NHRA success penalty for MOPARS

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
11AFF70F-A463-4B0C-A547-E526C677FB53.jpeg
The NHRA has a penelaty it levies to MOPARS that start winning races. The Factory Stock Drag Pak Challengers have won 3 in a row. The only races they have won
11AFF70F-A463-4B0C-A547-E526C677FB53.jpeg
& the good ole NHRA rewarded them with a 50 pound burden.

That's the only way the bowtie/blue oval brigade can beat MoPars...that way in the past...that way now.....

NHRA hates to see one make or another dominate the races unless it is the one paying the most to the NHRA. Years ago Nascar did the same thing with the Hemi engines on the grand national circuit with the carb restrictor plates, yes everybody had to run them but the Hemi would not run anywhere right with the plate.

Dave

After 1970 NHRA and NASCAR put the kibosh to the Hemi. The winged cars were restricted to 305 C.I and the hemi's were as Dave said, required to run restrictor plates. NHRA added severe weight penalties on them to "level" the field.

The same thing happened in Prostock when it went to fuel injection. The entire system was to give the advantage to bowtie engines. Just like the government picking the winners.

They need to get some window/bumper stickers that read "I still beat your ***, even with a handicap".

For those of you not old old enough to remember, the Chev 409 on the drag circuit was shipped pregnant and usually had "babies" all over the track.

Dave

If it wasn't in added weight, it was in "factored" power ratings. If it appeared an engine was over-rated in their factory horsepower ratings, they might make a 383/325 into 383/300 for class definition purposes. Or in the case of the 340/275, I believe it became 340/290? In some cases, the weights attached to different models of the same car could be different AND provide a class advantage if you played everything correctly!

For example, a local 2nd Gen hot rodder/mechanic discovered that a '80 Camaro Berlinetta had a "better" weight than a Z/28 did. So he built a '80 Berlinetta with a 455 Buick motor and became quite competitive in the chosen class. All it took was a pair of "Berlinetta" name plates!

Sometimes, I think it's the psychology of being "under-dogged" by these regulations that makes "losers" before the race begins? IF you do feel "under-dogged", then doing things to a higher degree of execution is needed. Whether it's in tuning the motor, a better tire choice, a little more gear, or a Chrysler-spec drag racing wheel alignment. BUT when you hit that magic combination, it's all better!

For NHRA, NASCAR, et al, it's all about "the show" and getting people to pay to see it. If some might complain about a rule change or whatever, that just fuels the fire and makes things better. It's always been quite obvious that when Plymouths/Dodges regularly win, it fires up the Mopar people and bores the BowTie/BlueOval people (because THEIR favorite brands aren't winning), by observation. It can be a big balancing act for the promoters. In more recent times, it seems to be more about the drivers than about "the cars". AND the different color schemes for each race, with respect to the die cast sales!

Just some observations,
CBODY67

OR find a lighter driver!

CBODY67
Not sure if a 'lightweight" driver would help. Today I think that there is a minimum for the car and the driver probably would not matter all that much although a 90lb girl is going to have an overall lighter package than putting a 220lb guy behind the wheel. Do not know if there is a min or max for the driver and car for NHRA, been gone too long.

Dave

I believe it's "all car" without the driver? Of course, one of the old Ramcharger drag race recommendations was to put the driver's seat as far back as you could and still push the buttons to shift (circa 1963). That would give taller, lankier drivers and advantage!

CBODY67

It’s weight with driver. That’s the Angel Sampay rule. Back n the 90’s tiny 90 pound Angel Sampay was killing the boys who where 165 & up. So NHRA made it weight with driver from then on. Still a small driver is helpful because any weight you save in that seat can be put on the rear.

This kind of bullshit is why I stopped watching my beloved MoPars in "pro" motorsports.

jagoff1.gif

Well, Leah Pritchett won the championship in factory stock but had to depend on a Ford beating a Chevy in the other semi-final to clinch it.
At least it will go down in history books much the same as the past. New class Mopar sorts it out, dominates then never to be heard from again.

Thanks again NHRA for boring races.
Good thing those nitro cars explode in spectacular fashion crossing the finish line or there literally would be no reason to watch, ever.

Back