no vent tube on my 1964 Canadian Chrysler New Yorker

Keldon59

Reaction score
I just removed the gas tank to clean it out and I see there is no vent tube on it. I'm not overly familiar with venting systems on a '64 but I thought they did have a vent tube. I don't think the gas cap is vented. Any thoughts as to correctness?

1WyhgLl3R6+rT6x2AsKAew.jpg

YfHZhZ63TuexdT7lPLAqQw.jpg

Last edited:
'64 Chryslers did not have a vent tube on the tank. If memory serves me correctly, it should have a vented cap.

Dave

No internal rust on this tank just a 12"x8" patch of varnish down by the fuel pickup, not bad for sitting around for 18yrs, cleaned up nicely with some acetone and naphtha I had hanging around.:thumbsup:

Were you having drivability problems by using a non-vented cap? This may answer the three ??? query posted by @1966newport -Using a non-vented cap on a non-vented tank would gradually have the fuel system developing enough of a vacuum in the tank that the fuel pump would not be able to overcome it, and the fuel delivery to the engine would cease or cavitate. As well, conversely, the tank could experience expansion issues when no venting exists, and spray gas and fumes out when removing the cap to fill.

Both issues were eliminated with a vented cap as originally designed. However, part of the issue for moving to a tank design with venting tubes and a non-vented cap was to permit less sloshing of fuel out the filler tube that occurred with a vented cap when the tank was full, and to prevent the potential for water to get in the same way. As well, as the design evolved in conjunction with emissions laws, the venting tubes were able to be used with vapour recovery systems and charcoal cannisters etc. in the aid of environmental concerns.

Were you having drivability problems by using a non-vented cap? This may answer the three ??? query posted by @1966newport -Using a non-vented cap on a non-vented tank would gradually have the fuel system developing enough of a vacuum in the tank that the fuel pump would not be able to overcome it, and the fuel delivery to the engine would cease or cavitate. As well, conversely, the tank could experience expansion issues when no venting exists, and spray gas and fumes out when removing the cap to fill.

Both issues were eliminated with a vented cap as originally designed. However, part of the issue for moving to a tank design with venting tubes and a non-vented cap was to permit less sloshing of fuel out the filler tube that occurred with a vented cap when the tank was full, and to prevent the potential for water to get in the same way. As well, as the design evolved in conjunction with emissions laws, the venting tubes were able to be used with vapour recovery systems and charcoal cannisters etc. in the aid of environmental concerns.
Great info Ross, trying to find what a 1964 vented gas cap looks like, not sure what mine is.
Thanks RW

Great info Ross, trying to find what a 1964 vented gas cap looks like, not sure what mine is.
Thanks RW

The vented ones usually had a hole in the center of the bayonet lug like the one in your photo. The aftermarket ones were usually stamped "vented".

Dave

Back