Non C body stuff, except that it involves a FCBO member

Ross Wooldridge

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I wanted to let everyone know about a very special event - and if this is deemed inappropriate to FCBO, then please @Joeychgo feel free to delete this thread.

Some of you know that in addition to being a C body nut, I am also a professional musician. I believe there are a few pro musician members here, so I think I'm not alone here. FWIW, I played with the late great Jeff Healey, the blind blues/jazz guitarist (he was in the movie Road House), in his band The Jazz Wizards. Look it up for some fun.

Anyhow, for the last 3 years I have been involved in producing an album for a vocalist in Hamilton Ontario. Full orchestral/big band record, with all real musicians, recorded the old fashioned way. An enormous undertaking, and it's finally been released. It's music in the grand studio style of singers like Doris Day, Frank Sinatra, Rosy Clooney, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, etc etc. Big band with strings etc. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but at one time, this style of music was the biggest thing going, and as a matter of fact, the people who were buying our C bodies new were likely in the age/income bracket that this kind of music was being played on their C body radios and tape players!!

If anyone is interested, check out Brenda Brown - the album is called Life Among Giants and I think it's pretty darn good, if'n I don't say so myself!!
Brenda Brown Life Among Giants - Google Search

You can buy it at Band Camp:

For the musicians on FCBO, or for those who know about the recording biz, as well as playing piano in the rhythm section, my role on the record was to arrange the music (write out all the parts for each musician), conduct the sessions, play the significant sax, clarinet & piano solos, edit the recordings, mix the tracks, master the record and get it to the pressing. While I've been producing for many years, this is by far the biggest thing I've ever done!!

Let me know what you think!!

Hi Ross, congratulations! Sounds like alot of work. By your description, it's not exactly my up my alley, however there is a time and place for all music. I look forward to listening to it when the mood is right. I'll let you know my thoughts. All the best!

In my opinion anyone who has had the privilege of playing with Jeff Healey is one lucky person. He is one of my favourite singers and his version Angel Eyes ranks top five for me possibly #1.
I will definitely check this out.
Thanks

Yup, performing with Jeff was one of the highlights of my career, plus he was a great friend. I was one of the last people to record with him (posthumously released album Last Call), and I was at his side when he passed away.

It was a huge loss not only for you but the music industry worldwide. He was really starting to make his mark on the world when he passed. Music today is more about the show versus great vocals and great instrumentals. Sounds like you make quite an impact with him.

Wow nicely done! I have always been interested in how music is produced and released. I know nothing about how it is done, but can appreciate when it is done right with all the nuances that make a great recording.

I will check it out. I grew up in a house where big band music was often playing and have always had a love for a good horn section.:)

Ross you didn't disappoint. I was hoping that if anything was going to be on vinyl this album should be. I ordered my copy. Good luck can't wait to get it.

Very cool.
Didn't realize you had played for or with Jeff Healey.
Saw him a few times in the late 90's & early 2000's.

Very nice Ross.I have a brother who is in music on a professional level, Keyboards mainly but he plays any instrument plus composes. I've been in a studio while he was recording so I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into the production of an album.

Very nice, thanks for posting.

Just curious any pictures of the equipment used to cut the vinyl, or it that so specialized now that you send off the master to have it done?

Ross. If the INN ON THE PARK up on Eglinton waz still standing and you played the Cocktail Lounge (even tho' it's a small vinue by your standards, I'd fly in and keep you sipping Opus One between sets for your whole engagement, HONEST. Jer

Opus # 1 is a fantastic tune - I have that arrangement in my big band dance book!

My other Tommy Dorsey fave is Well Git It!

Cool anecdote - the clarinet solos in both of the aforementioned Tommy Dorsey recordings were played by the late Buddy DeFranco whom I had the pleasure of doing a jazz clarinet clinic with in Toronto about 15 years ago.

Last edited:
That sounds great! Very impressive. Listened to all of it.
Good music doesn't know age.
I'm 44 and love big band.
That's what is in the back ground in my garage right now.
I switch back and forth from Heavy Metal to Big Band.
Thanks for posting! Very relevant.

Just curious any pictures of the equipment used to cut the vinyl, or it that so specialized now that you send off the master to have it done?

Vinyl is cut and pressed in Germany, so I was not able to view the process up close unfortunately. A digital master is sent to their facility and they create the "metal masters" and the stamping moulds.

So you played the Sax, Clarinet and piano on all of those songs?
Very Impressive! I have a lot of respect for musicians ability to create such beauty.

I played the piano in the rhythm section, and the clarinet/sax solos - the sax section is composed of 5 players from my big band. 2 altos, 2 tenors, 1 bari.

Hey Ross my great aunt and uncle were musicians. He I was told played with Glen Miller and maybe Tommy Dorsey. He then started his own big band in Chicago. His name was Frankie Masters and my aunt was Phyllis Miles. As for me I got none of their talent. I can't hardly clap to the beat. I guess they were pretty successful in the Midwest.

Hey Ross my great aunt and uncle were musicians. He I was told played with Glen Miller and maybe Tommy Dorsey. He then started his own big band in Chicago. His name was Frankie Masters and my aunt was Phyllis Miles. As for me I got none of their talent. I can't hardly clap to the beat. I guess they were pretty successful in the Midwest.
A Wikipedia page as well as many others about him on the net.

Back