No ignition after boosting

mathiew

Reaction score
Hi, this morning I start my car and it die neer my house, I push it into the garage, then I boost it, I made a few try and then, no ignition, same thing with my truck running and boosting it, 1965 chrysler 300

When you say no ignition does the engine crank or there is no power at all in the car?

Hi, this morning I start my car and it die neer my house, I push it into the garage, then I boost it, I made a few try and then, no ignition, same thing with my truck running and boosting it, 1965 chrysler 300

Need more information.

1.) Given that the engine does not crank, check the terminals on your starter solenoid, these frequently got corroded over time, clean them up and run a test light to the battery lead that is hooked to the solenoid, you should have power to the solenoid, if you do not, there is a bad connection to one of the battery terminals. Correct that problem before proceeding further.
2.) Be sure that the transmission is in the neutral position with the parking brake set.
3.) If you have power, try to again start the vehicle. If it starts, you probably have fixed the problem.
4.) If the vehicle still will not crank, the starter solenoid may have failed. The two large wires hooked to the starter solenoid can be Jumped with a short piece of wire, if that causes the starter to engage, the starter solenoid may have failed.

Do the above and report back as there are several other things that could be wrong.

Dave

Check the battery terminals too! I had an experience after I installed the old Mopar Perf electronic ignition kit. After it was all installed, I test-started it 4 times, but the 5th time, noting. A new started solenoid did not help, either. "Voltage" was everywhere, but still no crank. In a close look at the terminals, I could see a thin bit of corrosion between the terminal and battery post. Pulled it apart and there was a thin layer of it on the post. Cleaned it with a wire brush battery terminal cleaner, put the terminals back on the post, and it fired up just like it should. A minor thing that caused a major issue.

If that doesn't help, then look for the "big red wire" coming out of the fuseblock, inside the car. Same color on the outside, too. That is the main ignition switch feed. On my '67, the inner connection terminal was a bit loose, so it would not make good contact. I could push it back into its hole and then things would work again. I need to crimp it a bit tighter, but haven't gotten around to doing that just yet.

Hope this might help,
CBODY67

On the 69-up cars there is a fusible link that runs with the positive battery cable. I'm unsure if that's there on the earlier cars. But if that connection is loose, car dies. I've had it happen to me a few times.

If there are no lights or anything at all you need to follow the wire from the battery to the starter relay. From that point a fusible link goes to the firewall connector. If it looks ok I would suspect the firewall connection is bad. Reach down and wiggle the wire while the headlights/etc are on. If they flicker or do anything at all that is the bad connection. You can buy these terminals from www.delcity.net. Look for Packard 56 terminals. This is a common failure point.

Back