New Restoration: '66 Newport

Bigdogg2g

Reaction score
Im in North Carolina trying to restore my '66 Newport. In need of full floorboard replacement. Any suggestions? email addresses, phone #'s, shops.

The project you are talking of surpasses what the car is worth, even if it is a convertable. You need to look for a solid car. Keep a patient and consistant eye on Craigslist, ebay, etc. You may even stumble accross something you like better, even with consideration of whatever history you have had with your present car.

When you think you have found what you want, ask for many, many good pictures with no missing areas underneath, because of the price of fuel today. An honest person won't hesitate and they will have access to a camera, unlike the ever too busy liars with the chronic computer problems. The right car will be worth the trip.

Last edited:
The project you are talking of surpasses what the car is worth, even if it is a convertable. You need to look for a solid car. .

Why does he need to? The guy wants to replace the floorboards in HIS 66 Newport. If everyone felt the way you are suggesting there would be six c bodies left in the world. Some of us value the car way more than the money picture.

:backontopic:..........Being in Jersey I have no idea about shops in North Carolina

The project you are talking of surpasses what the car is worth, even if it is a convertable. You need to look for a solid car. Keep a patient and consistant eye on Craigslist, ebay, etc. You may even stumble accross something you like better, even with consideration of whatever history you have had with your present car.

When you think you have found what you want, ask for many, many good pictures with no missing areas underneath, because of the price of fuel today. An honest person won't hesitate and they will have access to a camera, unlike the ever too busy liars with the chronic computer problems. The right car will be worth the trip.

Are you serious or joking?? The guy is obviously a Chrysler enthusiast - plain and simple; what does it matter if his car is not some high $$$ garage queen not "worthy" of a rebuild? Many of us are into old Chryslers/Mopars b-e-y-o-n-d the dollar value calculation....hardcore Mopar junkies who love getting greasy, dirty, and tired, while rebuilding and enjoying our particular ride no matter what it happens to be.

You should be ashamed of yourself. You have no idea what connection this person has to this car. I was told that I was crazy on numerous occasions for restoring a `68 Road Runner that was in the condition that it was in when I started. No engine, trans, fender tag or build Sheet, or body numbers for that matter. Just a rolling chassis old race car. Last thing left on the car that is still original to it now is the roof, rear underseat floorpan, front frame rails and the torsion bar crossmember. I don't regret one thing.

Good thing I never listened to anyone.

Before:
TopUpBefore.jpg

After:
Rear1b.jpg

Before:
Interior1.jpg

After:
Interior5.jpg

Last edited:
Im in North Carolina trying to restore my '66 Newport. In need of full floorboard replacement. Any suggestions? email addresses, phone #'s, shops.

Bigdogg: Keep the faith an ignore the negativity of the one poster. With the lack of road salt in your area you should be able to find a solid parts car locally. If you are not afraid of shipping charges check out Murray Park Wildcat or DVAP. I've had good luck shipping large items economically with Grey Hound.

http://www.cbodies.com/
http://www.dvap.com/
http://www.wildcatmopars.com/

"In need of full floorboard replacement."

"Any suggestions"

"addresses, phone #'s, shops."

The only thing that I will recant in my post is replacing "You need to" with "I would suggest" So I apologize to Bigdogg2g for this.

I was certainly not trying to be negative, but if your car truly needs a full floorboard replacement, I think you can save a lot of money and grief by finding a better car to start your project. Ask a place that restores cars as a business vs guys griping at each other like we are doing now.

A few key words were overlooked here... "FULL floorboard replacement" ... "ANY suggestions" and..."SHOPS", which equals $45-$55 per hour.

I have done auto body/paint and mechanics FOR A LIVING for over 25 years. I have also been through the southeast and have seen many cars that have little to nothing left of the entire floor, or trunk. "Full floorboard replacement" is not 4 pans..(floorboards), it is rocker to rocker, and firewall to at least the rear seat if not to the rear axle hump, which means you have to buy a solid car and destroy it to get this piece...A little redundant, not??? Especially if you are talking about destroying a 2 dr for a 4dr, or a 4dr for a 4dr. And gee Wally doesn't he have to buy a fairly solid car to get this piece? Because you know the magic floorpan fairy does not make a complete floorpan for a '66 Chrysler. Most shops would tell you to kick rocks if you brought in a project like this, and the ones that are capable of doing it right are going to make you pay dearly.

