New member intro : '57 Desoto Firesweep

baker53

Reaction score
I had a '57 Desoto Firesweep Sportsman back in high school in '62. I traded it off for a '56 Chevrolet and had traders remorse for the past 50 plus years. I found another '57 Desoto Firesweep Sportsman on ebay and was able to win the auction. The car is in pretty good shape, but lots of work to do. I have restored a number of cars over the years, but this one is really special. Not counting the dealer that sold it on ebay, I am the second owner of this 38,000 mile car. I researched the previous owner and she bought the car new and drove it sparingly. She passed away at 92 and the car stayed in storage for many years. The car runs, but the brakes need work as well as some body work and replacement floor pans in the front. I listed a few pictures of the car below. Hopefully, they will come through OK. Thanks for the great site and I look forward to making my Desoto a roadworthy car once again.

1 57 LFT SIDE VIEW.jpg3 57 LF FT VIEW.jpg4 57 LF RR QTR VIEW.jpg9 57 DASH FM RT.jpg18 57 RR INT.jpg

1 57 LFT SIDE VIEW.jpg

3 57 LF FT VIEW.jpg

4 57 LF RR QTR VIEW.jpg

9 57 DASH FM RT.jpg

18 57 RR INT.jpg

nice car I remember it from ebay. Think you got it for 14k$. A decent price.
It wasn't the right one for me as I don't like the Firesweep front fenders and prefer the Firedome/Fireflite/Adventurer version.
Enjoy your fine automobile.
57-59 Desotos and Chrysler are the best looking Forward look cars built imho

THAT is the car (except it was yellow/white) that my grandfather brought home new in 1957 and ruined me for life.
I have a very special place in my heart for those cars.
Welcome Baker.

I had a '57 Desoto Firesweep Sportsman back in high school in '62. I traded it off for a '56 Chevrolet and had traders remorse for the past 50 plus years. I found another '57 Desoto Firesweep Sportsman on ebay and was able to win the auction. The car is in pretty good shape, but lots of work to do. I have restored a number of cars over the years, but this one is really special. Not counting the dealer that sold it on ebay, I am the second owner of this 38,000 mile car. I researched the previous owner and she bought the car new and drove it sparingly. She passed away at 92 and the car stayed in storage for many years. The car runs, but the brakes need work as well as some body work and replacement floor pans in the front. I listed a few pictures of the car below. Hopefully, they will come through OK. Thanks for the great site and I look forward to making my Desoto a roadworthy car once again.

View attachment 26154

:sSig_greetingsthor: ...... :welcome:
Thanks for stopping in and sharing your great DeSoto and it's story with us.

That A/C must be a rare option on a 57. Do you know if it was factory or dealer installed...?
Fell free to look around our site and jump in anytime you feel like it. Don't let these guys scare ya....... We're all teddy bears here ....... except for a couple of curmugions

Welcome and nice car!

Reminds me of my Dad's 57 Windsor.

That is a very nice car and the price seems very reasonable. It even looks like it has the original seat fabric on the front seats no less, which is very rare on these models since they usually didn't hold up well over time. That will be a very rewarding restoration. Like Plumcrazy I agree that the Desotos and Chryslers were the best expression of the Forward Look. You did great!

Similar to Stan, it was when my dad took me with him to a used car lot in 1959 that I first saw a Forward Look car that stunned me so much that it ruined me for life - it was a 1957 Chrysler 300C. I couldn't believe how awesome it looked to me, a little boy and the incredible fins at the back and the gaping grille. I ended up buying one many years ago and fully restored it. This is how it still looks today.

300C #1.jpg300C #2.jpg300C #3.jpg

300C #1.jpg

300C #2.jpg

300C #3.jpg

Holy Crap, nice job!!!!
That is a very nice car and the price seems very reasonable. It even looks like it has the original seat fabric on the front seats no less, which is very rare on these models since they usually didn't hold up well over time. That will be a very rewarding restoration. Like Plumcrazy I agree that the Desotos and Chryslers were the best expression of the Forward Look. You did great!

