NOS wheelcover find

Major score... That made in the USA stamp on the backside is just as nice to see as the front side.

I'll post in this thread as it already contains the thought we (with heavy hubcaps) all dread... losing one.

Not that I've had the time to do anything with the idea, but I've thought of using the 80s style of wire-wheel retainers with these hubcaps.

Essentially you'd need to remove the "eagle" center piece and make it something that could be easily reattached. A piece of industrial-type velcro might work for that as the weight would be very low, with low centrifugal force at the center.

Then you'd make a hole at the center of the cap, probably reinforced with a washer on each side. Bolt goes through that. Velcro covered emblem hides it all.

Anyone else think about this? Please exploit this idea, I'll never find the time.

s-l300(2).jpg

Don't over think it Carmine, I'm on my second '67 and I've never lost one yet!
I agree, I can’t imagine a situation outside of a high speed chase through San Francisco where one of these would come off If it was in good condition to begin with. If someone tried to steal one that was bolted down unknowingly in the center it wouldn’t be worth a damn when they gave up.

I agree, I can’t imagine a situation outside of a high speed chase through San Francisco where one of these would come off If it was in good condition to begin with. If someone tried to steal one that was bolted down unknowingly in the center it wouldn’t be worth a damn when they gave up.

How about the expansion strips on I-40 through Oklahoma? Lost one of these exact caps that survived driving all the way from Phoenix. It landed on its edge and was destroyed. And if someone tried to steal one that wasn't locked, you wouldn't have it anyway!

I too fear that I'll lose one when my Imperial is restored. They weigh a ton.
So much that they needed to be balanced at the factory (see pic) to help prevent "fly off".

unnamed.jpg

Back