No steering assist on idle '68 Newport

Metalmarty

Reaction score
Hi all,

Question. I was testing my power steering. And I dont have assist at idle. Only if I rev it a little bit my assist starts working.

I've got a federal pump with a 7 inch pulley.
IMG_20200914_195207.jpg

I took it apart and all the parts appeared to be in great condition. I did replace orings and seals

IMG_20201002_180348.jpg

I also shimmed the internal valve to drop maximum pressure for less total assist. But this shouldn't matter when the engine is idling.
IMG_20201004_142706.jpg

Is it normal that you dont have assist on idle? Seems weird to me.
Any ideas what it could be?

I saw someone mentioning new federal pumps at napa. But if i visit the website it says that the part is not available

I rebuilt my federal pump couple months ago although mine has the solid pulley. I didn't shim the internal valve but I have full assist at idle.

Have you bled your power steering after reinstall?

upload_2021-4-12_18-32-6.png

I remember my FSM mentioning something about making sure the fibre gasket and seal plate are aligned or it won't function properly.

I rebuilt my federal pump couple months ago although mine has the solid pulley. I didn't shim the internal valve but I have full assist at idle.

Have you bled your power steering after reinstall?

I did bleed the power steering pump. But I will try to do it again. The whole system was dry and didn't even took a quart of fluid (power steering fluid, bot atf).

Wheels in the air. Engine running and turning wheel lock to lock multiple times right?

View attachment 480047

I remember my FSM mentioning something about making sure the fibre gasket and seal plate are aligned or it won't function properly.

I'm sure they are assembled correctly.
If I can't get it working again in idle I will take it apart again to take a look.

I did bleed the power steering pump. But I will try to do it again. The whole system was dry and didn't even took a quart of fluid (power steering fluid, bot atf).

Wheels in the air. Engine running and turning wheel lock to lock multiple times right?

I'm sure they are assembled correctly.
If I can't get it working again in idle I will take it apart again to take a look.
That's how I bled mine.

Sounds like it's not moving enough fluid around in idle but if it's not air and it's assembled right only thing I can think of is a worn rotor and I can't help with that.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can give you some better advice

Is that pulley the usual size? It looks large to me, could it be failing to reach minimum pump rpm? Just a thought, others will know for sure. LC

My federal pump on my 68 doesn't look like that, mine is the 'solid' kind. Don't know the diameter right off, I think it's like 5"? Doesn't look like a 7" though.

Is that pulley the usual size? It looks large to me, could it be failing to reach minimum pump rpm? Just a thought, others will know for sure. LC

My federal pump on my 68 doesn't look like that, mine is the 'solid' kind. Don't know the diameter right off, I think it's like 5"? Doesn't look like a 7" though.

The 7" open pulley I have is an original mopar part and seems to be original with some federal pumps. Can't find too much information on this though.

For what I can remember is that I had powersteering when idling before I started working on the car. So it can't be much. But I'm not 100% sure anymore... It's been a while.

Who on this forum knows a lot on the power steering system that I can tag? :)

What is your idle set at? If you have a tach, throw it on there and see if you are in spec (or not). Just a thought.. the only other thing I can think of is if someone mucked around with the adjuster on the steering box and it is binding slightly at idle rpm.. Good luck

Back