Not a C but very bizarre...65 Coronet 383HP 3-speed for sale in PA

repairing my leaking heater box

DSC05720.JPG
DSC05746.JPG

DSC05742.JPG

thanks, which 2 hose coming out of the firewall go where on the water pump? can't find in SM

thanks, which 2 hose coming out of the firewall go where on the water pump? can't find in SM
Probably doesn't matter. I saved this pic from a '65 Satellite survivor that had less than 500 miles (no joke), it shows the routing.
65 Sat ebay 459 miles 01.jpg

thank-you, similar to the later years. 500 miles, hard to believe but anything is possible. the storage to prevent moisture would be hard.

Last edited:
installed a couple gauges, most all components have been rebuilt and patina left, I'm leaving engine bay original 59K miles , no rust just paint flaked off
DSC05749.JPG
DSC05749.JPG

installed a couple gauges, most all components have been rebuilt and patina left, I'm leaving engine bay original 59K miles , no rust just paint flaked off

Nice. Believe on MT cars the hoses are stacked in the U-shaped bracket to right of air cleaner in pic. Also the throttle return spring should attach at the throttle cable.

Nice. Believe on MT cars the hoses are stacked in the U-shaped bracket to right of air cleaner in pic. Also the throttle return spring should attach at the throttle cable.

Thank-you, I'll have to get smaller spring.

I can tell you from driving my 3 on da tree wagon it does have similar gearing to a 727,
First gear is very short.
But Second gear is a wide ratio. I can put-put around town as low as 15 MPH in traffic without having to gear down. I usually hit Third at 30/40 MPH depending on traffic. At WOT in Second is good for 70!!
Third gear is direct drive just like a 727.
Reverse is not syncronized,BTW

That poor Z car didn't stand a chance :)

Thank-you, I'll have to get smaller spring.
I think your spring is the correct one. It matches my car ('65 Sat) & others. I think somehow the throttle & kickdown springs on the low mile automatic car got switched. Think your car is so cool, if I had any room I'd have beat you to the punch.:thumbsup:

I think your spring is the correct one. It matches my car ('65 Sat) & others. I think somehow the throttle & kickdown springs on the low mile automatic car got switched. Think your car is so cool, if I had any room I'd have beat you to the punch.:thumbsup:

yeah, the sellers mentioned they had lookers, all it would have taken was a person willing to overlook a few things and pop with the cash. They (widow) was not moving on the price . I've driven the car perhaps 100-150 miles
the transmission, rear axle, all function properly so I think I did ok for todays market, no bargain,, but those days are long gone, now you just hope you don't get screwed too bad. show a couple pic of your Satellite

yeah, the sellers mentioned they had lookers, all it would have taken was a person willing to overlook a few things and pop with the cash. They (widow) was not moving on the price . I've driven the car perhaps 100-150 miles
the transmission, rear axle, all function properly so I think I did ok for todays market, no bargain,, but those days are long gone, now you just hope you don't get screwed too bad. show a couple pic of your Satellite
Actually I think they could have got more money for the Coronet had they done a better job of advertising. One measly ad on CL is really not enough these days.

Here’s my ’65. It has a lot more miles than yours but is a nice original western car that never had any rust. It was a mechanical mess when I bought it & was unsafe to drive. Typical of the type of work done was the heater box. It was leaking at the control valve & core. Their solution was to try & fill it up with RTV & put the hoses back on. It barfed antifreeze all over the nice original carpet. I took the carpets out for a thorough scrubbing & managed to save them. I never drive the car in cold weather so I elected to leave out the internals when I redid the heater box. The car can be driven anywhere now. One other thing I’d do if you haven’t already is check all 4 wheel bearings. That old grease can get really petrified.
sat 1.JPG
sat 2.JPG
sat 3.JPG

Actually I think they could have got more money for the Coronet had they done a better job of advertising. One measly ad on CL is really not enough these days.

Here’s my ’65. It has a lot more miles than yours but is a nice original western car that never had any rust. It was a mechanical mess when I bought it & was unsafe to drive. Typical of the type of work done was the heater box. It was leaking at the control valve & core. Their solution was to try & fill it up with RTV & put the hoses back on. It barfed antifreeze all over the nice original carpet. I took the carpets out for a thorough scrubbing & managed to save them. I never drive the car in cold weather so I elected to leave out the internals when I redid the heater box. The car can be driven anywhere now. One other thing I’d do if you haven’t already is check all 4 wheel bearings. That old grease can get really petrified.
View attachment 408640 View attachment 408641 View attachment 408642

That is a sweet looking car! What's the history behind the car and your discovery?

Last edited:
That is a sweet looking car! What's the history behind the car and your discovery?
Thanks!
Have had the car for 7 years. Was found on a random CL search much like yours. It was in Lake Havasu AZ, owner sent a lot of close-up pics & I went out to see it. Guy was asking over book but it really had no rust anywhere so I made offer & he accepted. I value rust-free a lot because it’s so darn rare in old cars & rust is just a PITA to fix. The mechanicals turned out to be somewhat of a nightmare so I went through everything top to bottom & now it’s a super reliable driver. Similar to yours it’s a stripper with no power options but came with the 383HP & 4-speed as well as a tach, sort of an early Roadrunner. I am super fond of ’65 Plymouths as I had a ’65 Belvedere I with zero options as a younger guy & drove it all over the country without a breakdown. It lasted nearly a quarter million miles. I’m very familiar with that 3-speed, it’s very rugged if used within its limitations but not in the same league as an A833. The one in my Belvedere lasted 230k before I changed it out because of worn synchros.

Don’t know too much about the history of the Satellite other than it was originally bought in NC where it was then taken to CA, supposedly San Diego where it stayed with a long term owner. It then wound up in Las Vegas through a couple owners when it was flipped to the guy I bought it from in AZ. I’m working on it right now doing maintenance before I put it away for winter.

Driving w/o outside rear mirror takes some getting use to, I have made "home made" solution with out drilling holes. just for trips
DSC05744.JPG

Back