1977newyorker

Reaction score
Hi, just came into possession of a triple black 77 new yorker. I'd appreciate any info i might need to know. I'm new tge C bodies. Thanks

Get some ballast resistors to keep in the glove box, they're known to go out often. Some pictures would also be very welcomed

Welcome aboard. That era of NY'er was my dream car in HS. I had a "magazine cut out" of that car on my Driver's Ed notebook. Looking forward to seeing photos.

Welcome to the board. There are a number of us out here with "Formals". Once you get it and drive it a bit, you will see what she needs and we will be more than happy to help. Let us know if the Lean Burn electronic / carburetor has been replaced with a "regular" carburetor and if it was up-graded with an independent electronic ignition. Just had mine out today; get ready for lots of thumbs up from other drivers.

Manual A/C or AutoTemp II?
Do the wipers work.
Install an Edelbrock.
Don't try to personalize it with stupid wheels and fuzzy dice. It's a Formal fer petesakes.

These pics are from a prevous shoot for RM Sotheby auction in 2018.
The carb has been replaced, but we think its incorrect, only a 650. Edelbrock. Thinking if looking for an original thermoquad.

15.jpeg

9.jpeg

20220514_121905.jpg

should i go back to the factory "lean burn" setup? or what's a better aftermarker carb for this car? i see so many Edelbrocks and even Holleys that i don't know what i'm looking for.....

I would recommend you drive the car with the current carb and determine if you like how it runs over-all. I have a 17K 1978 NY with a 440. The Lean Burn was troublesome after a few years when these cars were new, even worse when they are older. I would guess that 97% of owners who regularly drive have replaced the carb with something similar to what is in your photo, a good old mechanical carb with and electric choke.

The 440 engine throws off a lot of heat, which may results in hard starting - idling issues in extremely hot temperatures [85 F +] with ethanol enhances fuel [corn gas here in the mid-west].

You have a beautiful car, but these will never be the mega-priced Mopar's like the Cuba and Roadrunners. Get the car to run so you can drive it and enjoy it. No one is going to turn their nose up because we had to update a few components to adjust for operation in 2022.

Leave the AVS 2 on it, I love mine. Please do not go back to Lean burn. It worked okay in testing at Chrysler, It worked okay when the car was new, It won't work worth a damn today. Most of the folks in this group are died in the wool Chrysler guys. They wouldn't do it. Just go digging. You'll find the answers. Great looking car by the way!

That car looks very familiar, I believe there’s either a thread or multiple conversations regarding it. I thought it was sold overseas, guess not. Welcome from NYC, you’re certainly in the right place to learn all you’ll ever want to know about your car. As mentioned above, pictures pictures pictures. Start with the Vin tag on the radiator support just in front of the battery. Post a picture and the fine folks here can help you decode it.

Welcome, you've come to the right place.

The above comments about your Formal being familiar are right on, I downloaded the photos that were on the Bat auctions some time back.
Keep looking at them often.
Love the triple black, stunning, what more can I say
Good luck with your new acquisition, looks to need little to be a pleasure to own.

Back