Newport in the woods ...

Jeff

Reaction score
rotting away.

20130822_113915_1961-NewportVert.jpg

20130822_113924_NewportVert.jpg

20130822_113934_NewportVert.jpg

20130822_114001_NewportVert.jpg

Must have been drop dead gorgeous in its day!

Regardless of the body damage, the engine is now artificial reef material... damage done by someone too stubborn to sell when they should have is my guess.

Regardless of the body damage, the engine is now artificial reef material... damage done by someone too stubborn to sell when they should have is my guess.
Be thankful someone was "too stubborn to sell" all those years ago as at least it's there to be seen today in any condition.

A 1961 car could have been junkyard bound as early as late 60's. These cars were not desirable at all in the 70's / 80's. If it had sold during that time, it would have probably went for less than a hundred bucks to a teenager that would have wrecked/destoyed it within months. I am guilty of being one of them. I was still buying them in that price range in the early 90's and was mocked for wasting my money on ugly Chryslers with fins.

It's easy to have rose colored glassed about the past. The truth is Forwardlook cars have value today because they were not desirable for so long and so few survived.

Be thankful someone was "too stubborn to sell" all those years ago as at least it's there to be seen today in any condition.

A 1961 car could have been junkyard bound as early as late 60's. These cars were not desirable at all in the 70's / 80's. If it had sold during that time, it would have probably went for less than a hundred bucks to a teenager that would have wrecked/destoyed it within months. I am guilty of being one of them. I was still buying them in that price range in the early 90's and was mocked for wasting my money on ugly Chryslers with fins.

It's easy to have rose colored glassed about the past. The truth is Forwardlook cars have value today because they were not desirable for so long and so few survived.
Not arguing... but I would suspect it would be in worse shape sitting in there that long. Another 5 years you'll have to buy the tree growing out of it too.

Not arguing... but I would suspect it would be in worse shape sitting in there that long. Another 5 years you'll have to buy the tree growing out of it too.
No arguing here either. I certainly can't dispute the possibility of a tree in the very near future. I shouldn't have quoted your original comment specifically and just made a general statement instead.

That is John Fowlie's car . He is on forwardlook.net. The car sold brand new in Ithaca,NY the dealer was Erie J Miller Chrysler plymouth at the time. The car is done now and running

Somebody should snatch that car out of the woods and this one too that just popped up on Craigslist

1962 chrysler imperial conv., project

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

1962 imperial convertible. 1 of 552 built. Needs total resoration. Original, black on black. Floors rotted, frame very solid. Original 413 motor and auto trans. This car is a very rare and desirable car, worth a lot restored. No tittle, or vin. One can be obtained from secretary of state, with inspection. This is a true project, with great potential. $2500 or best offer.

Here is another Newport convertible in the same wrecking yard (Gates, in Vermont). These were taken three years ago. I recently heard that the yard is actively trying to get rid of its stock of old cars and is going to scrap what isn't sold. It may have already happened.

20130822_114310_Newport1965Vert.jpg

20130822_114250_Newport-1965Vert.jpg

Back