Noisy starter (sometimes)

71FuryGC

Reaction score
Any opinions or advice on this appreciated. When starting cold my starter motor is always flawless. However when up to operating temperature, like after stopping for ga$, it will sometimes make a crunching sound as the engine fires. It sounds to me as if the starter pinion is either failing to disengage for a split second or it is rotating faster than the engine pinion. Also occasionally it will slow down as the engine fires like a Harley will when pushing against engine compression. The starter looks as old as the car and hasn't failed to fire up the stock 360. Should I just replace the starter?

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Also occasionally it will slow down as the engine fires like a Harley will when pushing against engine compression.
Back the ignition timing off a couple degrees and see if that helps.

Cue the mini starter recommendations... :mob:

71FuryGC

Reaction score
Back the ignition timing off a couple degrees and see if that helps.

Cue the mini starter recommendations... :mob:
Thanks John. I currently have the timing set at 0 backed off 2 1/2 degrees from stock, I believe. When I first bought the car I think it was retarded 4 degrees. At that time the starter was sometimes "lazy" after a rotation but always started. It ran ok on 87 octane with 10% ethanol but pinged once advanced to 0 and now I'm feeding her 91 octane without ethanol which cured the ping.

1970FuryConv

Reaction score
Any opinions or advice on this appreciated. When starting cold my starter motor is always flawless. However when up to operating temperature, like after stopping for ga$, it will sometimes make a crunching sound as the engine fires. It sounds to me as if the starter pinion is either failing to disengage for a split second or it is rotating faster than the engine pinion. Also occasionally it will slow down as the engine fires like a Harley will when pushing against engine compression. The starter looks as old as the car and hasn't failed to fire up the stock 360. Should I just replace the starter?
I agree with replace or rebuild. If you go the mini starter route, @Badvert65 sells conversion kits for the ring terminal mounting studs.

71FuryGC

Reaction score
I agree with replace or rebuild. If you go the mini starter route, @Badvert65 sells conversion kits for the ring terminal mounting studs.
Thanks Ben. Any specific recommendations for a mini starter? Are they better/less expensive than a replacement regular size or rebuild of the original? I don't want to find myself stranded at the ga$ station!
Carl