No Spark

was wrong in post #39. checked my car this evening. has 5.5v coil positive to ground, 4.5v across coil +/-. was thinking ign. box was normally open with key on, engine off, but is not. does pass ground to coil k.o.e.o. might still be a bad box, but presence of ground from box at coil - doesn't prove or disprove. sorry for any confusion. deleted post.

Last edited:
Still have not figured this out. I'm ready to guess that it needs a new (orange) ignition module. But who knows? Anyone have any other ideas based on my measurements? Not finding ignition modules anywhere either...anyone know where a complete kit or piece parts can be had?

Update: Because of the low voltage readings I got in run/start and not getting a real consensus here, I really wasn't sure this was going to fix it. In the end, I decided to take Triple Pickle's advice: He said "I agree with running a hot wire to the coil to temporarily eliminate some of the potential wiring problems. Also make darn sure that the electronic control box is grounded good. Is there a ground strap from the engine to the body? Is it making good connection? I’m all for testing with meters and lights, but, I’m also for getting one running and being done with it. I’d buy a new electronic box and try it. If that’s not the problem, no biggie, you’ll have a spare for next time."

I didn't want to order it on-line, so I called a different (neighboring town) Advance Auto Parts and they got me a new Electronic Control Module, no problem, for only $22.00. (He said "a lot of guys don't know how to find the old parts") So, I crossed my fingers, installed it and the car started right up! My friend is so happy...so am I!

Thanks guys for all your input. I learned quite a lot in the process too.

Last edited:
Back