New valve covers from AMD. Quite nice!

Trace 300 Hurst

Professional Tinkerer
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the MoPerf valve covers (and air cleaner and a bunch of other details) with correct-looking stuff, so I bit the bullet and ordered the AMD repro covers. Wow....pretty nice stuff.

I'll be using 8mm wires, so I had to do a little work enlarging the wire looms (brackets) on the passenger side cover. The black boots simply slide off, then I took a paper punch to nibble away at the rubber inside the boots. The metal bracket is large enough for the 8mm wire....perfect fit. I'll use a bit of liquid electrical tape to restore the rubber removed from the boot when I finally fit the wires to provide abrasion protection to the wire, but that's kinda overkill.

As far as other plug wire looms (meaning all the white plastic stuff we have on these engines) I've GENTLY run a 19/64ths drill thru them so that 8mm wires will fit, particularly the little round insulators. I found that 5/16 (basically 8mm) is a bit too loose. You can see that drill through one of the insulators in the photo.

Back to the covers, they're very nice, but are covered in manufacturing grime. So before you break out the rattle can (Orange? Turquoise? Blue? Early Red? :poke: ) you have to really, really wipe them down with lacquer thinner inside and out, and blow out metal particles, etc. They're pretty, but damn DIRTY!

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG

Around two bills like that, or 3 chromed.
Yes, exactly two bills for the covers. I forgot who, exactly, I ordered from, but it was filled via a drop-ship from AMD. Oil cap and PVC and breather and the damn bolt package (!!!) kicked it to almost three-ish.

I recall that once upon a time a long time ago, I spent a week trying to get a set of 340 valve covers stripped, hammered flat at the gasket surface, cleaned, painted....and they still looked crappy and leaked. I love resto parts!

I do. I’m making custom boxes for shipping to keep the cost down for the buyer. Filter is 100% clean, freshly oiled and ready to go, and comes with a new can of K&N oil. The covers are still on engine for at least a couple of weeks and will include gasket crud and oily residue, no extra charge. And chrome breather, PCV stuff too. The nice thing about these covers is that they absolutely don’t leak. Rugged!!

Nice!! Did the wire looms / white plastic bits comes form AMD as well? If not, where? All Mine are shot and need replacement. Thx

The wire loom stuff is beautifully reproduced by Hoffman's Winner's Circle Hoffman's Winners Circle Mopar Restoration Parts (along with lots of other really cool stuff), but they don't sell direct to you and me. I went through Layson's and maybe one or two other vendors. The white plastic stuff is available from everywhere, including Year One.

Oh, some of the metal brackets come with the white plastic bits (particularly the #7 and #8 wire brackets that go on the back of the cylinder heads on big blocks), and other earlier stuff comes with the black rubbery-plastic insulation, same as what's on the AMD valve covers. Pretty much everything is reproduced now, but it's typically under "B Body" parts lists.

And finally, (and incredibly!) some of the white plastics are available "yellowed" to look more like a survivor and much less like New Stuff.

Last edited:
Back