New trim clips, by the Lens Guy

I am certain this mold will work. To remove the clips, I had to make 3 cuts, but the mold is thick enough and the clips are small, that the mold just closes back up.

I will throw a rubber band around it when I pour. It was good I had only 2 clips, I think it would have be difficult with more in the mold.

Scott your clip is still pristine, it should be placed under glass in a climate controlled environment, it could be the only one in existence. :)

View attachment 243049

Victory! Glad to hear it worked out, Mike! To think, I had about 10 or so more in the same condition that wound up on my car.

I sort of had success. I under poured the mold and I believe I may have made poor selection in my choice of location to make cuts to remove the clip.

The good news the nut threads perfectly on the clip and the black dye looks great. The concept of a threaded solid urethane clip is a success which is the most important part.

20190106_162942.jpg

Wow, great work! I was thinking that even if you cast the black plastic part and reused original metal studs, that would be useful. When I was removing my trim, I found that the usual problem was the plastic part would break or the nut would be rusted to the stud and start spinning in the plastic.

I would resort to sliding the trim off of the clip, since the black clips are at the end of the chrome which is "open". Then I'd have to break the plastic part to remove the clip. I figured that the clip was already FUBAR once the stud started spinning in it. With a little coaxing to remove the nut, the stud could be saved and pressed into a new plastic clip.

Success on the second mold, it was all about making the cuts in the correct area without damaging the mold.

I also find if I am making an open pour mold, additional urethane needs to pool above the finished product. When I put it into the pressure pot the product pushes further into the mold and it ends up being slightly under poured.

I am still worry about the longevity of the current mold so I am also making a squeeze mold. I realize now it would be the best style for this clip.

20190108_224748.jpg
20190108_225025.jpg

Success on the second mold, it was all about making the cuts in the correct area without damaging the mold.

I also find if I am making an open pour mold, additional urethane needs to pool above the finished product. When I put it into the pressure pot the product pushes further into the mold and it ends up being slightly under poured.

I am still worry about the longevity of the current mold so I am also making a squeeze mold. I realize now it would be the best style for this clip.

View attachment 243979 View attachment 243980

Looks great, Mike!

I should have just started with the squeeze mold on these clips. The clips came very easily out of the mold. I should be able to use them many many times.

20190109_183304.jpg

Mike, you probably already do this, but if you don't, you might want to mark your molds with the part number/application for the part it is for, so that you don't end up with a bunch of molds down the road and trying to remember what they are all for.

Mike, you probably already do this, but if you don't, you might want to mark your molds with the part number/application for the part it is for, so that you don't end up with a bunch of molds down the road and trying to remember what they are all for.
It is funny you mentioned that, I was just thinking I need to start marking everything. :)

I have been busy over my Christmas vacation. My first order filled of 100 clips. They are officially for sale. I have to fill Rip's order next. I will post them in the for sale section, sometime today.

I am guessing I may be the only guy in the world with a pile of 100 new clips. :)

View attachment 240479
I have a 66 PLY Sport Fury that takes that clip. Can you price these?
Thanks Tom

I have a 66 PLY Sport Fury that takes that clip. Can you price these?
Thanks Tom

Tom thanks for the interest. I am going to selling all clips for $5 each. This is what Murray Park sells the clips from his cars. He will be selling mine now too.

The black ones I am still tweaking. I am going to use a slightly stiffer urethane for them. They are thinner than the white ones and I feel they flex too much. The white one are in production and are for sale now, just need time to build up my inventory.

PM if you would like to place an order.

I'm not trying to hurt your sales Mike, but these guys that are wanting moulding clips for their cars need to check the part numbers for their application, or at least the dimensions of the 2 clips. Chrysler only made about a gazillion different clips that "look" the same. If it's a moulding for a different car (even if it's a '66 Newport vs a '66 300), the clip is probably different too.

I'm not trying to hurt your sales Mike, but these guys that are wanting moulding clips for their cars need to check the part numbers for their application, or at least the dimensions of the 2 clips. Chrysler only made about a gazillion different clips that "look" the same. If it's a moulding for a different car (even if it's a '66 Newport vs a '66 300), the clip is probably different too.
Thanks Marty for noticing my mistake. I can say, however these clips are used on all Chrysler models 65-66 (Murray Park has confirmed) Referring to the white ones and the bent black ones. The flat black ones fit only the trunk lip trim of the 65.

You are correct, I think they are different for Plymouth and Dodge, so Tom these are probably a different size. If you have one you can measure and take a picture we can confirm.

I shouldn't be answering questions so late at night. :)

Last edited:
To avoid any confusion the 2 clips I am making, are for trim on 65-66 Chryslers, all models This is from the parts catalog. I do not have a Dodge or Plymouth parts catalog to reference, to see if these clips are used on any of their trim.

20190110_193415.jpg

@Tom Stroud I finally got a chance today to look through my parts catalog. There is a crazy amount of clips made by Chrysler. None of my clips are used on your Fury. These are probably the only clips I will ever make because of the unique "L" shape, generic clips won't work.

That is to your benefit however. Here is a great place to to find something that will work for you. Remember you won't find your exact clip but one that will work for you. Mr. G's Enterprises - Auto Fasteners

auveco has many clips also. not sure if they sell to the public or not though.

Thanks to @Mike66Chryslers for sending me 9 nice trim clips for the top stainless from his 1966. He sent them to me this summer. This weekend I was able to make a mold and reproduce these clips.

I will be offering these up for sale soon. I am going to track down some small O rings. I am pretty sure I found some plastic rod at Fastenal to use as the small push rod, when I installed my trim.

If I am correct these clips work on all 1965 and 66 models, to attach the top outside edge stainless trim to the body.
View attachment 232289 View attachment 232290
I'm looking for the lense guy, I'm interested in in some of these clips for my 65 Chrysler. Chris

I'm looking for the lense guy, I'm interested in in some of these clips for my 65 Chrysler. Chris
Hi Chris you have reached him. I would be happy to help you out. Send me a PM and we can discuss what you need.

Back