The last complete frame off restoration through our shop was a '61 Scout that needed NO rust repair that had a $16,000+ invoice when it was finished. Bigdogg2g said "RESTORE" and "SHOP" not... " I want to fix up my car myself, because I am obviously a Chrysler enthusiast, and I love getting greasy, dirty, and tired, while rebuilding and enjoying my 66 Newport." "Also if you don't already know, I literally have money falling from my ***, and my VIN# is what I truly treasure most, not my stupid retirement fund."

Just exactly how much of this car is going to physically be the original car that he may or may not have a history with vs. what will be replaced? Has no one here ever replaced a fender, hood, grille, and bumper on their car, if these peices were smashed or rusted beyond reasonable repair?? Uh Oh... not original, naughty, naughty. Seriously??? Who's to say what is important to this guy. If he doesn't like my suggestion, let him ***** at me. He very well could make another '66 Newport, exactly the way his was, or God forbid, better in whatever way that trips his trigger. Maybe his Newport is a 4dr sdn and really is beyond reason to restore, and in his search that I propose, he finds a nice '66 300 2drht, that he may like even better, and maybe he saves this car from a derby dork, or a no mind iron maggot, drooling over $200 per ton. I think the '66 300 is an awesome car and they are not a high dollar car... I know... how dare I again give my opinion.

He asked for suggestions, and as I said, I regret the "need to". You are all jumping on some indignant rant and making your own agenda, like, how dare he even consider looking for another car, like his original, or not. This guy hasn't even had a chance to put his 2 cents in and it's his decision to use whatever information or ideas that fit his needs and wants from everyones input, so let him choose. I still have my first car after 30 years, a red '68 300 2drht and I love it, and luckily it is not beyond something reasonble to fix, but if it was... Faster than you can say, "How dare you." I would make the decision to find a decent '68 300 and make it like my original car, and then have a really nice car with structural integrity that doesn't have to go to the frame rack in a hopefull attempt to get it straight enough that the doors close properly.

I had a nice '66 Newport 2drht that only needed minor patches behind the fender skirts. I sold this car to my nephew for $300, he drove it a few years and sold it for something shy of $1500, maybe 7-8 years ago. These cars are not that uncommon and still today not very high priced. A nice one, needing just cosmetics could be found for way less than it would cost for a shop to make a substantially rusty car into a solid and remotely straight car, still needing prep and paint.

Another note ... this is not a '68 Road Runner, you can buy a nice 66 Newport 2drht for less than a rough RR project ...and again, he wants or needs a shop to do the work.

From a vague description, some of you are making a marter of this 66 Newport for some unapparent reason, and are strangely labeling me the Grim Reaper of old cars... You couldn't be more wrong, as I love to see any of the old domestics restored, and especially the full size cars that everybody and their dog hasn't done and overdone 58,000 times over, like the early Mustang, and early Camaro. If you want to rip someone a new ***, find a derby fa#. There is someone that obviously never had appreciation for these cars and likely doesn't have the talent, ambition or brains to fix lunch, much less a vehicle.

Who the hell would put upwards of 30K in a '67 New Yorker, yup the Grim Reaper himself, what a jack hole I am. This was a $1000 solid as a rock, but non running, complete to the wingnut car only 5 years ago.

P.S. the '65 300 looks like it was a solid southwest car and I would be drooling on it the way it was in the before pictures. Outstanding car.

I will also apologize to anyone that has already seen this car on a previous post... This is for the benifit of the guy that initiated this thread.

67 New Yorker (2).JPG

Copy of 67 New Yorker (5).JPG

67 New Yorker (8).JPG

67 New Yorker (9).jpg

Last edited:
Has2bmopar quote..... "Keep a patient and consistant eye on Craigslist, ebay, etc. You may even stumble accross something you like better, even with consideration of whatever history you have had with your present car."

detmat quote.... "You should be ashamed of yourself. You have no idea what connection this person has to this car. I was told that I was crazy on numerous occasions for restoring a `68 Road Runner that was in the condition that it was in when I started. No engine, trans, fender tag or build Sheet, or body numbers for that matter. Just a rolling chassis old race car. Last thing left on the car that is still original to it now is the roof, rear underseat floorpan, front frame rails and the torsion bar crossmember. I don't regret one thing."

detmat,

In all seriousness, you should be ashamed of yourself for not being able to comprehend the English language. You need to find an adult with higher than a fourth grade education to read this back to you and explain what it says.

"You may" = This means a possibility... not a certainty

"with consideration" = This means I am acknowledging that there is likely a history ("connection") to his pesent car that may play a factor in his decision.

