O.E.. Mopar Torque Strap?? big block.

BigCRig

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this? http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/4938245926.html
01717_gUMtWzf8fTb_600x450.jpg
00O0O_hP40AMNyBhw_600x450.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the pieces but here is one on my 69 440
2014-09-17_005.jpg

That isn't just a spacer at the top, it has a shoulder that fits into the ring, the lower ring just has a bushing in the ring.
The idea is that the bolts do not clamp down or compress the ring.
If you look at the cable in the Craigslist listing you'll see that the inside is rolled in as well. Even with all the bolts torqued down the cable is floating.

Alan

I don't have any pictures of the pieces but here is one on my 69 440
2014-09-17_005.jpg

That isn't just a spacer at the top, it has a shoulder that fits into the ring, the lower ring just has a bushing in the ring.
The idea is that the bolts do not clamp down or compress the ring.
If you look at the cable in the Craigslist listing you'll see that the inside is rolled in as well. Even with all the bolts torqued down the cable is floating.

Alan

That's not really a Torque strap, or what most people think of a torque strap in general terms ... it's more like a safety strap in case the rubber insulator in the motor mount let's go the engine doesn't spin in the engine compartment and twist all the linkage, brake trans case, trans mount, and bend exhaust etc.

I have seen some of that happen with an early 1960's AF Cracker Box (ambulance)

That's not really a Torque strap, or what most people think of a torque strap in general terms ... it's more like a safety strap in case the rubber insulator in the motor mount let's go the engine doesn't spin in the engine compartment and twist all the linkage, brake trans case, trans mount, and bend exhaust etc.

I have seen some of that happen with an early 1960's AF Cracker Box (ambulance)

I'm not sure what else there could be, a piece of chain? A turnbuckle? Better yet a solid mount.
The only thing I can think of that isn't a saftey strap/cable would be a solid mount (and maybe the turnbuckle), anything else is there to limit the movement if the mount breaks.

From the Mopar Parts Book: CABLE, Engine Roll,

Alan

I wasn't or didn't mean to find fault. I think what they did on the police cars is an excellent idea

To me a torque straps function is to limit ALL rotational motor movement toward the pass side and send the power to the rear as soon as possible (also prevents negative effects of broken motor mount rubber insolators).

Here are some examples

65limiter.jpg

DSC01221.jpg

attachment.php

I personally would never use the engine mount as a mount for a torque strap to limit all rotational movement for fear of breaking the motor mount mounting points on the motor.

This is what I've used instead

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now that was thrown together from the local hardware store!

attachment.php

Now that was thrown together from the local hardware store!

Yes it is but effective and it's adjustable .. and it's not connected to the motor mount mounts. Not mine btw but I've seen things like that or chain

Solid motor mounts are not fun in a daily driver

I'm not sure what else there could be, a piece of chain? A turnbuckle? Better yet a solid mount.
The only thing I can think of that isn't a saftey strap/cable would be a solid mount (and maybe the turnbuckle), anything else is there to limit the movement if the mount breaks.

From the Mopar Parts Book: CABLE, Engine Roll,

Alan

I really can't quit thinking about that design though and it may have had the same basic effect of the schumaker mounts or mity-mounts .. a very simple, effective and excellent design actually and extremely cheap to produce.

I just can't get my head around how much movement it allowed but I think it's more that the mounts I posted above. I'd love to see some go pro video of that setup in action some day Alan

I wasn't or didn't mean to find fault. I think what they did on the police cars is an excellent idea

To me a torque straps function is to limit ALL rotational motor movement toward the pass side and send the power to the rear as soon as possible (also prevents negative effects of broken motor mount rubber insolators).

Here are some examples

65limiter.jpg

DSC01221.jpg

attachment.php

I personally would never use the engine mount as a mount for a torque strap to limit all rotational movement for fear of breaking the motor mount mounting points on the motor.

This is what I've used instead

attachment.php
first one is way overkill but looks professional, second one is a nice piece and looks like a schumacher which i have bought before and the third one looks like it would work fine when you cant afford the second one. they have come a long way with motor mounts eh.

My friend uses the Schumacher poly mounts. Not solid, but close. Not that bad in his 69 Charger. Has their torque strap too, which is basically an improvement on that factory safety strap. He's got a Mopar crate engine and it feels pretty good inside the car. I thought it woulwould be a lot worse, vibration wise, but it isn't. Looks like the middle pic.

My friend uses the Schumacher poly mounts. Not solid, but close. Not that bad in his 69 Charger. Has their torque strap too, which is basically an improvement on that factory safety strap. He's got a Mopar crate engine and it feels pretty good inside the car. I thought it woulwould be a lot worse, vibration wise, but it isn't. Looks like the middle pic.

The schumaker mounts and mity mounts are designed to give a similar or the same ride as factory rubber mounts but, not come apart due to torque. They will give up and down but not pull apart due when torque is applied.

The mount with the cross section view,

attachment.php

There is less rubber. That means, to have the same shear strength , the flex is more rigid resulting in more sensory felt vibration.
I'm slipping that in to look smart... :D

The mount with the cross section view,

attachment.php

There is less rubber. That means, to have the same shear strength , the flex is more rigid resulting in more sensory felt vibration.
I'm slipping that in to look smart... :D

I don't feel a difference in vibration .. just quicker power to the ground upon hard acceleration

It is still rubber or poly isolated like the stock rubber ones .. difference is upon torque application (trying to pull it apart) it locks up.

Back