Not your typical Marine graduation.

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I just got back from Parris Island South Carolina where my Niece just graduated. She is the third of my Nieces and Nephew to go in the Marines and it looks like in seven months there'll be another going into the Air Force. Both of my Nephews went to San Diego for their basic training but my Niece went to SC as that is where all the girls go.

Right up to the point I was to fly out I had no idea what was going to happen as things were up in the air with the hurricane heading that way. They ended up having the evacuate the base, that was 6000+ recruits, while inbound I find out that graduation is on and later in the day and the family day was canceled as there was major cleanup on base that needed to happen.

Once at the base for graduation we noticed recruits on the Parade Deck in their camouflage utility uniform, our thought was that was a different group or they will go change into their dress uniforms. Once the ceremony was under way the first thing we noticed was that the band came out in their utility uniform, we weren't sure if they just did things different than San Diego or if it was due to the state of the base. When the recruits came out they were in their utility uniforms as well.

Colleen4E.jpg

The ceremony was great as they always are, it was different seeing a field of green uniforms. After the ceremony we had a very short time to congratulate here before she and here parents had to race to the airport as their flight was planed for an earlier ceremony, they got to the airport with 2 minutes to spare.

Almost form the day she could speak she was set on going into the military.
Colleen3E.jpg

IMG_2930.JPG

It turns out because of the evacuation they were not able to get the dress uniform fitting done so they ended up in the utility uniform.

Alan

Back