presentable. Then fix everything that doesn't work while I drive it. After that I'll offer it to a freind of mine that wants it for whatever $$$$ I have in it at that point. If he doesn't take it I'll keep it and get rid of my Dart to make room.

IMG_1070.jpg

rsz_img_1150.jpg

rsz_img_1103.jpg

rsz_img_1059.jpg

That is a kool car! Look forward to seeing more of it.

Nice '61! I believe that was the last year of the fins. Love the gun port tailights and the exquisite chrome.

:welcome: I love those Imperials. Good luck with the build. If your friend doesn't want to buy your car, I would like to take it off your hands. No hurry, if it was me I would sell the dart, bt thats me I love big cars, even pink ones with fins! Post more pics of the re-build.

:welcome: I love those Imperials. Good luck with the build. If your friend doesn't want to buy your car, I would like to take it off your hands. No hurry, if it was me I would sell the dart, bt thats me I love big cars, even pink ones with fins! Post more pics of the re-build.

If you're serious, check the Oklahoma City Craigslist the next couple of months. I've decided to sell it.

I have my Dart 99% done, and I did the whole damn thing in my driveway due to my Charger taking up most of the garage. So I've decided there's no way in hell I'm doing another car in my driveway.

I haven't done a whole lot on the Imperial due to a record amount of 100+ degrees days this summer and I've worked more overtime this year than the past 10 years (I am extremely grateful I have a job though). And I've spent most of my spare time getting the Dart completed.

I've taken the Imperial for a spin, even on the interstate, but still needs a lot of bugs worked out. I think there is a restriction in the exhaust or the crossover is stuck closed due to lack of higher RPM power and some popping/backfiring. I still don't have anything electrical working in the interior. I get nauseous laying on my back working under the dash. Something on the Trans is leaking, I think it's the shaft for the kickdown. I think the valve body has to come out for that.

So, the plan for now is get the Imperial running a little better and put it up for sale. Then, finish my Charger which is in the garage (monumental task).

I really love the 57-61 Forward Look Mopars, and the '61 Imperial has it all, but I just have too much on my plate right now.

If you're serious, check the Oklahoma City Craigslist in the next couple of months. I'm gonna put it up for sale.

I've got the Dart 99% done and did the whole damn thing in my driveway because my Charger is taking up most of the space in the garage. So, I've decided I'm never going to do that again all in my driveway.

I haven't done a whole lot to the Imperial due to the record amount of 100+ degree days this summer and the most overtime I've ever worked (though I'm extremely grateful to have a job). I've driven it locally and even on the Interstate. Still needs alot of bugs worked out.

So the plan is to get a few more bugs worked out of the Imperial and then sell it. Then finish the Charger (monumental task).

I really love the 57-61 Forward Look Mopars, and the '61 Imperial has it all, but I'm going to just focus on one project at a time.

Very kool. I can already tell you're not going to want to sell it once you've turned it into a driver. I probably wouldn't either!

Back