New Paint Job

1969 300

Reaction score
I am going to have my 300 painted in Formal Black (nothing show quality, just a nice driver paint job). Does anyone have recommendations for a shop in Arizona? I've looked around, and it is anywhere from 1000 to 5000.

Also keep in mind that black shows surface incosistencies very clearly, where a white paint job for example could still look acceptable.

Decent materials would be at least a grand wouldn't they?

Are you sure you want to paint a car black in Arizona? Does it have working A/C?

Decent materials would be at least a grand wouldn't they?

$1000.00 dosen't go very far at the paint store these days.
Primer/sealer, paint and clear will likely excede that..... Then add the necessary body work, sanding, cutting and buffing.......

You could try to cut some costs by doing some prep work first, sanding at least, but still don't think you can cut costs to 1000. Is this a change of color where engine compartment inner doors/ hood etc. will be involved as well or just the outside ?

You could try to cut some costs by doing some prep work first, sanding at least, but still don't think you can cut costs to 1000. Is this a change of color where engine compartment inner doors/ hood etc. will be involved as well or just the outside ?

It would just be on the outside. I was quoted sanding, 2 coats of seal, 3 coats of color, 2 coats of uv clear, color sand and buff with a 3 year warranty for 1200.

What I did may be what you want to do.
I did all the bull work. Stripping the car of everything. Emblems, trim, bumpers, lights, you name it. Right down to a bare carcass.
I sanded the entire car with #600 just to get a better visual of the surface condition.
On small areas less than 100% perfect, I laid on a thin coat of Bondo Glaze (not Filler) and sanded. If you can do drywall, you can do this, it's that forgiving.
I spot painted areas with filler primer and sanded.
I did all the masking and turned it over to the pro
Had him use single stage urethane. It's as hard as granite. Most cost effective way to go.
The results were spectacular for the money. Paint and his labor: $900.00.

That does sound like the way to go Stan. Well done!

It would just be on the outside. I was quoted sanding, 2 coats of seal, 3 coats of color, 2 coats of uv clear, color sand and buff with a 3 year warranty for 1200.

Seven coats, sanding, buffing, etc... 12 hundred bucks?!?!?

< Sent from my tablet >

I don't know man, I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". I'd certainly want to see some of his previous work and get some references.

I don't know man, I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". I'd certainly want to see some of his previous work and get some references.

I'm guessing everything is going to be masked. No screwdriver turned. The overspray will make it a ten-footer.

< Sent from my tablet >

I'm guessing everything is going to be masked. No screwdriver turned. The overspray will make it a ten-footer.

I dissasembled my 300...... bought the paint, (sealer/primer and clear was supplied), did a bunch of the sanding and all of the masking. I traded a 318 engine and trans to a friend to spray the car. I figured cash value to do the job was around $1200.00

I ended up with a 10 footer that is going to take another $5-800.00 of labor to color sand, cut & buff.

That's the point.
He's getting all of that for 12 hundred dollars? I wasted 60 hrs. of my labor for $300? 300/60=$5/hr?. I should have gone to Maaco.

One of my relatives had a Maaco paintjob on his car once and they had a leaf from a tree left on the surface and painted it over.

Not possible unless his name is Maaco. If he is sanding the car then it better be block sanding as using a rotary will just give you waves in the paint. Block sanding takes time. Then I assume he will ignore the low spots that are uncovered. What about high spots? Of course this is after completely washing the car down like it has never been washed before. Then washed again after the block sanding. All trim left on the car from bumpers, to grille to nameplates?

Sealer? I prefer an epoxy primer of a decent kind for those high spots you sanded down to the metal. Three coats of color? What color? Inexpensive bc, like Omni from PPG, is pretty thin with the pigments. Could take 4 coats with that paint. Their DBC could do it with less but at $400-500/gal. for the base only. Two coats of clear and then color sand? I don't think so as there will be little clear left. Three coats minimum if color sanding using decent stuff. Not too much under $100/gal. can be considered decent. Three year warranty? When I paint mine I expect 20 years and get it.

He must be making only a $1 an hour on this job.

I did a color change. I also told the shop I wanted a well done job, but also to keep in mind it was "just" a '65 Polara.....not a hemi cuda. $14,500 got me from point A....
65 polara.jpg

To point B.......
DeHann Polara 095.jpg

Obviously there is a point "C" next, as the car is not done at this point. I had the car completely stripped minus the body side molding and front and rear glass. All trim, badging etc was removed by me, all side glass and interior I removed. He did pull the sub blasted and painted it. Pulled the dash and painted it. All interior trim that was metal he painted. The bottom of the car is staying original. He did also spend quite a bit of time on the body side trim. He got the dents out and polished it. Labor is expensive, but I wanted it done right and not have to redo everything at a later date. Sure is a hard pill to swallow though.

65 polara.jpg

DeHann Polara 095.jpg

Last edited:
Back