New trim clips, by the Lens Guy

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @Mike66Chryslers for sending me 9 nice trim clips for the top stainless from his 1966. He sent them to me this summer. This weekend I was able to make a mold and reproduce these clips.

I will be offering these up for sale soon. I am going to track down some small O rings. I am pretty sure I found some plastic rod at Fastenal to use as the small push rod, when I installed my trim.

If I am correct these clips work on all 1965 and 66 models, to attach the top outside edge stainless trim to the body.
20181124_172331.jpg
20181123_171656.jpg

This is awesome, Mike! I've got an NOS threaded clip that is used at the ends of the trim. What are your thoughts on casting the entire clip in nylon and using a nylon nut to fasten? Do you think it would hold up or break? If you think it will work, I'd be happy to send you mine to use for the mold. These clips were part of the reason it took me 4 years to complete my restoration. Bravo for tackling the reproduction.

FWIW, I bought the plugs for the clips from Mr. G's. They were the correct diameter and length and were inexpensive as far as I can recall.

This is awesome, Mike! I've got an NOS threaded clip that is used at the ends of the trim. What are your thoughts on casting the entire clip in nylon and using a nylon nut to fasten? Do you think it would hold up or break? If you think it will work, I'd be happy to send you mine to use for the mold. These clips were part of the reason it took me 4 years to complete my restoration. Bravo for tackling the reproduction.

I think they would definitely be worth trying to make completely of plastic. The product I am using is semi rigid with a high tensile strength. They may flex but I don't think it will break. I know that they were the clips I was able to salvage and reuse on my car. If I can get some donations for the lower belt trim clips I could make a mold with those too in the same mold.

My offer to anyone interested, I will send you back your original clips along with the same number of new ones.

I can turn this around pretty quick, once I have enough clips, about 9, to make a mold.

One step closer. I found nylon rod for the push rod and the right size o-ring. I am sending back @Mike66Chryslers clips along with a new set. He is going to test fit them on a piece of trim. I am also going to send a couple to Murray Park. He is going to test fit it on a car.

I want a test fit because, I tried to improve on the clip using a semi-rigid urethane. There is a slight flex in the clip. If they won't snap into place I can go to a harder urethane, I just thought it was worth trying to improve them.
20181201_164310.jpg

One step closer. I found nylon rod for the push rod and the right size o-ring. I am sending back @Mike66Chryslers clips along with a new set. He is going to test fit them on a piece of trim. I am also going to send a couple to Murray Park. He is going to test fit it on a car.

I want a test fit because, I tried to improve on the clip using a semi-rigid urethane. There is a slight flex in the clip. If they won't snap into place I can go to a harder urethane, I just thought it was worth trying to improve them.
View attachment 233840

Awesome job, Mike. The clips look terrific. Put me down for two full sets!

If your trim is off can you do me a favor? I don't know how many clips in a set for both sides.

Mike: My trim is still attached; however, I know I'm gonna need these clips sooner or later. . . For now, I'm afraid to diddle with the trim.

Mike: My trim is still attached; however, I know I'm gonna need these clips sooner or later. . . For now, I'm afraid to diddle with the trim.
Thanks Rip, no problem I'm sending some clips to Murray Park today. I'm sure he's got a car somewhere in the lot with all the trim off, that he can count clip holes for me.

If your trim is off can you do me a favor? I don't know how many clips in a set for both sides.
I will be able to tell you, at least for a 2-door, just not at this moment. I took lots of pictures and notes as I disassembled my Windsor so I'd know how to put it back together.

I may be able to tell you for a 4-door sedan also. My dad's sedan has most of the beltline trim removed.

All I remember offhand is that the rear fender on a 2-door requires 11 of them, plus 2 of the black clips with studs which @rexus31 was taking about.

I will be able to tell you, at least for a 2-door, just not at this moment. I took lots of pictures and notes as I disassembled my Windsor so I'd know how to put it back together.

All I remember offhand is that the rear fender on a 2-door requires 11 of them, plus 2 of the black clips with studs which @rexus31 was taking about.
I've got your box of clips, sitting in my van, waiting to go in the mail today. You will have yours soon.

Are the black clips the ones you're talking about? There are also the narrow white ones that are only used at the front edge of the door.

DSCN3304_crop.jpg
DSCN3305_crop.jpg
DSCN3306_crop.jpg
DSCN3307_crop.jpg

Yes those black ones are the ones. I don't remember those other ones on my '66, is the hole so far forward that the larger black ones won't fit?

Last edited:
Mike, if you look in the parts book it will usually tell you how many of each clip a particular moulding uses. Since most mouldings use more than one type of clip, counting the holes is usually not accurate. This is the upper 1/4 panel moulding for a '66 300 2dr. h/t.
66 300.PNG

Mike, if you look in the parts book it will usually tell you how many of each clip a particular moulding uses. Since most mouldings use more than one type of clip, counting the holes is usually not accurate. This is the upper 1/4 panel moulding for a '66 300 2dr. h/t.
View attachment 237438
Thanks I never even noticed that there is a quantity listed next to the part number.

Yes, as Mike pointed out, those are them. I believe I also have the small white clip for the door molding.

Mike, I apologize for the extreme delay. I am digging out the clips today and sending them to you tomorrow.

No problem Scott, I am in the same boat. The crazy season has already begun with something going on every weekend and the one day I had to get to the post office 2 weeks ago, to send back Mike's clips, the post office was closed for President Bush's funeral.

Back