For Sale Not mine- '69 Newport coupe, console auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crv

Reaction score
Contact seller
Not sure if we've seen this one on here before:
1969 Chrysler Newport
Warsaw, IN · 14 hours ago
$5,500
  • About this vehicle
  • Driven 66,429 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior colour: White · Interior colour: Black
  • Seller information
    wcA9yuYmScwr5nHuLJQTVTBnHjgLdY5j8aeUOJKGkBHQ&_nc_ohc=yqMVIBKko9MAX8M9OvR&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg
    Steven Culman

Mopar Swap/buy1969 Chrysler Newport 2 dr. hard top, (Rare) bucket seats w/console option, 2 Owner, Only 69429 original miles. #'s matching 383 cu. in., 3 spd. automatic trans., power steering, new power brake booster and brakes, air conditioning, rear defogger. Have original title dealer invoice etc.. Solid floors, great shape for her age! Good old reliable cruiser! Has had 1 repaint w/minimal rust repair. Has basically been stored the last 20+ years of its life. Not perfect!! But a cheap cruiser / great cruise in car. She will float down the road at 70 mph just like a old sled should! Head turner, fun to drive! You can even haul a boat to your favorite fishing hole. Drive her home! No trailer required for this one.. The price is pretty firm... No trades wanted at this price.. But willing to see what you have as long as it is a clean pre 1980 american 2 door car or truck. If interested, please just schedule a time to look at her. The pictures do it pretty good justice. Come see it for yourself. Less
  • 4ZcL6FPxBKleSvLKYJ2S2mQu8gzyPG3eG9hzddpGlcWA&_nc_ohc=1gz45QP4fuQAX_oT0Gp&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• zkirXcCM-LGink7LpYmNPUiMqq4HQAn4ZChdDxr1ftdg&_nc_ohc=pnwnPU38lzgAX93LOO9&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• R1F7inB98_Ss7yiEsBaKn_Dz5XV82INSfZzbxXmw37GA&_nc_ohc=yaKY3EPEXtsAX8Zx2oK&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• rSUMmXk-XmwMrftoxfuoUPxgllZllJcCPzpybJW0M7uQ&_nc_ohc=RwQfpkpxbbEAX-k8gso&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• DW6N8Kb6NqHbzrB-czbstxvlW3zi-LDDBfHDQ9SNEsMA&_nc_ohc=iPLtdz2BUd4AX_SKWYZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• 6TSw7UP7Aqw88qRi-6io9oLsz0MH8QohYgH70NgYik1w&_nc_ohc=k_o293zyTBEAX-pbGBR&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• T7fqRjNE5b-H8Ypwma9pwkIpLVWMMfnufBcnSjhhQv9g&_nc_ohc=AyG48gzWFgQAX_M0Pl9&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• 70OujnmmLgtYbAtC7oLvPFKPT2Fnp4BZzcgll5-kAA4A&_nc_ohc=p1TWrf3rhAgAX9dLpii&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• VEkNxTpfd_z06XdrAC-b7rqQXhYB03UHoILIQNyljB8Q&_nc_ohc=0lFRoV13P_MAX9Vm2yW&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• DHEg0UGIcDhjNDKpuEpebCnpZ-u7IuZdQGXMRK4j6Gfw&_nc_ohc=1GAn1Q8DrMYAX8F8T6S&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• 1EVw9L8pSBNPJl_8NfK5Y_P8OM3D9RGspP9ZMTrcPXIA&_nc_ohc=VuBwY6IyPgMAX9Pnax-&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• 3lpvg-m9LN_TWhV_x2f-Z4rDExXYbhHJdE_FfCgnrObA&_nc_ohc=aW-7P4uz2DgAX-yBOMJ&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• wEPe08rhDTuRycfGz7jxtkkwctnO12iWQ38TyDMoTaZw&_nc_ohc=BjAly9HAaaEAX87FDFl&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

• hgEeqUlR4QGXcVUhyx-5T0E1mPeqxshL4NkBT5jPSinQ&_nc_ohc=8-eCwABWSqEAX_V_5Du&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl3-1.jpg

Interior shows mold, lots of what looks like over spray on the firewall and the air cleaner. OEM heater control appears to be leaking. Car is not all that bad looking but underside photos, trunk floor photos and location of the previous rust repair a must on a rust belt car. Repaint looks to be a miracle auto or equivalent.

Dave

It's good to have others on here point these things out for any prospective buyer to consider.

