now i know where the mouse smell was coming from

67newport

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
giving my non c body a bath today 1st time in a while. had a dead mouse small since last year. though it was in my duct work boy was i wrong. while vacuuming out the back seat i decided to pull down my back seat and look in the trunk thats when i seen the little black pellets. then i opened up the truck and this is what i found. how they got in there i have no idea and 1st car that ever had mice in the trunk. nothing in the interior showing they were in there. pulled everything out and vacumed every thing and a lot of stuff down in my spare tire well also. looks like the inside trunk is getting dryer sheets also.
upload_2021-6-6_0-8-51.jpeg

upload_2021-6-6_0-9-54.jpeg

upload_2021-6-6_0-10-21.jpeg

upload_2021-6-6_0-11-16.jpeg

I have three 66 C body cars. Two had engines when I got them, both 383's and both had sat for a while. The first one in my '66 Fury was a previous owner cluster **** of mid 70's crap on a '69 383. I pulled it to clean it up and inspect etc while getting rid of the 70's stuff. The first exhaust manifold I pulled a bunch of kitty kibble spilled out. Stupid mice storing food...and then I thought I better have a look at which valves were open and which were closed. Sure enough, #8 had an open exhaust valve and the little buggers had about a cup or so of kibble stored in there. I'm glad I never tried to fire it first. Ended up tearing it down to short block, all new gaskets, seals etc.

More recently I picked up a '66 300 4 door sedan parts car, with 383. Previous owner had been prepping for paint and gave up on the car. I got it cheap, has a 383. While removing the engine i removed the driver's exhaust manifold...same story, but with dried peas. Open exhaust valve...check. "Barn finds" are great, all you gotta do is replace everything. :wtf:

wan't there a topic in here at one time on how to keep mice out?

Nasty little fuckers. Out here we also have pack rats. I've seen cars that sat for as little as a month with a pile of mesquite tree seed pods, cactus pieces, coyote ****, and whatever other garbage they can find. They'll chew through any wire, brake hose, or cable. I've heard of peppermint oil, pine oil, etc. It doesn't work. Snap traps baited with a little peanut butter and a whole peanut or two are the only way to prevent them from getting in. Put one at all four corners of your car. They usually use the tires to get up into the vehicle.

Back