Off to the body/paint shop

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
After much thought I have decided to have the guy that is going to weld in new metal to go ahead and paint the car too. The car is completely primed and blocked. I was going to paint it myself after success with painting the dash and door jams, but I own painting business is starting to get really busy.

He came and picked it up today in his enclosed trailer and said it will be done in 3-4 weeks. He said to come over any time and check out the progress. He may regret saying that because I will probably stop by every weekend and take to photos.

I'll post pictures of the progress on this thread week by week.

Last edited:
The body and paint segment of a restro is always an exciding time. I was over almost every day when Jazebelle was in the shop..... sanding, tapeing whatever I could do to help and the anticipation still made me crazy........ Can't wait to see the results on yours.:buffer:..........:penguins paint pixi

The body and paint segment of a restro is always an exciding time. I was over almost every day when Jazebelle was in the shop..... sanding, tapeing whatever I could do to help and the anticipation still made me crazy........ Can't wait to see the results on yours.:buffer:..........:penguins paint pixi

Yes the next few weeks I will be crazy waiting in anticipation. He is a young guy that has a 9-5 job at an expensive restoration shop, so he will work on my car on the evenings and weekends. I have seen his work out of his own shop and it was beautiful. Him and his family are very good friends with my neighbors and feel lucky to find a reasonably price guy starting his own business, with several years of experience.

Always good to know a good paint/body man. So many black sheep and it sometimes takes a few years to see what they did wrong.

Or months................

Had a car repainted at the front apron and I could chip the paint off with my fingernail right in their shop as they did not remove the temporary primer for driving it over to the shop as requested by me.

Had a car repainted at the front apron and I could chip the paint off with my fingernail right in their shop as they did not remove the temporary primer for driving it over to the shop as requested by me.
That's really bad when you can't even make it out of the shop. Won't be going back there again, huh?

< Sent from my tablet >

In Germany????

Say it isn't true!!!! LOL!

Always good to know a good paint/body man.

I'm very lucky in that aspect, a close friend is my bodyman, He's actually the guy who helped me haul the Fury's Home, He spent all night helping me move the car I'm currently restoring, it was 12 AM by the time he got home, he came the next morning and helped me bring the parts car over, he's a true friend and has stood behind me the whole way through, even when the Plymouth brought a bad friend to light, so he's my bodyman and I'm happy to have him work on the Plymouth.

End of Hijack.

In Germany????

Say it isn't true!!!! LOL!

Real pain to find a good paint shop around where I live and they all charge for premium work no matter how bad.
As I have very exact imaginations about the work to be done there even came an extensive instruction on paper for the work I wanted; they did not even read the first line which stated: "Remove the rattlecan primer as the paint will go up otherwise".

I will be looking forward to seeing the progress and am excited for you.

He told me that he would take pictures of the progress. Hopefully he will remember to take them. I still plan on checking it out every weekend and taking my own pictures. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't take pictures when I loaded the 300 in his trailer. It was a long trailer, he had a workbench in the front and there was still about 6 feet in front of the car, so you could actually work on the engine in the trailer. That pretty impressive for a 18 foot car, so I'm guessing it was about a 26 foot trailer.

Real pain to find a good paint shop around where I live and they all charge for premium work no matter how bad.
As I have very exact imaginations about the work to be done there even came an extensive instruction on paper for the work I wanted; they did not even read the first line which stated: "Remove the rattlecan primer as the paint will go up otherwise".

No choice.....you have to find a better shop.

Back