New Yorker 440 Exhaust Questions

FACE.PALM.EMOJI.300x292.jpg

You can't lose with headers. You will get benefits at all rpm, period. It will increase torque at low rpm increasing throttle response from cylinder scavenging. It will increase cylinder flow at higher rpm in a passing situation. Look at the exhaust on any new car/or girly pickup truck and you will see a exhaust manifold that does not look like a block of cast iron with a pipe hanging off.

Yes of course there are big time benefits especially for a racer like you. I was just thinking that this kid might get a bigger bang for his buck for his stock engine with dual exhausts and a rear ratio change. Actually hearing the clip that engine needs some attention.

Last edited:
Ahhh let the kid have a time with it. We have been there. Headers are not for racing, they just work. The crappiest headers will out flow a stock manifold by huge amounts at any rpm. With a NA car you need the exhaust gone.

Yes of course there are big time benefits especially for a racer like you. I was just thinking that this kid might get a bigger bang for his buck for his stock engine with dual exhausts and a rear ratio change. Actually hearing the clip that engine needs some attention.
Out of curiosity, what did you hear that didn't sound right? I know there is a problem with the starter, which is that squealing noise at startup, a new mini starter is on the way.

Don't tighten the f_@? Out of the flanges and use hi temp red RTV.
Pick a set you think will fit. Everything from 1957-1976 had basic layout, dimensions changed, starter, bell housing trans pan all similar.
Thank you for all the info, I linked the headers I am planning on using on page one, so hopefully they fit, I have not heard of RTV until now so Ill look into grabbing that at Advance.

I don't remember the brand, but at least one set of headers would fit a Formal Chrysler:

20200920_222330.jpg

is that a 400 though? (too blurry to see if there's a top ID pad). 400 would have a little extra room.

What are the pros and cons of the above mid length header over a full length besides installation may be easier?

As far as I know, midlength headers do have a bit less flow than full-length headers because the runners on midlength headers are shorter. However, I believe midlength headers may be less expensive. Some cars come stock with midlength headers, such as the 6.1L HEMI exhaust manifold, which is incredibly similar to midlenght-shorty headers. Lastly, your exhuast pipe will have to be run up to meet the midlength headers, while long tube headers end under the car, meaning just a straight, horizontal exhaust pipe is needed.
Hope this helps,
77newyorker440

Do mid length headers favor any one area of the power band as opposed to full length I wonder.

Back