New paint for my chrysler 300 , 1970

crugone

Reaction score
i am sure a couple of you have done a complete painting job on a c-body down to bare metal. I would like to know which quantities i have to take in mind from the ground to the final clear coat. i also would like to paint the engine compartment aswell the underside of the car. Many thanks for your information best rgds crugone

Chris (azblackhemi) is da man you want in this car. he can probably do it in his sleep.

Chris will be more exacting about materials but just for reference I just painted my 69 300 Convertible.
Used about 1 1/2 gal of filler primer, (2 coats exterior surface only), 1 1/2 gal base material, (color) to cover the engine compt, door jambs under the hood and deck lid and 2 coats exterior. and I think about 2 gal clear.

Stick with good quality materials. (I chose dupont Chroma for the base color).

You will need to up the quanitys when painting a hardtop.

Good question great answer I would have asked it eventually:icon_lol:

Not soon enough, I cant wait to yours on the open road
I'm getting there I ordered all new brake lines and I have everything else waiting to install for the brakes. The gas tank is all rehabbed and all the areas under the tank painted and ready for install. Then I'll be ready to roll.

I will work on it this weekend. Work will be disrupted for a few hours while I go to a Mopar trade show on Saturday, to look for some turn signal lens.

I hope you find what you need.... Take some photos of the swap please. Just so I have an Idea of what the show is like

I hope you find what you need.... Take some photos of the swap please. Just so I have an Idea of what the show is like
Will do. I don't know what to really expect, but it is in a very big pavilion at Ohio state fair grounds.

I'm getting there I ordered all new brake lines and I have everything else waiting to install for the brakes. The gas tank is all rehabbed and all the areas under the tank painted and ready for install. Then I'll be ready to roll.

I will work on it this weekend. Work will be disrupted for a few hours while I go to a Mopar trade show on Saturday, to look for some turn signal lens.

Is there a website for that show?

Will do. I don't know what to really expect, but it is in a very big pavilion at Ohio state fair grounds.
What, what, what?

I'm all over that. What's it called? What are you driving there that you wanna show me? I'll meet you there & show you the yellow car if you let me know when you're planning to go.

What, what, what?

I'm all over that. What's it called? What are you driving there that you wanna show me? I'll meet you there & show you the yellow car if you let me know when you're planning to go.

Here is the site http://www.jeffjohnsonmotorsports.com/moparexpo.php

I was thinking of getting there earily maybe 8:00. They have different prices for different times you get there. I'll send you a PM.

i am sure a couple of you have done a complete painting job on a c-body down to bare metal. I would like to know which quantities i have to take in mind from the ground to the final clear coat. i also would like to paint the engine compartment aswell the underside of the car. Many thanks for your information best rgds crugone
I have not done a complete rottisserie restoration on a "C" Body because "C" Body owners generally aren't going to spend that kind of money. We are cheap SOB's LOL. Thats why we are into them. That being said in the last couple if years I have done about 10 complete bare metal inside and out top and bottom rottisserie restorations on "B" and "E" bodies. So from start to finish here we go. First step, Epoxy primer over the bare metal. 1 1/2 gallons. I also use the same epoxy primer as a sealer just before painting so the gallon and a half covers that too. Fill primer. I put on about three good heavy coats and let harden for a week or so depending on the weather. Here in Phoenix in the 112 degree summer a day or two is enough. I then block it untill I start going through in spots. Then 3 more heavy coats. I mostly only use the fill primer on the exterior panels,engine bay and inside the trunk. Only the exterior gets blocked and reprimed. This takes 3 gallons of fill primer. I use 2-21/4 gallons of base coat. I usually buy 2-1/2 gallons so I have leftover paint from the same batch. As for clearcoat I use about 2-1/2 gallons. I buy 3 gallons to be safe since if I have any leftover I can put it towards the next job. Since you are doing a larger car I'd add a quart of material on everything to be safe. Use good quality materials even though they are expensive because having to do it over due to cheap materials will cost you more in the long run. Plan on spending between 3-4 thousand dollars total on paint and materials. Here's some before and after pictures of a couple of my jobs.
P3050004.jpgP3050005.jpgP6180026.jpgP6180022.jpgP6180023.jpg

P3050004.jpg

P3050005.jpg

P6180026.jpg

P6180022.jpg

P6180023.jpg

I have not done a complete rottisserie restoration on a "C" Body because "C" Body owners generally aren't going to spend that kind of money. We are cheap SOB's LOL. Thats why we are into them. That being said in the last couple if years I have done about 10 complete bare metal inside and out top and bottom rottisserie restorations on "B" and "E" bodies. So from start to finish here we go. First step, Epoxy primer over the bare metal. 1 1/2 gallons. I also use the same epoxy primer as a sealer just before painting so the gallon and a half covers that too. Fill primer. I put on about three good heavy coats and let harden for a week or so depending on the weather. Here in Phoenix in the 112 degree summer a day or two is enough. I then block it untill I start going through in spots. Then 3 more heavy coats. I mostly only use the fill primer on the exterior panels,engine bay and inside the trunk. Only the exterior gets blocked and reprimed. This takes 3 gallons of fill primer. I use 2-21/4 gallons of base coat. I usually buy 2-1/2 gallons so I have leftover paint from the same batch. As for clearcoat I use about 2-1/2 gallons. I buy 3 gallons to be safe since if I have any leftover I can put it towards the next job. Since you are doing a larger car I'd add a quart of material on everything to be safe. Use good quality materials even though they are expensive because having to do it over due to cheap materials will cost you more in the long run. Plan on spending between 3-4 thousand dollars total on paint and materials. Here's some before and after pictures of a couple of my jobs.
View attachment 6421View attachment 6422View attachment 6423View attachment 6424View attachment 6425

Dear

Many thanks for the clear overview of your steps you are going to finaly have great results. Respect. I still have some questions.

The quantities you discripe are ready for painting quantities so include hardener and thinning liquid ?

Are the final paintings showed on the pictures including final buffing ?

Have you done this in an open place or in a painting cabine ?

What brand would you recommend ?

Which needles do you use on your spraygun for primer,filler,base,clearcoat

Thanks for your answers and have a great day

Best regards from Austria

Crugone

@crugone: Do you use acrylic paint, which is at least in Germany a bit of a hassle to get, or the water based paint which I avoided; don't know if this is essential for the volume of paint you need, probably not.

Back