Noisy starter (sometimes)

71FuryGC

Reaction score
Any opinions or advice on this appreciated. When starting cold my starter motor is always flawless. However when up to operating temperature, like after stopping for ga$, it will sometimes make a crunching sound as the engine fires. It sounds to me as if the starter pinion is either failing to disengage for a split second or it is rotating faster than the engine pinion. Also occasionally it will slow down as the engine fires like a Harley will when pushing against engine compression. The starter looks as old as the car and hasn't failed to fire up the stock 360. Should I just replace the starter?

Also occasionally it will slow down as the engine fires like a Harley will when pushing against engine compression.
Back the ignition timing off a couple degrees and see if that helps.

Cue the mini starter recommendations... :mob:

Back the ignition timing off a couple degrees and see if that helps.

Cue the mini starter recommendations... :mob:
Thanks John. I currently have the timing set at 0 backed off 2 1/2 degrees from stock, I believe. When I first bought the car I think it was retarded 4 degrees. At that time the starter was sometimes "lazy" after a rotation but always started. It ran ok on 87 octane with 10% ethanol but pinged once advanced to 0 and now I'm feeding her 91 octane without ethanol which cured the ping.

Any opinions or advice on this appreciated. When starting cold my starter motor is always flawless. However when up to operating temperature, like after stopping for ga$, it will sometimes make a crunching sound as the engine fires. It sounds to me as if the starter pinion is either failing to disengage for a split second or it is rotating faster than the engine pinion. Also occasionally it will slow down as the engine fires like a Harley will when pushing against engine compression. The starter looks as old as the car and hasn't failed to fire up the stock 360. Should I just replace the starter?
I agree with replace or rebuild. If you go the mini starter route, @Badvert65 sells conversion kits for the ring terminal mounting studs.

I agree with replace or rebuild. If you go the mini starter route, @Badvert65 sells conversion kits for the ring terminal mounting studs.
Thanks Ben. Any specific recommendations for a mini starter? Are they better/less expensive than a replacement regular size or rebuild of the original? I don't want to find myself stranded at the ga$ station!
Carl

Update on the starter @Big_John @1970FuryConv I now have the static timing set about 3 degrees retarded. I bought a cheap strobe from Amazon that seems to work fine. By itself the timing adjustment cured a pinging issue under light throttle (separate thread here) but didn't eliminate the starter issue. Now I have a re-manufactured mini starter for an early 90's Dodge Ram (thank you Ben). Weird thing was, the second time I went to start the car, when cold, it did the same thing! Then it did it again about a week later. On a hunch I disconnected the main ground wire from the battery negative terminal to the engine block and sanded the ring terminal and the block to remove any corrosion and reassembled. I think that fixed the problem as it hasn't occurred since. I also bought a can of DeOxit spray and treated several terminals in the starter circuit since then as insurance. My question is whether to spray into the connectors at the bulkhead connector. I've loosened the bolt that secures the plastic "splash guard" above the bulkhead connector and it all looks dry and dusty like it has never been disturbed. I don't want to damage any of the connections as the car is running great and everything works apart from the clock (which does very slowly rotate). I have installed the under hood ammeter bypass last winter but have not done a bulkhead bypass mod(yet).
Any thoughts much appreciated!

Last edited:
Update on the starter @Big_John @1970FuryConv I now have the static timing set about 3 degrees retarded. I bought a cheap strobe from Amazon that seems to work fine. By itself the timing adjustment cured a pinging issue under light throttle (separate thread here) but didn't eliminate the starter issue. Now I have a re-manufactured mini starter for an early 90's Dodge Ram (thank you Ben). Weird thing was, the second time I went to start the car, when cold, it did the same thing! Then it did it again about a week later. On a hunch I disconnected the main ground wire from the battery negative terminal to the engine block and sanded the ring terminal and the block to remove any corrosion and reassembled. I think that fixed the problem as it hasn't occurred since. I also bought a can of DeOxit spray and treated several terminals in the starter circuit since then as insurance. My question is whether to spray into the connectors at the bulkhead connector. I've loosened the bolt that secures the plastic "splash guard" above the bulkhead connector and it all looks dry and dusty like it has never been disturbed. I don't want to damage any of the connections as the car is running great and everything works apart from the clock (which does very slowly rotate). I have installed the under hood ammeter bypass last winter but have not done a bulkhead bypass mod.
Any thoughts much appreciated!
Glad you found the problem!
I use WD40 on connectors. Good lubricant and corrosion preventative.
I have not used DeOxit.
Slow clock is probably just the clock.

