not sure about wire.

carguy300

Reaction score
I got a updated harness from Bill Evans for the 68 300. Got most figured out but I have a long brown wire with an eyelet term on the end. The other end goes to Starter relay. This brown wire is long enough to go around to the alternator side. I also got the blind mans version of colored, laminated wire diagram for 68 chyrs. The only brown wire it shows coming off the relay is for neutral safety sw. Now i'm confused. I did unplug a connection behind the intake leading to the trans, but i dont have a wire for that in the new harness. Any suggestions?

That sounds exactly like the neutral safety switch wire.

For a '68 NSS, it would be a ring terminal connection at the NSS on the trans.

The '68, as John noted is a single wire NSS and it is a brown wire that hooks to it.

Dave

That's your neutral safety switch lead, sho 'nuff! They're brown, go from the terminal on the NSS on your tranny, and run up the firewall, then over to the starter relay. Its a Normally Closed (NC) switch, providing a ground for your relay to run the ignition circuit, hence the engine. It opens if you shift into reverse or Park while rolling forward. (DON'T TRY THIS!) You can verify its function with a continuity tester after you connect that ring terminal to the NSS. Then, attach it to the proper connection on your starter relay. You CAN, in a pinch, just ground the starter relay terminal meant for the NSS, but you will be depriving yourself of a basic, important safety circuit. Hook it up, just so.

Back