On my 66 furywagon.
No brakelites.
Fuse is good .and brake switch. Is good
Changed bulbs .
I have taillights and turn signals
Just no brakelites .
Any help or direction would help.
Thank u

Brake lights go through the turn signal switch, not directly from the brake light switch itself. As I recall.

CBODY67 is probably correct. The brake lights and turn signals are fed by a common lead from the fuse block. Download the wiring diagram from www.mymopar.com. Since you have turn signals, try spanning the connector for the brake light switch to see if the brake lights come on. If they come on, you have a bad brake light switch. If they do not come on there is probably a problem with the turn signal switch or the plug for it. If this vehicle has the optional 4-way flasher, be sure the switch for it is disengaged.

Dave

Last edited:
As mentioned start by getting the wiring diagrams. Both the turn signal and brake light utilize the same filament in the bulb so if the turn signal works the wiring to the bulb and the bulb are good. It is the turn signal that determines whether it is using the bulb as a turn indicator or brake light. Start at the brake light switch for power then determine which wires go to the turn signal bulkhead and check for power on both sides. These connections are problematic. If power is going to the turn signal switch when the brakes are applied then it is likely the turn signal switch that is faulty.
Also make sure your grounds are good. You could possibly have a back feed problem due to bad grounds.

I'm not sure if this'll help, but here's a picture of a highlighted '65 CBody schematic (please forgive the crudeness, I'm using it for my own project). I compared this with the schematic from my '66, and even though the colors are different, the routing through the column connector is the same. I verified all the points with a multimeter, and the attached schematic is accurate. The resolution from the picture on here stinks, so if you need I can email it to you as well.

IMG_2944.jpg

It is likely in the turn signal switch, but. Verify that the brake light switch is engaging when the pedal is depressed. It could be out of adjustment.

It is likely in the turn signal switch, but. Verify that the brake light switch is engaging when the pedal is depressed. It could be out of adjustment.
I had a couple bad switches OOTB, worth a check. Laying upside down on the floor wedged under the dash is not the most pleasant experience.

Back