Glad you found the problem!
I use WD40 on connectors. Good lubricant and corrosion preventative.
I have not used DeOxit.
Slow clock is probably just the clock.
I've used WD40 especially on my 1976 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle for decades but it does end up greasy and dirty after a while! I've seen people here recommend DeOxit and thought I'd give it a try. It might be good for my guitar amps and equipment too!
Eventually I'll get to the clock in my 71 Fury but there are other issues to work through that take higher priority.

I've used WD40 especially on my 1976 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle for decades but it does end up greasy and dirty after a while! I've seen people here recommend DeOxit and thought I'd give it a try. It might be good for my guitar amps and equipment too!
Eventually I'll get to the clock in my 71 Fury but there are other issues to work through that take higher priority.
Starting is a major issue. Glad you got it fixed!!!

I have no experience with the issue you had. I imagine poor ground created too much current draw through the starter, which kept it engaged with the ring gear on the torque converter for too long. Starters don't like turning at running engine rpm.

I've never had an issue with grease or dirt from WD40.

What's the next high priority issue?

Starting is a major issue. Glad you got it fixed!!!

I have no experience with the issue you had. I imagine poor ground created too much current draw through the starter, which kept it engaged with the ring gear on the torque converter for too long. Starters don't like turning at running engine rpm.

I've never had an issue with grease or dirt from WD40.

What's the next high priority issue?
I'm not 100% positive that I've fixed the problem as it was intermittent but time will tell. It crossed my mind that the additional current needed to provide ignition sparks at running rpm robbed current from the starter as the engine fired but I'm no auto electrician. It could also be an intermittent poor contact in the ignition switch that hasn't recurred yet. Anyway good for now!
Next is a front end alignment. Steering wheel is slightly off center and the car pulls to the right. Then a friend that does paintless dent removal has said he'll iron out several dings along the passenger side. Looks like the car was in a garage next to a family hauler for years and it got door dinged repeatedly :rolleyes:
How's progress with your 71 GT?
Carl

I'm not 100% positive that I've fixed the problem as it was intermittent but time will tell. It crossed my mind that the additional current needed to provide ignition sparks at running rpm robbed current from the starter as the engine fired but I'm no auto electrician. It could also be an intermittent poor contact in the ignition switch that hasn't recurred yet. Anyway good for now!
Next is a front end alignment. Steering wheel is slightly off center and the car pulls to the right. Then a friend that does paintless dent removal has said he'll iron out several dings along the passenger side. Looks like the car was in a garage next to a family hauler for years and it got door dinged repeatedly :rolleyes:
How's progress with your 71 GT?
Carl
Sorry about the door. Some people don't respect their cars. That was certainly true of my 1971 Fury GT. The farmer beat the hell out of it. I'm still looking for a front subframe. 70 Sport Suburban may be able to help.

Sorry about the door. Some people don't respect their cars. That was certainly true of my 1971 Fury GT. The farmer beat the hell out of it. I'm still looking for a front subframe. 70 Sport Suburban may be able to help.
Good luck finding all that you need for the 71 SFGT. It's a big project and it will be awesome when done.

Mine has somewhat the same issue tho it was restored 12 ish years ago. It seems the starter is faster than the engine and it’s like the car wants to start but the engine doesn’t want to at times but it loves to cold start? It’s so odd mines also a 360 btw

Mine has somewhat the same issue tho it was restored 12 ish years ago. It seems the starter is faster than the engine and it’s like the car wants to start but the engine doesn’t want to at times but it loves to cold start? It’s so odd mines also a 360 btw
Did you try Carl's solution and clean negative battery cable connectors or replace the negative battery cable?

Back