NOT MINE Not Mine 1963 GAZ-13 Chaika - La Jolla, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-revorNobody

Reaction score
This car is not mine, just found it on Ebay and am posting it here…

Interesting...I remember watching the top gear episode about this thing..hmm I know there's a dealer in Massachusetts that imports GAZ Volgas...wonder if they import the Black V8 Volgas...

The price...is uh...also interesting...

1963 ГАЗ-13 Чайка - La Jolla, California

eBay Description
Gaz 13 ChaikaMade in USSR. Top Government Officials Car.

Gaz 13, produced from 1959 to 1981.
Only 3,179 examples built during the 22 years of production.
Not more than 150 left in the world.
This, exclusive luxury car 1963 year made.
Very few, if not only one car in US.
In 1996 it was restored in Molotov Garage (best restoration firm in Moscow).
Since, that time kept in garage in California.
Restoration completed 1000 miles ago.
Car runs and drives like new, ready for any parade, shows or touring rally,
beautiful car, must see AUTOMOBILE!!!
Good Luck and Thanks for Looking!
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-14.jpg
s-l1600-9.jpg
s-l1600-10.jpg
s-l1600-12.jpg
s-l1600-13.jpg
s-l1600-15.jpg

'56 Packard meets '56 Plymouth? The Russian ZIL limos were definitely '56 Packard-inspired.

CBODY67

That radio is pretty cool! Looking at the buttons, it appears that each button is a different band for AM and SW frequency bands. Push the button, then dial in the frequency, like older radios. Most like a VW or M-B from the '50s (AM/SW) or '60s with the three-band radios (AM/FM/SW).

The '57 Bonneville look is dead-on from the rear, I'd never considered that before. From the front, there is definite Packard and 1955 Lincoln influence, if not outright styling theft! Supposedly, the Soviets re-engineered a "missing" Packard back in the day and copied various styling and engineering points to build the Chaika. And the engine intake looks like (at a glance) a '60s Hemi Rat Roaster intake, but considerably smaller and heavier.

Since these were generally cars that were owned by higher-ups in the Party, they were chauffeured around. Chauffeurs had the hard leather seat to contend with, while the rear seat passengers were swaddled in high-end cloth, or perhaps mohair. I had the opportunity to buy a 1950 Chaika in the Netherlands back in 1990. It looked like a cross between a 1946 Cadillac/Buick/Pontiac mash-up. Front seat had leather, rear was cloth. Very big and imposing car!

Seller might well be whacked in the head at $220K, but as the adage goes - "Find another one!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back