New to me 1968 300 2 door hardtop

75kona

Reaction score
Howdy ya'll from the PNW! kinda stumbled into this car this weekend and thought I would share my experience. I was down at a horse show over the weekend helping a family friend. And his older family friend came down and we started talking about cars and truck we had or have. Told him I was in the middle of restoring a 1956 chevy big window truck and have 1949 5 window gmc next in line. He told me he has a heck of a deal for me if I was looking for another project. We went over to his house and he uncovered the beast! 1968 Chrysler 300 2 door hardtop. Now a little back story.

His mom bought it new in '68 and put the current 103k miles that were on it driving to church and the grocery store. She ran into a mail box at the young age of 92 and they took her keys away back in '05 where it continued to sit in the same garage since new up until about two years ago when they drove it out side and covered it up. He said he had been wanting to sell it for ever and just wanted it gone, and also wanted it to go to someone who will show it some love.

He told me to make him an offer and I said this is your house and with all respect I wouldn't want to offend him. I was afraid I would offer to low since I don't know what they are worth and wasn't expecting to buy anything while I was down there. I then told him to throw out what he was looking to get. Let's just say I shook his hand without even dickering! Heading down to get it in a couple of weeks! And to top it off they kept the factory dealer window sticker which is pretty cool! Sorry for the long first post just very excited over the new car! Inside and out this thing has stood the test of time and it won't take much to get it looking sharp again!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

She was a savvy lady, and you are a savvy buyer! Great score, and you have come to the right place.

Welcome! Those fast tops are super cars and the 300 models display it the best. Keep us posted.

Wonderful buy. I don't see any damage so I'm assuming the mail box lost :)

Mailbox tagged the passenger side trim right behind the rear window and put about a 3" tear in the vinyl. Other than one other crease in the rear fender it’s pretty mint!

Looks like a real beauty and we all know how solid cars are up your way. I have a rock solid '67 Imperial that spent most of its life in Bremerton, WA.

Nice find. Very nicely equipped and it looks like there was a credit option on the seats. That's not common.

I plan on trailering it home and putting it on back burner till the weather gets nicer. I will for sure keep ya’ll updated on the process of getting it running and driving! I plan on getting it to a daily driver status and just cleaning it up real good and enjoying it the way it is!

And others who looked at this car felt it had too much damage to be bothered with?

I didn't buy it when the asking price was 5k, the seller at that time (not the son) couldn't really give all the answers and as I'm a overseas buyer I had to rely on the word of the seller and the pics at hand.
At the price 75kona paid for it I also would have bought it!

Good luck with the car 75kona! Nice that you also joined us here.

And others who looked at this car felt it had too much damage to be bothered with?

It has a small tear in the top and trim where she hit a mail box and a crease on the driver side rear quarter about a foot long. It has a few tears in the interior and paint has several chips but overall it appears to be in great shape! It certainly doesn’t have too much damage for me to buy it. To each their own I suppose but I think this car will clean up nicely!

I didn't buy it when the asking price was 5k, the seller at that time (not the son) couldn't really give all the answers and as I'm a overseas buyer I had to rely on the word of the seller and the pics at hand.
At the price 75kona paid for it I also would have bought it!

Good luck with the car 75kona! Nice that you also joined us here.

Thanks! I got lucky and knew family of the guy selling the car. Your right when you said it wasn’t the son. It was his wife’s moms car so he is the son in law of the original owner who passed several years ago. The car hasn’t been on the road since. Looking forward to getting it back on the road this summer.

Ok,, so 68-300 passed at 5k.....

What did 75kona get it for....?

Don’t want to jinx myself since the money is in his hand but the car is not on the trailer… Once I head down and grab it next Friday I will fill you in on just how much I paid :)

Back