Offset measurement between axle flange and diff housing flange on 1961 Chrysler C body 8 & 3/4 with taperex splined axles.

George.Kamarinos

Reaction score
Hi all, am after the offset measurement between the diff housing flange and the tapered splined axle flange on 1961 Chrysler C body Windsor, New Yorker, Newport, Saratoga & 300G.
I have been in touch with reps from Wilwood, Magnum force & the Chrysler 300 Club International however everyone is happy to give their input and criticism but so far no one is happy to pass on this info if they have it. So I'm know reaching out in this forum for help to assist me in making a decision on what set up to use as they are all asking for the offset measurements. I don't want to separate the drum from the axle hub before choosing the product.
My vehicle is a 1961 Chrysler 300G and I am located in Melbourne Australia. Its extremely difficult to source info and parts, so am hopeful this forum can help regards George.

G'Day George,
I'm a Little Confused as to what you are Attempting to do.
The Rest of these Fellas Might Understand But I'm a Little Slow on the Uptake.
I Think I Understand???
Are you Trying to Fit Disc Brakes or Just have Removable Drums or ?
I'm in Sydney, So No Physical Help, But I might be able to Advise.
At My Age Advice is about all I'm Good at.
Tony.M
(Extreme Care is Needed if You are Planning on Separating the Drum from the Hub for any Reason.
Some of My Fellow Club Members have Done so on 62-64 Phoenixs But as I say Care is Needed.)

Hi all, am after the offset measurement between the diff housing flange and the tapered splined axle flange on 1961 Chrysler C body Windsor, New Yorker, Newport, Saratoga & 300G.
I have been in touch with reps from Wilwood, Magnum force & the Chrysler 300 Club International however everyone is happy to give their input and criticism but so far no one is happy to pass on this info if they have it. So I'm know reaching out in this forum for help to assist me in making a decision on what set up to use as they are all asking for the offset measurements. I don't want to separate the drum from the axle hub before choosing the product.
My vehicle is a 1961 Chrysler 300G and I am located in Melbourne Australia. Its extremely difficult to source info and parts, so am hopeful this forum can help regards George.
Just bought front and rear wildwood set for my 66 fury sport and from what I've been told most are 2.36 offset but no way to ensure without measuring. On a side note I'd go with the 6 piston dynapro front option rather than the 4 piston Dynalite if you plan on driving it much. You will get significantly better and more even pad wear not to mention better braking due to the design difference between the two caliper options for the front.

G'Day George,
I'm a Little Confused as to what you are Attempting to do.
The Rest of these Fellas Might Understand But I'm a Little Slow on the Uptake.
I Think I Understand???
Are you Trying to Fit Disc Brakes or Just have Removable Drums or ?
I'm in Sydney, So No Physical Help, But I might be able to Advise.
At My Age Advice is about all I'm Good at.
Tony.M
(Extreme Care is Needed if You are Planning on Separating the Drum from the Hub for any Reason.
Some of My Fellow Club Members have Done so on 62-64 Phoenixs But as I say Care is Needed.)

Hi Tony, from I believe the measurement is between the two flanges and from i understand there are two different set ups. I know with the early Chryslers have the hub sledged to the drum were as the later models the flange is part os the axle. I believe the space between the flanges is what I am after as this space will dictate what rear disc set up I can use with minimal fabrication. I appreciate you taking your time to read my thread.

Hi thank you for the info. I'm looking to keep the original steel wheels and they are 15s and believe a six piston caliper system won't work as I would have to go bigger in the wheels. I believe that Wilwood do a set for the later 8 & 3/4 rear end however you can not use the green bearing retainer and a new has to fabricated..I thank all that have replied as this will help me make a decision in choosing a good setup. George

if you look at the caliper clearance schematics they are almost the same for the 4 piston front and 6 piston front, the 6 piston just protrude out slightly further from the the hub face so you likely won't be able to use 15" steel wheels with either due to the way the steel wheels are made

I believe that that the measurement between the is the same however the two top studs on the housing are higher as the housing flange is round on pre 63, later models the top of the flange is flat there for the top two bolts are are lower and further appart.
Wilwood do a kit for the rear however a new retainer must be fabricated and two new holes drilled on the housing flange. Front I believe that the four piston caliper that comes as standard clears the original steel rims.

Screenshot_20220416-193043_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20220416-193049_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20220416-193058_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20220416-193235_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Back