No Head/Tail Lights, but break lights work...

SPF Required

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Fuses all appear to be intact. Looks like a good starting place is the floor dimmer switch? Can anyone share a link of the right part??

Thank you! And happy 4th of July!!

Dimmer switch only affects the headlights, I believe. Brake lights feed through the turn signal switch. What about with the park lights only?

Dimmer switches are pretty common items among various brands of vehicles?

CBODY67

Start at your headlight switch. Make sure you have power in, if not your main dash feed has a broken wire. if you do have power in, your switch is bad.

Some years they used fusible links in the headlight power circuit (power in). If you have no power to the switch, look for a burnt link. There are typically more than one fusible link, separate ones for alternator, headlights, etc.

The dimmer switch only works with the headlights, so you can eliminate that.

The headlights have a circuit breaker on the switch and the tail lights are fused. Basically two power sources, so when both fail, it kind of points to the switch being the problem.

The best thing you can do is download a FSM from http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109 and print out the wiring diagrams. Take a colored highlighter and trace out the wiring routes and then check them.

It could be as simple as the headlight switch has come unplugged...

As always, I am grateful for the advice. I will begin my quest to get this fixed today and keep you all posted.

I do own a hard copy of the FSM and will start with highlighting the wiring diagram as suggested. Curious though, and maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a 1968 FSM available at the website.... MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals. Again, I own one, but having access to a PDF would be good too.

Thank you!

As always, I am grateful for the advice. I will begin my quest to get this fixed today and keep you all posted.

I do own a hard copy of the FSM and will start with highlighting the wiring diagram as suggested. Curious though, and maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a 1968 FSM available at the website.... MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals. Again, I own one, but having access to a PDF would be good too.

Thank you!
Yep, that one is missing.

I'll bet a full size Plymouth will have a very similar wiring diagram. Might be worth looking at.

Photocopies of your wiring diagram could be helpful too... Just something to draw on, make notes etc.

I suspect the '67 FSM would be almost the same in the wiring schematic situation. Except for some 1968-specific items (usually emissions-related electrical items).

ALSO, note that the schematic is in color, accurate with the wiring color codes. So you know what you're looking for "in colors".

Keep us posted, please.
CBODY67

I suspect the '67 FSM would be almost the same in the wiring schematic situation. Except for some 1968-specific items (usually emissions-related electrical items).

ALSO, note that the schematic is in color, accurate with the wiring color codes. So you know what you're looking for "in colors".

Keep us posted, please.
CBODY67
They don't list a '67 Chrysler manual either.

For this basic wiring issue, I suspect that all Chrysler products used similar color codes for at least several years. As long as it's a C-body, in particular, but possibly other platforms too. But things could have changed, with many other things, for the 1969 model year!

With an existing FSM hard copy to use for comparison, then another model year of pdf could be investigated?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

SUCCESS! Getting to that headlight switch is no joke. Turns out it did indeed come unplugged. Appears the tab to the harness broke at some point.

some pics:

EE325A68-101E-48EB-A0CC-D54ACDED07BD.jpeg

And since I now have the warning light bezel out, I’ll go ahead and trouble shoot that too. (Hopefully bulb replacement only).

image.jpg

Not exactly how I wanted to spend the day today, but really glad I could get to the bottom of this. It was no fun driving home in the dark last night.

I cannot thank you guys enough for your quick and helpful advice. I appreciate it very much.

Happy 4th of July!

Back