Oil cap rebuild

Verse

Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the fiber fill in the oil cap/breather ('66 383)? If so what do you use? If not, where do I find a replacement?

They used horse hair, back in the day.
You can remove it and clean it. Reinstall.

Better yet, have you tried to soak it in a good cleaner first??

Is it possible to replace the fiber fill in the oil cap/breather ('66 383)? If so what do you use? If not, where do I find a replacement?

I don't think there is a way to replace the fiber fill in the cap, and the replacement caps (from NAPA, etc.) are not correct. I think that if you run a lot of solvent repeatedly from your parts washer in and through the cap, and then hit it with compressed air, you should be good to go. I did this with the cap on my '66, repainted the cap turquoise, and it looks like new.

The reproductions look good and work. I’ve bought a couple but it was at the Nats so I don’t remember from which vendor.

I don't think there is a way to replace the fiber fill in the cap, and the replacement caps (from NAPA, etc.) are not correct. I think that if you run a lot of solvent repeatedly from your parts washer in and through the cap, and then hit it with compressed air, you should be good to go. I did this with the cap on my '66, repainted the cap turquoise, and it looks like new.

I had a pair of hemi stock car oil breather caps I needed to be chromed. Cut through between the bottom holes, 3-4 in a row, pealed it open and removed the horse hair.
Got them chromed then reinstalled the hair (after cleaning in solvent)
Bent the underside back and good as new.

The original cap can be taken apart by drilling out a rivet and bending tangs on the bottom. Then use ScotchBrite stainless steel scouring pad from the supermarket dishwashing detergent section. Even has a hole in the middle for a perfect fit. 3 for $2.99 at my ShopRite.

Is it possible to replace the fiber fill in the oil cap/breather ('66 383)? If so what do you use? If not, where do I find a replacement?i cut a rubber gasket for my oil cap when the cardboard under it wa worn .i got tired of buying new from the parts store

Back