No-Start with New Ignition

77newyorker440

Reaction score
Good Morning Guys,
The 77 440 now will not start after getting a new carb and ignition system. I tested for spark at the plugs, plenty of it. I'm thinking this is a timing issue. Does anyone know what the tdc mark looks like on the balancer, I seam to just have a few identical lines spaced around the balancer. I turned the distributer about 40 degrees, trying it at different angles, and still have had no success.
Thanks,
77newyorker440

Last edited:
First thing to check if new distributor is if its in 180 degrees out.

That's my bet.

To find TDC of #1, pull #1 plug and put your thumb over the hole while you crank the engine over with a breaker bar. When the compression comes up and you can't hold your thumb there, look at the balancer and rotate Clockwise to the mark. If you have to rotate it more than a 1/4 turn, you've done something wrong.

3 things you need to start the car
Air
Fuel
Spark.
You determind there is spark.
So check to see if there is fuel going through the new carb.
Did you fill the float bowl with gas?
Or at least prime it?
Were there any mods done to fuel line to fit new carb? Any kinks?
Did you replace fuel filter?
Air...make sure the throttle plates are not completely closed.
After droping gas down the carb you msy have to open the throttle to get her running.
Then fine tuning begins..
Hope this helps.

Okay so I held the choke open with a screw driver and the throttle slightly open with the pedal and it is now backfiring and popping. I don't think it is 180 out as I put it in the same position that it was when I took the old distributor out

Okay so I held the choke open with a screw driver and the throttle slightly open with the pedal and it is now backfiring and popping. I don't think it is 180 out as I put it in the same position that it was when I took the old distributor out
That sounds like it IS 180 out :poke:

Okay maybe so but I'm 100% sure that it was pointing towards the front of the passenger side valve cover before and after I put it in, could it be one off?

Might wanna double check your firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
If that checks out find TDC like Big John said and go from there

Okay maybe so but I'm 100% sure that it was pointing towards the front of the passenger side valve cover before and after I put it in, could it be one off?
If you're confident you're not 180 out, then start dialing in the timing, because it sounds like its way off.

One time when I did a LB conversion I bought one of those "all in one" conversion kits and it was backfiring and carrying on...so bad that it split the muffler completely down the seam...sounded like a howitzer went off. When we could get it to run we heard a clicking coming from the distributor...turned out that the brand new Chinisium distributor was warped and permitted the pick up coil to actually periodically hit the hall effect rotor...that was the clicking.

I slapped in an old wrecking yard OEM distributor that was sitting under the bench for 10 years and the car ran perfectly. So new does not guarantee functional

Last edited:
I did take some pics, this is what it was when I took it apart, looks like it should be pointing at the cylinder two wire imo, so I put the wires on using that reference

20220109_163632.jpg

20220109_163636.jpg

Are you using same distributor? You just might be way off on timing, set you top dead centre, look where rotor is pointing, confirm that it is at number one post and wire on cap. set balance mark at 10 degrees advance then line up number one post with rotor. fill float bowels with fuel down vent tubes. I use a fine hole on the top of my hand fuel bottle, you can see what I use in my Youtube video called First start.
Plenty of great info previously posted, just hoping to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not familiar with your setup but that distributor looks weird. Where is the pickup pointing at? Looks like a double pickup at 6 and 12 o'clock?

For reference, mine is at around 9 o'clock:
20211114_135651.jpg

Remember that the distributor rotates counter clockwise..
Seen too many people--and I did this myself-- wire up the plug wires like a small block. Same firing order! Just backwards..LOL!

Okay so I'll move them all one over in a counterclockwise direction and report my results
Rather than take a chance that you are getting it right, find the TDC mark on the dampner, crank the engine until that mark aligns with the zero timing mark. Now the rotor should be pointed at #1 cylinder, if it's not, give the engine one more crank to the zero mark and now it will be.

This is really basic stuff that you need to do first.

Now put the number #1 plug wire in the cap where the rotor points. Going counter clockwise, follow with #8 etc. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

If it runs, check and set with your timing light. (You do have a timing light? Correct?)

And that's assuming that the distributor isn't in 180 degrees out.

Back