Mopars and mold go hand in hand. I don't know what's in that black plastic but mold loves it.
If my 68 Coronet is left in the dark the dash gets covered.
So many black interior cars, the dash sweats an oily substance. I think the mold lives on that stuff.
Never seen it in a non Mopar.

Last edited:
The sticker shows it to be a nicely equipped car. I think this would be a nice cruiser. The price sounds negotiable, he states "pretty firm" which translates to what he gets offered. I bet it will clean up nice, but of course an eyeball inspection would be required.

That new booster, which appears to be a drum-brake style, is kinda disconcerting on a disc-brake car, and needs corrected before driving it regularly. Any other repairs been done poorly, I wonder?

But lots of potential in this one - 2dr, decent overall condition, black interior in good shape, and buckets/console to boot. If I was in the market I'd be driving north with money.

That new booster, which appears to be a drum-brake style, is kinda disconcerting on a disc-brake car, and needs corrected before driving it regularly. Any other repairs been done poorly, I wonder?

But lots of potential in this one - 2dr, decent overall condition, black interior in good shape, and buckets/console to boot. If I was in the market I'd be driving north with money.

While that booster on this Newport at issue is not the original dual diaphragm type used in 1969 on disc brake cars, Chrysler models did switch over to that single diaphragm one in 1971 across the board on disc brake models (same kelsey hayes disc brake system) except on wagons and Imperials, in which case they had to have the dual diaphragm ones to stop reasonably effectively.

What concerns me more and is consistent with your potential poor repairs question is the evidence that the heater valve has already miserably failed and it is still on the car.

It does appear that the front bucket seats have been repaired with a non stock pattern on the seat bottoms especially and the front seat backs don't really match the rear seats either and the top of the bucket seat back is not the factory contour in the area of where the headrests were installed on later cars that year. It is entirely inconsistent with the rear seat pattern as well.

Last edited:
That is a decent price for a car with no rust and decent looking paint isn't it?

Good catch on the front seats, I saw that pattern in the bottoms but didn't notice that the tops and rears were different.

Trying to learn, not to start an argument:
Agreed that 71-up went to single-diaphragm, but this car's doesn't look like the type I've seen on 71-up disc cars, which is this one, with a pocket where the MC mounts and a forward-facing crimp. I now notice the MC on the FS car looks like same-sized reservoirs, which suggests a drumbrake MC too?
upload_2020-3-14_16-7-37.png

One on the left below is the 'slabside' drumbrake booster with the screw-clamp and a pocket where the MC mounts, the righthand looks like what I've seen on drumbrake Fuseys? And kinda resembles the one on this car due to the orientation of the crimp? Or does the FS car have some aftermarket will-fit booster for discs?
upload_2020-3-14_16-13-45.png

It looks to be a reproduction drum booster to me. The crimp does not match my original.
When I swapped my brakes I learned a couple of things. . the larger diameter single diaphragm from the 73 would not fit on my car 2. I could not find a 69 disc style dual diaphragm. Drum units are available I had recently bought one.
What I did was buy a disc dual diaphragm for a 70's d150. In pictures I could see the stamping appeared to be the same or similar with the correct diameter.
Been on the car several years now.

Good catch on the front seats, I saw that pattern in the bottoms but didn't notice that the tops and rears were different.

Trying to learn, not to start an argument:
Agreed that 71-up went to single-diaphragm, but this car's doesn't look like the type I've seen on 71-up disc cars, which is this one, with a pocket where the MC mounts and a forward-facing crimp. I now notice the MC on the FS car looks like same-sized reservoirs, which suggests a drumbrake MC too?
View attachment 360199
One on the left below is the 'slabside' drumbrake booster with the screw-clamp and a pocket where the MC mounts, the righthand looks like what I've seen on drumbrake Fuseys? And kinda resembles the one on this car due to the orientation of the crimp? Or does the FS car have some aftermarket will-fit booster for discs?
View attachment 360200

We are here for the same reasons, no issue at all. Here is what I can do to help the dialog based on what boosters are on my cars that range from 1969 to 1973 that are unrestored vehicles......

