New trim clips, by the Lens Guy

Okay, I dug the clips out. Here's the NOS threaded beltline molding clip p/n 6001753

45430667745_1e5ea37b18_b.jpg

I also had a few of these threaded clips which secure the deck lid trim on '65's incase you want to play around with it. It would probably work for a mold if you cleaned it up a bit.

46343383291_48cb8e0144_b.jpg

I'll mail them out to you USPS Priority Mail tomorrow.

Okay, I dug the clips out. Here's the NOS threaded beltline molding clip p/n 6001753

View attachment 237681

I also had a few of these threaded clips which secure the deck lid trim on '65's incase you want to play around with it. It would probably work for a mold if you cleaned it up a bit.

View attachment 237682

I'll mail them out to you USPS Priority Mail tomorrow.
Wow never seen one that wasn't rusty. Thanks

Thanks Scott! I received the threaded end clips today. I picked up more mold material today too. I plan on pouring molds for these 2 clips 4 times, so I will end up with a block of 8 for replicating.

I will replicate with a solid semi-ridgid urethane including the metal bolt. I feel like this will work fine, sense the other clips are held in place with the urethane "feet" and a nylon push rod .

Murray Park is going to test fit the clips, I have made already. He should have received them today and said he would test them as soon as he gets them.

20181220_174646.jpg

Thanks Scott! I received the threaded end clips today. I picked up more mold material today too. I plan on pouring molds for these 2 clips 4 times, so I will end up with a block of 8 for replicating.

I will replicate with a solid semi-ridgid urethane including the metal bolt. I feel like this will work fine, sense the other clips are held in place with the urethane "feet" and a nylon push rod .

Murray Park is going to test fit the clips, I have made already. He should have received them today and said he would test them as soon as he gets them.

View attachment 238309

Awesome, Mike!

Thanks for tackling this project and helping decrease the amount of obsolete parts for our cars by a couple! Let me know how it turns out.

We are in business. Murray test fit the clips the stainless snaps right into place. He also tested their durability by removing the stainless with the clips still mounted, because they are semi-ridgid they did not break and stayed firmly to the car.

I am still going to make a mold of the clips Scott sent me, but Murray said it is just easier to use these clips everywhere because you don't have to worry about accessing them from behind.

On a 66 2 door there are 50 clips holding the stainless. There are also 2 narrow clips holding the leading edge of the door. He is going to find me a couple of good ones to replicate. Pictured below is what they look like.

123_1.jpeg

We are in business. Murray test fit the clips the stainless snaps right into place. He also tested their durability by removing the stainless with the clips still mounted, because they are semi-ridgid they did not break and stayed firmly to the car.

I am still going to make a mold of the clips Scott sent me, but Murray said it is just easier to use these clips everywhere because you don't have to worry about accessing them from behind.

On a 66 2 door there are 50 clips holding the stainless. There are also 2 narrow clips holding the leading edge of the door. He is going to find me a couple of good ones to replicate. Pictured below is what they look like.

View attachment 238452

Mike: This is terrific! Thanks a lot for jumping on these greatly needed clips. Please put me down for two full sets!

Rip

At this rate Mike how long before you quit painting for a living? Seems like you found a small niche market in parts reproduction.

First time posting on this site. I've watched and admired from afar as my 66 Newport Convertible project has been mothballed for some time. I've owned 66s since my first car in High School and have collected as many of these clips off of parts cars as I could over the years but they rarely come off intact. This is great news! I'd be interested in a batch if/when they are available. Thanks for what was surely tedious work!

First time posting on this site. I've watched and admired from afar as my 66 Newport Convertible project has been mothballed for some time. I've owned 66s since my first car in High School and have collected as many of these clips off of parts cars as I could over the years but they rarely come off intact. This is great news! I'd be interested in a batch if/when they are available. Thanks for what was surely tedious work!

Welcome! Do you have pics of your car you'd like to share?

I have been busy over my Christmas vacation. My first order filled of 100 clips. They are officially for sale. I have to fill Rip's order next. I will post them in the for sale section, sometime today.

I am guessing I may be the only guy in the world with a pile of 100 new clips. :)

20181229_090428.jpg

Sorry I took awhile to comment on the new clips. They are much more flexible than my NOS clips, which is probably a good thing. The one I compared with is also a bit shorter than the originals, but not short enough that the trim is likely to come off of them though.

NOS clip on the left and new reproduction on the right:
DSCN3322_crop.jpg

Edge view of NOS clip:
DSCN3326_crop.jpg

Edge view of reproduction clip:
DSCN3327_crop.jpg

I'm looking forward to trying these on my convertible when I get it out in the spring. Someone removed some of the trim once and broke most of the clips, so the trim is not well secured.

On my 2-door hardtop:
Front fender: 3 + 3 black clips with stud + 1 all-metal clip with small stud (rear-most hole just ahead of the door)
Door: 4 + 1 narrow white clip with stud
Rear fender: 11 + 2 black clips with stud

I found by experiment that the holes must be 19/64" or larger, except for one hole on the front fender which uses a different clip which is all-metal. Some of mine were partially filled-in due to repaint, so I opened them back up using a 19/64" drill bit turned by hand, then some touch-up paint around the perimeter of the hole.

I still had difficulty tapping in the plastic dowel plug which spreads the fingers without the fingers snapping off. I attributed this to the (base-clear) paint on my car being thicker than the factory coat, and I was reusing 50-year-old OEM clips. It helped greatly to put a taper on the end of the dowel plug to start it. The best way I found to do this was to chuck the dowel plug in my drill and turn it against my bench grinder.

DSCN3285.JPG

Mike thanks for the update, great pictures and descriptions. Glad to see you got all your clips safe and sound.

Scott I finally started my first attempt of replicating your clips. I honestly expect failure on my first attempt. The reason I anticipate failure is the removal of the threaded shaft of the clip. I think it might tear up the mold. If it doesn't great, but I have a plan B, if it does.

20190105_193241.jpg
20190105_195343.jpg

I am certain this mold will work. To remove the clips, I had to make 3 cuts, but the mold is thick enough and the clips are small, that the mold just closes back up.

I will throw a rubber band around it when I pour. It was good I had only 2 clips, I think it would have be difficult with more in the mold.

Scott your clip is still pristine, it should be placed under glass in a climate controlled environment, it could be the only one in existence. :)

20190106_082838.jpg

Back