"whatever history" = This means I am acknowledging that I have no idea of the level or content of his history ("connection") of his present car.

You should now be regretting two things,

1) Not completing grade school

2) Posting rude, derogatory comments in total contradiction to what my post actually says. Nice work Einstien.

P.S. Let us see some pictures of your Road Runner.

Last edited:
70 FuselageImperial Quote..."Are you serious or joking?? The guy is obviously a Chrysler enthusiast - plain and simple; what does it matter if his car is not some high $$$ garage queen not "worthy" of a rebuild? Many of us are into old Chryslers/Mopars b-e-y-o-n-d the dollar value calculation....hardcore Mopar junkies who love getting greasy, dirty, and tired, while rebuilding and enjoying our particular ride no matter what it happens to be".

sorry, lost it there. just tired of this type of attitude splitting up the "movement".

Has2bmopar quote..... "Keep a patient and consistant eye on Craigslist, ebay, etc. You may even stumble accross something you like better.

70FuselageImperial,

Yet another rant without any comprehension of what they are reading.

You are... can't even continue typing fricken angry for which of your wild made up B.S. conclusions from the clear blue, that hold no merit???

Who can label anyone "OBVIOUSLY a Chrysler enthusiast" with one very vague discription of ONE car. This same person could have 34 Packards in his collection, so he just well could be a Packard enthusiast. Plain and so very simple isn't it?

Read... I was suggesting that he should look for a better car to start his project i.e. one that doesn't lack structural integrity needing A COMPLETE floor pan. "Worthy" was a term never used or insinuated by myself. Feasible would fit my suggestion, as he very likely can find a car just like his present one, but in fair enough condition that he could afford to have a SHOP restore it.

The initial suggestion supports that he would be looking for another '66 Newport, as it questions a possibility that he may stumble accross something else that he MAY like better.

So, we are still talking about my suggestion that finds him in the end with a nice '66 NEWPORT, so obviously it doesn't matter to me if this is some high dollar car. Where the hell in my post did I tell him he should buy a GTX or a Charger R/T or any "high dollar garage queen"???

Exactly how far beyond the value of your car are into your car? Really? Is it over 3x b-e-y-o-n-d the value calculation? I'm going to reach into this blue sky of random conclusions of yours and say no. Again this makes your rude criticism wrong about myself.

Sorry you should be, as you did lose it there, and I'm really tired of the apparent "movement" of illiterate people that can't comprehend simple sentances and act so very indignant, not having any real issues to ridicule someone, so they just make sh*t up. G-E-N-I-U-S and so much lacking in character.

Last edited:

All I am saying is put yourself in Bigdogg2gs shoes and see that your opening statement is way to harsh and insensative, the guy already has the vehicle and is looking for suggestions to move forward with IT.
All I'm going to say about it. Here is my Road Runner.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=4469

Wow, Five people read a post and see all that is negative with it (almost every idea). That poster still stands by what he wrote and has to insult people to prove his negative point..............:elmer:

has2bmopar.........don't you think the original poster is aware of the value of the car? Or possibly may be aware of the expense? To 99% of the owners of a C body it is not about the money, it is about the car.

He did not ask weather we felt his car was worth restoring, merely a shop within his State that would be worth taking it to. Your entitled to express your opinion but be prepared to get one in return...........and your not gonna like it.:boxing:

And going back and reading what you wrote (yes even I can read) realized you prefaced your statements with "You need to" which set the stage for your full B.S original statement. Obviously you recanted your " You need to" phrase but you cant take that away, its out there.Which is why others slammed you.............

Perhaps a "have you considered" or a " I love your enthusiasm but" see how a softer tone would have set the table better?

You deserve to be slammed:buttkick:

P.S. the '65 300 looks like it was a solid southwest car and I would be drooling on it the way it was in the before pictures. Outstanding car.

Your points are well taken. Having the experience in the industry, it may have been a better route to give him a dollar amount to have the work done and not give your opinion regarding his personal situation.

As for my car, yes, it was a solid Southwest car. Sold new in Canoga Park, CA in March of '65. It had sat parked with the top down since 1980 in Las Vegas when I found it. There was no metal work needed but the entire car was hammered. I've got a little north of $30K in it, probably more than I could get for it. It doesn't matter to me. I wanted a big, '60's convertible and this came my way. I only do cars the "right" way and it cost what it cost. Money well spent in my opinion.

Back