This is what I believe to be the original booster on my 1970 Chrysler 300 with disc brakes (80K miles) - dual diaphragm

2020-03-14 00.00.11.jpg

And this is from a second 1970 Chrysler 300 also with disc brakes - this one is a rebuilt booster using the original booster (205K miles) ...............again dual diaphragm (side note - this is my avatar car that I had with me when I worked for Chrysler in Detoit, but never drove it in the winter and it was always garaged. It is probably one of my most treasured cars since I have many memories driving this car all over the country - I bought it used in 1972 at Birmingham Chrysler just north of Detroit with 29K miles on it)

2020-03-14 00.00.57.jpg

And this is an original brake booster from one of my 1971 Chrysler 300s, also with disc brakes (80K miles) larger diameter single diaphragm

2020-03-14 00.01.30.jpg

This is another 1971 Chrysler New Yorker also with disc brakes and its original brake booster (36K miles)

2020-03-14 00.02.00.jpg

This is an NOS replacement booster for my 1971 Chryslers - I ordered 5 of them and this is what they sent as a factory replacement for all 5, some of which were ordered at different times......

2020-03-14 00.03.13.jpg

This is a factory original brake booster on my 1973 Monaco with disc brakes, and note that it looks like the NOS booster that Mopar sent as a replacement for the factory original comparable 1971 booster (80K miles).....this leads me to believe this is the booster that the factory put on the disc brake cars starting with probably the 1972 models (I do not own any 1972 C bodies).

2020-03-14 00.06.17.jpg

And this is the booster that appears original to my 1969 Chrysler 300 with 70K miles and factory drum brakes. Visually, it looks like a smaller diameter than the single diaphragms on the 71 and up cars.

2020-03-14 00.07.04.jpg

In looking at the information available on the car at hand in this thread, it appears from the window monroney that the car originally came with factory heavy duty drum brakes with (B51) power assist.

In looking at the brake pedal on this car, it appears to have a disc brake pedal dress up surround, so I would guess it has been converted to factory disc brakes by an owner of the car, including the appropriate pedal that would go along with it. Accordingly, the owner did install the correct disc brake master cylinder and must have ordered a replacement brake booster and was sent one that is the same as for my 1971 and up C bodies when ordered as replacement from Mopar for 1969 and up C bodies with disc brakes.

This hopefully will clarify things on an issue that confused me for some time too.

Now in going forward to restore my vehicles, I face the question as to whether to just have my original boosters replaced or use the factory replacements that mopar supplied. :realcrazy: :BangHead:

One of the tougher questions I face in life.......................:steering:

Last edited:
In looking at the information available on the car at hand in this thread, it appears from the window monroney that the car originally came with factory heavy duty drum brakes with (B51) power assist.

In looking at the brake pedal on this car, it appears to have a disc brake pedal dress up surround, so I would guess it has been converted to factory disc brakes by an owner of the car, including the appropriate pedal that would go along with it. Accordingly, the owner did install the correct disc brake master cylinder and must have ordered a replacement brake booster and was sent one that is the same as for my 1971 and up C bodies when ordered as replacement from Mopar for 1969 and up C bodies with disc brakes.
Agreed on all of the pics you posted, although the gold NOS booster I hadn't seen before.

My bottom pic is from a 40k-mile '72 I had, and the '85' sticker is in a depression, same as the booster on your yellow '71 pictured above. I'd conclude that the gold-NOS-style booster was therefore transitioned in '72 or started in '73?

For the B51, yeah, seems this car was converted and someone swapped the pedal-pad, but this booster still doesn't look exactly like an OEM booster to me. From your 69 drum-brake car, the red-marked area isn't on the booster on this for-sale car (and I noticed that immediately when I first saw the FS car's booster, that it didn't match my memory of what it should look like).

But!!! - I'm assuming it has disc brakes due to the pedal, but maybe someone just swapped pedals for the chrome, and it is still a drum-brake car??? Re-reviewing the posted info, nothing is said about discs, the pedal pad is the sole info.

upload_2020-3-14_19-32-11.png
upload_2020-3-14_19-31-26.png

upload_2020-3-14_19-40-0.png

And if I stumble into some $$ and a spare slot, maybe I need to be seeing what 69-71 Fusey you might have for sale in the future!:thumbsup:

And if I stumble into some $$ and a spare slot, maybe I need to be seeing what 69-71 Fusey you might have for sale in the future!:thumbsup:

I would have to agree that your 1972 booster does look still different than the 71 mopar replacement one so maybe they started using the mopar replacement like my gold one in 1973 then. And the booster on the car at issue in this thread does seem to match the replacement for the 71 except it doesn't have the 85 sticker and it is gray, not gold. I guess it is a crap shoot as to what was really going on at Chrysler relative to boosters in that period.

Feel free to inquire about what I might have for sale in the future if you would like. At this point I have quite a few cars still, but most need restorations and the ones that were already nice were sold years ago. Now I have to decide the priorities for the ones I still have. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back