New Tire Advice

66/440

Reaction score
Shopping for new white wall tires and looking for personal experiences on brands.

Hankook Kinergy ST whitewalls are ONE of the name brands out there at a decent price.

We recently put a set of Nexen's on my friends 300. They really balanced up nicely. None of the four tires required more than 2 oz of weight. I think they are made in Korea.

4 Tires Nexen N'Priz AH5 225/75R15 102S A/S All Season | eBay

nexen tires.JPG

70 300 trim.JPG

Jeff

Like @bigmoparjeff I elected to go with Nexen as well. Stiffer side wall due to higher load rating improves the underinflated look of the Hankooks on our very heavy vehicles and the sidewall appearance is much improved over the Hankooks due to a less busy design and unusual name. I do not have many miles on mine but since both Nexen and Hankook tires are made in South Korea, I expect the highest quality from both of them. Also, look at the buyers ratings of their purchase of Nexen tires on the Ebay website that Jeff referenced above - 35 purchases and every one of the sales got a 5 star rating.

There is more on my experience in this thread:

My New Preferred Whitewalls for C Bodies

I usually prefer to buy American when the technology/materials are as good as the competition but not if the tires are old tread pattern designs with inferior whitewall longevity in terms of appearance such as the Coopers.

Last edited:
Thanks for all ya'lls imput especially @bigmoparjeff and @safeforwardlook
These are the exact experiences and observations I was looking for! I will buy the Nexen's. Just need to decide whether to order from ebay or buy them from Discount tire. Leaning towards Discount as I need to have them mounted and balanced either way and I have a long standing relationship with my local store. They have helped me out many times over the past 20+ years and I like to give them my business when I can. $30 difference in price but again there are cost one way or another to every good relationship.

Thanks for all ya'lls imput especially @bigmoparjeff and @safeforwardlook
These are the exact experiences and observations I was looking for! I will buy the Nexen's. Just need to decide whether to order from ebay or buy them from Discount tire. Leaning towards Discount as I need to have them mounted and balanced either way and I have a long standing relationship with my local store. They have helped me out many times over the past 20+ years and I like to give them my business when I can. $30 difference in price but again there are cost one way or another to every good relationship.
Go with Discount Tire. They will price beat.
I have recently put a set of tires on my Roadmaster, my fiancé’s Crossfire and Cadillac and the total experience was very good.

delta.jpg
In the spirit of transparency I am buying tires for a 1975 Delta 88 with 38k miles that I just acquired. Really nice car white with red guts and red vinyl top but not really my interest. It is a flipper. I guess I could sell it with the tires that are on it but I have a thing about cars that I sell in that I want them to be safe and something I wouldn't regret buying. While the tires look good they are out of date by 3 decades and that JC Penny sidewall just screams run away!

The real problem with Coopers is they are made by Goodyear.

Personally I prefer to buy made in the U.S. products as long as the tire remains competitive with the best brands out there.

Otherwise it is just a matter of time before the U.S. company goes out of business because better competitors will bury them with better products at less expensive prices and the buyer will be stuck with an inferior product that won't go the distance. That is the real problem with Cooper whether they are made by Goodyear or not. Their tread design is obsolete and their whitewalls have been the subject of complaints in terms of being able to keep the whitewalls white and their load rating (105 standard load) is far inferior to the much better (109 extra load) of the Nexens, especially for our heavy C bodies.

The real problem in the U.S., like other nations, is that our revered companies decided to sell out the American worker decades ago in the pursuit of ever higher profits for the shareholders and management at the expense of the American worker.

There are still no us constraints on big business in terms of such practices despite which ever party is in office.

It has been said that the love of money is the root of all kinds of evils....................................

@bluefury361 Might want to re-think that red X on Slap Sticks posting......

Goodyear now owns Cooper Tire as $2.8 billion purchase is completed
Jim Mackinnon
Akron Beacon Journal
0:55
1:00
Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. is now a subsidiary of Goodyear.

The two Ohio tire makers on Monday announced that they had completed the merger of Findlay-based Cooper with
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. that was announced on Feb. 22. 2021.
The deal is intended to solidify Akron-based Goodyear as the largest U.S.-based tire maker with its purchase of Cooper,
the fifth-largest North American tire maker. It also bolsters Goodyear's product offerings across the globe,
including doubling its presence in China.

Cooper was ONE of the TWO completely-USA-owned tire companies, until it was bought by somebody overseas. Now, it's an American-owned brand again. Which also puts it in company with Dunlop and Kelly-Springfield, who are also owned by Goodyear. BFG and UniRoyal long ago became a part of the USA Michelin family. As Firestone came into the Bridgestone family years ago.

We have a customer who was deep into first-gen Camaros. ALL of them had Kelly SuperCharger tires on them. He was a big fan of that tire, claiming he would not pay for the Goodyear Eagle GTs, which he felt were the same tire for more money. Afterall, they were owned by Goodyear, he said. UNTIL he bought a set of takeoff Eagle GTs and wheels from a gen III Z/28. He was very surprised at how much better the Eagles were, so THAT became his tires of choice. I laughed.

Obviously, the Cooper brand is going to stay in the USA for a good while. Just have to see how it all plays out as to what tires they keep and which they allow to go away. BTAIM

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I put Coopers on mine. 5 brand new tires including the spare.

20200312_172257.jpg

20200312_172235.jpg

Back