New Member, 1967 Imperial

bajajoaquin

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm a new member here, with a new (to me, obviously) Imperial. It's a '67 Crown hardtop sedan. It's pretty original, but has some rust issues. Somehow, all you guys in rusty parts of the country have all the rust-free California cars, and I live in San Diego, but ended up with a Minnesota car. Go figure.

Anyway, I bought it as a driver, rather than a real restoration candidate. Immediate needs to address are the brakes, cold starts, the transmission shifting, muffler, and a "clunk" from the torsion bar mount.

I've purchased new rotors and pads, and have a few extra sets of pads from the previous owner. I also have three sets of Budd calipers (including the set on the car), and one has been sent off to be rebuilt. Since the driver's side caliper is leaking pretty badly, I'm not driving it (much) until the new calipers come in. I also have new shoes for the rear. Calipers should be back in another week, so I'm hoping to have the car back, safe for the road by Christmas.

Cold starts will be addressed by a good, old-fashioned tune-up. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, coil and condenser will all go in, as well as the old ATF-in-the-oil trick for a noisy lifter, and new exhaust manifold gaskets. The carb is a non-stock, manual-choke model. I'll check float height when I'm in there, and generally try to get it to work as well as possible, but eventually, it's coming out for an electric choke model, probably an Edelbrock.

Once it's tuned up, or as part of that process, the kickdown linkage will get a little attention, and I'll put on a new muffler.

The previous owner said that the clunk is the attachment point of the driver's side torsion bar to the chassis. The bushing has worn, and when it's unloaded, it rattles a bit. I don't have a lift, so I haven't been able to confirm that, but we'll see. Another idea floated by the Imperial group is that a transmission mount (which needs to be replaced) could also make that noise.

At some point in the next month or so, I'll also do compression and leak-down to see where I am with the engine. It generally runs nice, but feels a bit soft. I have my fingers crossed that I've got a couple years of easy driving out of it before I need to pull it out and overhaul it.

Sorry about the length of my first post. Unfortunately, I don't have any really good-quality pictures to make up for it, just crappy cell-phone pics.

Imperial 2013-11-20(1).jpgImperial 2013-11-20(2).jpgImperial 2013-11-20(3).jpgImperial 2013-11-20(4).jpg

Imperial 2013-11-20(1).jpg

Imperial 2013-11-20(2).jpg

Imperial 2013-11-20(3).jpg

Imperial 2013-11-20(4).jpg

Welcome aboard. Great looking car I love the red interior. Your pictures look great, better than most, and the most important part you included pictures in the first place. I love the '67 Imperial hope to own one some day myself.

Welcome, welcome! Great looking car. I'm pretty sure, I've seen the pinstriping on the trunk before.

Great to see another slab saved and being put back on the road, I hope you enjoy your time here. :icon_super:

Welcome aboard, :sSig_greetingsthor:

That is one classy looking ride !!!!!!!!! :cheers2:

A sound plan on a very desirable Imp. Thank you for rescuing her and welcome to the site.

Thank you all for the welcome.

I decided to do this car a little differently from some others I've bought. Generally, I find myself chasing problems, cheaping out, and getting tired of the car not working right. This time, I decided I had a budget to buy a car and get it going and reliable (within the realm of reality). Before I start using it daily, I'm going to do the maintenance and repair it needs, and then (hopefully) be left with ongoing regular maintenance.

I have hit a few setbacks, but that means a front-end rebuild is put off for a couple of years, probably around the time the engine gets rebuilt. But by that time, I'll know if it's a keeper, or if I need to move on.

I really like Engel's cars, but T-birds and Continentals are out because of budget, and age: the ones I like are pre-67, so they don't have safety glass nor rear seatbelts (for the baby seats). Although Chryslers were on my radar, I had never considered an Imperial, but this one came for sale, and I kinda bought it on impulse when I had a wad of cash in my pocket while I was shopping for a boring commuter car. For $2900, I probably overpaid, given the rust issues, but I can still probably turn it into a driver and not go over my $5500 budget.

This can only end well. :D

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Nice Imp and I'm very partial to the '67s.

No real updates, since I'm waiting for the calipers to be sent back after rebuilding, but I did drive it around to do some errands today.

It is really going to need a muffler soon. This one sounds horrible, and is puffed up and split. I just need to crawl under it to measure inlet and outlet diameters, as well as center/offset layout. I'll buy a cheapie for now, and switch to freer flowing duals if/when I do a rebuild.

I'm also really looking forward to getting the new shocks on there, as it really wallows bad. And new tires. And the driver's side window decided that it didn't want to go back up....

Ahhh. This can only end well.

Imperial 2013-12-15(1).jpgImperial 2013-12-15(2).jpg

Imperial 2013-12-15(1).jpg

Imperial 2013-12-15(2).jpg

You are going with white walls, aren't you? There's a good low cost fix for your power window motors and the tutorial is on this site. You can do an advanced search on power windows and find it pretty easily but there are some tricks to getting the motor out without breaking your hand too so make sure you know what you're doing before you start. Do all your lights and signals work?

You are going with white walls, aren't you? There's a good low cost fix for your power window motors and the tutorial is on this site. You can do an advanced search on power windows and find it pretty easily but there are some tricks to getting the motor out without breaking your hand too so make sure you know what you're doing before you start. Do all your lights and signals work?

Yes, I'm going with white walls. Not wide whites, but stripes. So far, I've found Coopers or specialty tires. Coopers are about $85 each, and the specialty tires (like Coker) are like $300 each. Have any opinion on size? The standard seems to be 235/75. It's about the same width as a 9.15-15 that came standard, but it's only 28.5" high, rather than 30.1". I was thinking about one of the 255 tires but nobody seems to make a 255/75 which would be the right height. 255/70s are about an inch taller, but all you can get is SUV tires (which may not be bad, since they're about the same weight and ride characteristics). I'll probably stick with the 235s, but if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Most of the lights and all the signals work. Headlights, taillights, cornering lights, brake lights, turn signals all work. Signal cam is bad, you have to hold the stalk. Horn works. Courtesy lights inside work, but the instrument lights are a little dim, and don't respond well to the rheostat. I'm not sure all the interior lights work. There should be some map lights in the back, and I'm not sure if I just haven't found the switch, or if they don't work. Headlight relays are on the list.

Other known issues include the passenger rear window, which is off its track, the under-dash panel is missing a screw (you can see it in the interior pic I showed), and the remote trunk release doesn't work.

I'm not sure about Auto-Temp. I have felt the air conditioning when I bought the car, but it gets hot inside some times. I'm pretty sure the rear heater core leaks, because it's been blocked off (why else, unless you just don't want to fix it?).

When I go through that list, and the one in my first post, it seems pretty daunting. That's why I haven't put it all down on a single list yet!

Thanks for the tip on the windows. They will probably be my fourth project, after brakes, tune, muffler. If it looks like I'll be able to drive it daily after that, it will get new tires. Otherwise, I'll have to reevaluate. I really don't have the time or space for a project car that doesn't also act as a regular driver.

Back