New project d350 crew cab

pmschmitt

Reaction score
IMG_0209.PNG
IMG_0210.PNG
IMG_0217.JPG
So I recently sold my 1969 Chrysler 300 as I was looking for a different project. The new project is not a C body , but still a mopar. I have always enjoyed this website and forum as it's members always give good advice that is not just a bunch of BS and the content is helpful. So I figured I'd post here anyway.

Just picked up a 1983 D-350 crew cab dually with a 360 4spd. Truck needs lots of tinkering and work, but it is rust free and inspected. Drove it home last night and just ordered my FSM. 360 runs strong, but there is a vibration at 65mph that makes the tranny really start to shake. Truck has some old bias ply mud grips on the front end that probably need to be replaced. Truck also has a worn out motor mount in the passenger side. Here are some pics. If there is a good Dodge Ram forum I would appreciate someone pointing me that direction.

IMG_0211.PNG

Sweet truck! I still want to get one sometime down the road.

There's ForTrucksOnly.com but it's slooooww compared to here, and a lot of regulars are already here on FCBO. Another way to get parts/info for your truck.

Thats a pretty nice truck. That would be a good candidate for a hemi/six speed swap. I always love this truck style.

Great project, like Locu suggested check out FTO and start a build thread. Lot's of Mopar guy's there because we all seem to have come from other For only sites.

IMG_0224.JPG
Thanks for the help guys. Wile E Coyote nice truck!

Do you still have the 16.5 wheels or did you change over the 16 or 17 inch. 16.5 tires are only made by firestone in one size and cost $140 a piece. I was thinking of picking up some used dually rims with tires that are 17s, but I really dig the original look etc.

I will check in to the for trucks only. Thanks

View attachment 134887 Thanks for the help guys. Wile E Coyote nice truck!

Do you still have the 16.5 wheels or did you change over the 16 or 17 inch. 16.5 tires are only made by firestone in one size and cost $140 a piece. I was thinking of picking up some used dually rims with tires that are 17s, but I really dig the original look etc.

I will check in to the for trucks only. Thanks
I'm actually a little surprised to see 16.5s on an 83... they were phasing out even then... you would have less aggravation with 16 or 17 wheels... and might find some takeoffs that still have usable tread if you watch CL and EB. Don't forget the spare...

the newer dodge 350's have 17's . but their ten lug as well . stock 16's non split rims should be fairly easy to come by . ford rims can work , the locating pin is in the wrong place . dodge's , ford's , some gmc's , hi's used a larger rear axle hubs then chevy's . so machining would be required to make them fit . i did it to some alloy alum rims , needed @ 1/8'' larger reg hole in the center . the eight lug pattern is the same . and through the locating pins away .

Hey wile E have you ever had the headlight switch problem in your d350? There is no burning of wires or heat, here is what's happening.

Pull out headlight switch, running lights, tail lights, and dash lights only come on momentarily before the stop ( groove to have just the running lights on). If I pull all the way to the stop the lights go off. If I pull the head light switch all the way out the headlights come on, but no running lights or dash light/ tail lights.

I have replaced the switch with a borg Warner life time warranty switch.... problem still occurs. No burnt contacts.

I have read this same problem on other forums, but no solution. Anybody have a headlight circuit diagram that uses relays and another circuit for the running lights?

Thanks

Hey wile E have you ever had the headlight switch problem in your d350? There is no burning of wires or heat, here is what's happening.

Pull out headlight switch, running lights, tail lights, and dash lights only come on momentarily before the stop ( groove to have just the running lights on). If I pull all the way to the stop the lights go off. If I pull the head light switch all the way out the headlights come on, but no running lights or dash light/ tail lights.

I have replaced the switch with a borg Warner life time warranty switch.... problem still occurs. No burnt contacts.

I have read this same problem on other forums, but no solution. Anybody have a headlight circuit diagram that uses relays and another circuit for the running lights?

Thanks
No, I have not had that happen. (fingers crossed) One thing comes to mind; perhaps the dimmer switch? I'm not much of a trouble-shooter - more of a buy-and-replacer hoping whatever I'm replacing fixes whatever problem! People forget that ole dimmer switch lays down there and gets wet, dirty, muddy, abused. Try unplugging it, see if that does anything. Replace it? Make sure it's grounded well? Good luck!

No, I have not had that happen. (fingers crossed) One thing comes to mind; perhaps the dimmer switch? I'm not much of a trouble-shooter - more of a buy-and-replacer hoping whatever I'm replacing fixes whatever problem! People forget that ole dimmer switch lays down there and gets wet, dirty, muddy, abused. Try unplugging it, see if that does anything. Replace it? Make sure it's grounded well? Good luck!
Thanks will do

Back