That's interesting. I have a chance to buy a set of what I am told are C-body road wheels locally. Even though I don't have a C-body I am thinking they are probably none too common in these parts and that maybe I should grab them if they are as good as the seller claims. They are almost literally down the street from where I live.
If they are 16 slot then you can be pretty sure they are right.

Depends were you are. German Autobahn's and major highways no problem. Big cities are ok until you get to small side streets with cobblestone. A lot of cobblestone streets left in Europe. There's a lot of roads in other countries; i.e., Italy that have roads that are lucky that 2 subcompacts can pass each other in opposite directions. Crazy driving on those roads. People pass on blind curves all the time. Even I didn't do that kind of crazy sh*t.
I drove in Europe for 15 years and didn't crash or hit anything ever. Once nice law on the Autobahn's (one's with no speed limit) is that if your driving in the far left lane, you have to watch your rear view mirror and the law says you CAN NOT impede the speed of anyone behind you...it's the law, you have to move to the right and not impede the person coming at you at 200mph+...no if's, and's or but's. There's people flying at 150 -200 plus ALL the time. Normal speed in the other lanes is 100mph+. I miss that kind of driving bad! The first year back in the states for me was terrible...a lot of speeding tickets.

Man, they need the law here. I see to many "yuks" just tooling along in the left lane.....and then get pissed when people honk at them.

As mentioned by 1978 NYB generally no big deal driving around in a full size American car; after all most of the roads have to be constructed for trucks and vans as well. Drove around a couple of years with my 1960 Chevrolet Bel Air without any issues as well. Parking spots and especially garages are one main problem for me. I can't get any of these in my second garage which I use as a workshop.

Average speed on the German Autobahn is a bit down I think, first of all there are many, many spots with speed limits and with high gas prices saving fuel is an issue as well, not talking about too many cars on the roads, traffic jams etc but a general speed limit as in nearly all other countries has always been avoided successfully, German car lobbyists from high performance manufacturers saved us from this I think.

Last edited:
Yeah, gas is becoming a nagging issue over here as well. $4 a gallon for 92 octane. Starting to put a dent in the wallet. I bet it's even higher there.

I wish the 92 was only 4 bucks here in the Detroit area but that's what we've been paying for the 87 for most of the summer!

Double that figure and you got about what we have to pay for.

Double that figure and you got about what we have to pay for.

Oh yes, they sell gas by the LITRE in Europe. Lucky for us in the U.S. military, we were issued ration cards for fuel and we paid what the average price of gas was selling for back in the "World" (military slang for UNITED STATES). We also had to remove cat converters and install a test tube because they didn't have unleaded gas in Europe until the early 90's. If I remember correctly. I left in 1992 and I think unleaded gas was just starting to phase in. Don't get me wrong, there were speed limits on Autobahn's in conjested areas like in and around major cities. I honestly believe that the Germans will NEVER allow speed limits on every mile of Autobahn.

Yes, the unleaded fuels got gradually introduced in the mid 80s and by the end of the 80s it was quite readily available as the government encouraged new car buyers with 3 or 4 years of tax free registration for cars with catalytic converters.

Yes, the unleaded fuels got gradually introduced in the mid 80s and by the end of the 80s it was quite readily available as the government encouraged new car buyers with 3 or 4 years of tax free registration for cars with catalytic converters.

I bought a new 1989 Z-28 in Germany through the PX and had to take the cat off and ran on leaded gas until I left in March of 1992. I had 90 days after my return to THE WORLD to put the cat back on.

005-1.jpg

001-9.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-9.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-4.jpg

005-1.jpg

Couple of documents that came with the car. How many days did you have to go to work to buy a set of Polyglas tires ?

006-2.jpg
008.jpg

006-2.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Last edited:
That's kool to have some good paperwork with the car. My Imperial came with quite a bit of it including the glovebox manual with the handwritten maint records.

Hi,

just found my old baby here.
I bought it of the original owner back in 1997 after it had been sitting in the garage for 17 years. I drove it across Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma down to Houston Texas. It was very reliable even though the engine was tired.

I remember that the original owner, Franklin, traded in a 1966 Chrysler to buy it.

I drove it a lot but it slowed down after some years in 2001. After just driving it once in a while I decided to sell because it would be better for the car if it gets more driven than I did it lately. So I advertised it back in 2003 and sold it to Klaus.
Just a half year ago I ran across the old ad for it which gave me the track on the car in 1997. I still have it somewhere.

Carsten

I have a copy of the ad. Got it from Daniel, but if the pics from the day of the sale in Mo. turn up, I'd like to have a copy.

I do have them for sure. But unfortunatly I have so much stuff floating around: It is difficult to locate it. I will keep in mind whenever I will run into it.

Carsten

the room?
It is two rooms in my Mums appartment, two rooms in her basement, one room in my appartment where I live with my girlfriend and another basement is full of stuff

Back