Similar to Stan, it was when my dad took me with him to a used car lot in 1959 that I first saw a Forward Look car that stunned me so much that it ruined me for life - it was a 1957 Chrysler 300C. I couldn't believe how awesome it looked to me, a little boy and the incredible fins at the back and the gaping grille. I ended up buying one many years ago and fully restored it. This is how it still looks today.

View attachment 26159View attachment 26160View attachment 26162

My parent's friends had one very similar to this one. I remember loving those fins even as a young boy.

View attachment 26159View attachment 26160View attachment 26162

Do we have a drooling smiley?

Do we have a drooling smiley?
:sleepy3: This comes close.

One of my favorite station wagons of the FW cars would be this Firesweep Shopper model. Nearly extinct.
Very nice car, good original interior has always been one important detail as a buy-factor.

Hi Will, I believe the A/C was done at the dealer. Thanks for informing me about the site.

That is one beautiful 300C. You sure did a great job on the restoration. I'm sure my '57 Firesweep won't hold a candle for it, but I am hoping it will be an enjoyable project and bring back a few memories of the one I had in '62. I am in the process of redoing the brakes now with new lines, hoses, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and turned drums. I finished up the cleaning and repainting of the engine and the various accessories.
items.painted engine 1.jpgpainted engine 2.jpgDIST 2.jpgpainted parts 1.jpgpainted parts 2.jpgpainted parts 3.jpgpainted parts 4.jpgPAINTED RADIATOR.jpgpainted wheels 2.jpg

painted engine 1.jpg

painted engine 2.jpg

DIST 2.jpg

painted parts 1.jpg

painted parts 2.jpg

painted parts 3.jpg

painted parts 4.jpg

PAINTED RADIATOR.jpg

painted wheels 2.jpg

The "poly" engine is one of the most visually interesting engines Chrysler made. Even the intake manifold gets you looking at it.

"That is one beautiful 300C. You sure did a great job on the restoration. I'm sure my '57 Firesweep won't hold a candle for it, but I am hoping it will be an enjoyable project and bring back a few memories of the one I had in '62. I am in the process of redoing the brakes now with new lines, hoses, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and turned drums. I finished up the cleaning and repainting of the engine and the various accessories." originally posted by Baker

I think your efforts look great, and I can appreciate anyone tackling one of these older cars - they are tough. The main thing is to do it the way that most pleases you, and enjoy the heck out of it. After seeing so many other bodies such as A, B and E at car shows, just showing up in any one of the full size cars is a welcome relief to the sameness. Just as an aside, I have the exact same distributor machine - a real coincidence!

Last edited:
Welcome to the party Baker. The '57 firesweep I raced across Michigan on my wedding day waz white where yourz iz white and black where yourz iz coral. Only difference iz that we'd swapped the Polly for a 331. I loved the way that cylindrical speedo made that red line move from west to east acrossed that dash. Ah rooster tail in the snow from Ypsilanti to Holand that afternoon and all I'll say 'bout the time involved in that trip iz that that red line bounced on 140 more then once. Gawd I loved that car. Went looking for it in the late '60s and found it. Wished I hadn't, the intervening yearz had not been kind to that vertical stableizer Beauty

Top shelf stuff there........ You've been holding out on us..... :sSig_goodjob:

He's just been waiting for approval through a new sub forum. :)
If I ever cut back to one or two old cars I'll make one a FW or other late 50s model I guess.

I am in the process of redoing the brakes now with new lines, hoses, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and turned drums. I finished up the cleaning and repainting of the engine and the various accessories.
items.

No reason to make apoligies about your car Bill, Most here would love to have it.
Looks like your doing it right too. (Love the distributor machine).

Absolutely beautiful cars!!!

Gary needs to get his head examined....:poke:

Back