New tire drive

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I had new tires put on about two months ago but never got to try them out on a longer highway drive. Short hops around town told me nothing unusual. With me testing out suspension changes to the Park Lane that had my attention and use all of June.

The new tires are the Kinergy ST WSW in 215/75R15. The fellow up the street who installed them got the balance dead on. So I took a 50 mile drive today since the heat wave has died down to 80 degrees at the time. Gotta say the new tires are far, far smoother riding and quiet that the previous set of BF Goodrich. Blasting along a two lane highway at 75 was quite enjoyable even if one has to be careful with steering input. No road feel at all.

Very different ride from the big Merc even though the Dodge is only 56 lbs. lighter. The big Merc, with the same tires, rides as though a heavier car with the Dodge riding as though it is much lighter. Actually prefer the Merc as it feels more planted on the road at even 90 mph.

After that made a stop at Home Depot, where I park out in the boonies to get away from the careless crowd. The HEI ignition makes it easy to disable the car so the only way it goes anywhere is if towed. Just remove a fuse.

rsz_polara_ignition_fuse_01.jpg

rsz_polara_ignition_fuse_02.jpg

Thank you for posting about your experience with the new H735 tires. Question— why did you go with the 215 rather than the 235?

Thank you for posting about your experience with the new H735 tires. Question— why did you go with the 215 rather than the 235?

Well the manual lists several sizes depending on rim. The J78-15 is equivalent to a 225/75-15 and I seriously doubted my car came with that size for one. The G78 is equivalent to 215/75. Two, I had 235/75 on before the new tires and I didn't like the way the side wall bulged out over the rim as though it was too much for the rim. The 215 doesn't have that look.

[QUOTE="tbm3fan, post: 1021547, member: 1040"WI had 235/75 on before the new tires and I didn't like the way the side wall bulged out over the rim as though it was too much for the rim. The 215 doesn't have that look.[/QUOTE]
FWIW, I don't see a bulge on the H735 in the 235/75R15 size. But I did see some bulging at the bottom, on the H724 (its predecessor).

Back