Status
Not open for further replies.

Polara_500

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
NOT MINE

For Sale

1949 Chris Craft 18-foot Riviera in project condition, must sell.
218-280-2027

This is what Google says it should look like.....at least when done.
upload_2019-6-27_10-51-53.png

Gorgeous boats.... Wouldn't want to maintain one, but stunning none the less.

Years ago when I got recruited to judge a car show (Sully), I was assigned (with a more knowledgeable judge from the Model A Club) to 30's - 40's Woodies. He described them as "all the joy of an antique car AND a Chris Craft boat in ONE vehicle, so it may actually be easier than one of these...……..When I was stationed in Norfolk, an officer I worked with lived aboard a Chris Craft he kept at an inlet, and it sank while we were underway once. That definitely scared me away from them - for professionals ONLY.

Town&Country49.jpg

So how bad is project condition?
And what is the going price for a project condition Chris Craft? I suppose I would have to call the number to find out?

I think the link is missing. So what's the boat that is for sale actually look like?
The link would be to a page that shows what I snipped from the page. Just a local swap shop phone in thing.

I've just always loved the Chris Crafts, considered them a work of art. Don't know a thing about any of them, much less have either the ability and know how or a deep enough pocketbook to consider one, just wanted to share.

I have 2 boats which means I have 2 too many. You would have to be retired to maintain a wood boat yourself. That being said I would love to have one. I agree they are works of art.

I can't keep my fiberglass boat looking good. I can imagine the hours to truly maintain a wood boat properly.

I have an acquaintance who lives about 10 miles from me that restores wood boats for a living. His work is meticulous and he has guys waiting years to restore their boats.

I remember something something that the boat restorer said. Many times a "project" is not worth the money to even attempt to restore. He has turned down work, because they are better off buying a good boat and fixing it up.

Just like our cars if they have been sitting outside for years they reach a point where they are just good for parts.

There were a couple of these old Chris-Crafts on the lake up-north.
It was funny how everybody just stopped what ever they were doing when one cruised by.
They also spent a lot of time in their boathouses under repair but were beautiful boats.

I’ve always wanted one. I wouldn’t even be too picky, barrel back, twin cockpit, triple cockpit, launch, etc..:lol:

Matt, Traverse City has a great wooden boat show on the Boardman River right in town. Usually the first week in August.

SEXY!

00-Chris-Craft For Sale 1955 CHRIS CRAFT 21' COBRA - HEMI.www.absoluteclassicsmarine.com.jpg

Chris-Craft For Sale 1955 CHRIS CRAFT 21' COBRA - HEMI

I remember meeting "The Captain" from our local Marina quite a few years back, when he found out I was a mechanic he asked me if I knew anything about boats... my reply "Yea they are a hole in the water you pour money into" pretty much ended the conversation.

Then in 1976 while visiting a friend that worked at Newport Offshore(?) during the Americas Cup, he gave me a tour of the docks to show me the Aussie boat that had the secret whatdoyoucallit centerboard that they had raised up out of the water and put traps around it so no one could photograph it. Said they were in dire need of a diesel mechanic and wondered if I was looking for work. I already knew that most oil changes needed to be sucked out via a PITA pump & tube and told him "I ain't crawling around in no bilge" to which he showed me the Saudi Arabians's Princes Mediterranean Cigarette Boat about the size of a PT boat but with a more pointy bow. Shazbat or Shazbaa was the name on the stern, he said it had 3 CAT diesels in it with a carpeted walk in engine room, the Prince would go from Cairo to Greece for lunch in it. heh could'a made some serious coin on that job, full service he said it needed, but he did say most of the work in the yard would be on little 2 cylinder diesels in smaller sailboats. Boo, no thanks.

I’d even take this one for Spin.:thumbsup:
This on s drydocked at the Packard Proving Grounds.
A44B7094-54CD-4F45-BB82-91AE25157460.jpeg
4C9B8C0C-498E-49E3-B72B-7AE0504703E6.jpeg
:thumbsup:
1CBDF59C-A93B-4649-8BDE-CFCCDFFE6619.jpeg
B2F0CBBD-C882-441D-9706-11E12ABE2B0E.jpeg
0F416189-FC7D-45A3-81F6-F1A0E9CF6FBA.jpeg
1C35602F-5FB9-4950-A31D-59B7FCDD8BBF.jpeg

I’d even take this one for Spin.:thumbsup:
This on s drydocked at the Packard Proving Grounds.
View attachment 297824

I'd love to have just one of those engines. Don't know what I'd do with it, but I want one.

Edit: Thought about. I'd find an old rig to cram it in and pull my stuff around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back