Nice 1958 Desoto Fireflite Coupe for Sale in Hemmings

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not mine.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/desoto/fireflite/2210129.html

Mostly original it appears, with a repaint. I am virtually certain the front seat inserts are not original as stated in the listing, as they should be pleated like the ones in the rear that you can faintly see in one of the photos. At least the price is negotiable since it isn't a restored car, but a well maintained original one according to the owner. With no photos of the engine compartment, I would think the price is very negotiable, otherwise he would have included at least one. And it needs the wide white walls on a larger tire badly not the skinny whitewalls on tires that are way too small.

65321315-770-0@2X.jpg

65321319-770-0@2X.jpg

65321322-770-0@2X.jpg

65321324-770-0@2X.jpg

65321326-770-0@2X.jpg

65321327-770-0@2X.jpg

65321328-770-0@2X.jpg

65321316-770-0@2X.jpg

VIN #: LS3**6252
Mileage: 72,570
Transmission: Auto
Condition: Excellent
Exterior: Pearl White & Wedgewood Blue
Interior: Blue & White vinyl

Seller’s Description:

This 1958 DeSoto Fireflite 2-door Hardtop Coupe is an attention-getter. Large, distinct, and luxurious. Finished in two-tone Pearl White & Wedgewood Blue. Powered by a poly 361-cid V-8 with 305 hp and a 3-speed pushbutton automatic transmission. Exterior of the car was repainted in 1995. The interior sports the original blue and white vinyl seats, carpet and headliner and all are in excellent condition. Equiped with power windows and seats, all operational. With exception to the fuel gauge and radio, all instruments work. Trunk photo shows the existing original cracked rubber liner. Pampered and always garaged, this car is in excellent condition, has no rust and drives great. Clean title. 72,570 miles are shown on the 5-digit odometer, but true mileage is unknown. Shipping within the continental United States is included.

Price: $45,000 negotiable

Beautiful Desoto. Speaks to a different era, that's for sure. Style, elegance and class!

I like the car and will never be able to afford a forward look in decent shape. I'm not trying to disparage this car because I love the Mopar Forward look cars, I'm just curious if anyone else noticed this similarity and, on a separate note, does anyone no of two cars of this era by different manufacturers that were, IMO, so close in design of the front end?

65321319-770-0@2X.jpg

62194225-770-0@2X.jpg

I really like the polished headliner bows. Its a classy detail that I wish had continued on through later years. Were they stainless or polished aluminum?

Last edited:
I like the car and will never be able to afford a forward look in decent shape. I'm not trying to disparage this car because I love the Mopar Forward look cars, I'm just curious if anyone else noticed this similarity and, on a separate note, does anyone no of two cars of this era by different manufacturers that were, IMO, so close in design of the front end?

View attachment 261311
View attachment 261312

They may have similar themes but the Ford doesn't cut it in my opinion - the Desoto is just stylish, while the Ford is a little clumsy looking to me in the front, but maybe I am biased.

I really like the polished headliner bows. Its a classy detail that I wish had continued on through later years. Were they stainless or polished aluminum?

The ones in my 300C and 300F are polished stainless.

I like the Ford, but it's nowhere as nice as the DeSoto. No way most car people could mistake the DeSoto for a Ford or vice versa.

the 57&58 Chrysler&Desotos are great looking cars (real Desotos, not the Firesweeps with the Dodge Front end).

saforwardlook said:
I am virtually certain the front seat inserts are not original as stated in the listing, as they should be pleated like the ones in the rear that you can faintly see in one of the photos.
This being the upscale Fireflite I also assume the seat backs should have inserts in pleated vinyl in the upper part and "stunning gold-flocked nugget tweed" in the lower part as well as on the actual seat surface. Or some other fancy material, but not plain vanilla vinyl.

DESOTO%2058V-02&03.jpg

DESOTO%2058V-04&05.jpg

DESOTO%2058V-12&13.jpg

This being the upscale Fireflite I also assume the seat backs should have inserts in pleated vinyl in the upper part and "stunning gold-flocked nugget tweed" in the lower part as well as on the actual seat surface. Or some other fancy material, but not plain vanilla vinyl.

View attachment 261439

View attachment 261440

View attachment 261441

I would usually tend to agree but then what did they use in the convertible models for example that might have been available for the 2 door hard tops as well? My thought was that the example for sale has the correct original seats in the rear given the accumulated miles on the car and those are pleated vinyl inserts instead of fabric while the front ones are just plain vinyl that the owner was too lazy to make original. But I am not sure regarding all the options available on the Fireflites though.

That is one gorgeous automobile.IMO,those two years of DeSoto's and Chryslers are the absolute pinnacle of 50's styling and nothing GM or Ford ever built even comes close.

Steve, you pinpointed it. I guess there was a colorful variety of patterns and materials to choose from. So one could only be sure about the correct looks of the seats if one had the 1958 DeSoto color & upholstery selector.

It makes perfect sense the convertible did not have cloth seats. They would suffer in a sudden rain with the top still open. I guess that's the reason why convertibles always came with leather seats in earlier times or with vinyl upholstery later on.

Back